Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
MGS3 Brought me a "?"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:02 pm
So I beat Metal Gear Solid 3 again a little over a week ago and noticed something near the end.

There's a part where (minor spoilers for those of you who haven't played this game yet. If not, seriously, WTF is wrong with you?) Snake needs to use the SVD to shoot a block of C4 on a rail bridge to destroy it. His right eye has been damaged beyond use not long ago, so when he drops prone to get ready to take the shot, he shoulders the rifle to his right shoulder, but cranes his neck to look down the scope with his left eye.

I never noticed this in previous play-throughs, but I guess I'm even more of a gun nut now than I was then and notice these things more.

In the situation, do you think it would be more reasonable to shoulder and fire with his left side entirely? Or do you think he just fell back on instinct and training to shoulder with his right side, then half-way down to the ground think, "Aw ********, I don't have that eye anymore..." and use his left eye? Or possibly he wasn't confident on a clean trigger pull with his left hand and didn't want to risk a miss.

The shot in question isn't terribly far, but the target is fairly small, and there really is only time for a couple shots. The scene in question may be viewed here at 2:04.

Thoughts?

And yes, the topic is a pun on the soldiers in MGS games having a question mark pop up over their heads when they think they see something moving.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 pm
cross eye dominant?  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:39 pm
You shoulder a rifle based on eye preference over anything else. I've fired with my off-hand once or twice just to prove various points, and it's a bit more difficult, but not impossible. What IS impossible is crawling over the gun to use the wrong eye, especially with a scope. I've tried that, too.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:07 am
Fresnel
You shoulder a rifle based on eye preference over anything else. I've fired with my off-hand once or twice just to prove various points, and it's a bit more difficult, but not impossible. What IS impossible is crawling over the gun to use the wrong eye, especially with a scope. I've tried that, too.

I tried it with my Mosin when I saw him do it. And you'd literally have to have your face behind the stock to look down the sights with the opposite eye. Just thought with the scope mounted higher, it would be possible if uncomfortable.  

ArmasTermin

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:16 am
ArmasTermin
Fresnel

I tried it with my Mosin when I saw him do it. And you'd literally have to have your face behind the stock to look down the sights with the opposite eye. Just thought with the scope mounted higher, it would be possible if uncomfortable.
you can still fire with the same hands and switch shoulders...it is awkward however but it will give you a clear view of the sights....

but thats more of a carbine method for a quick switch for shooting around corners on your weak side
(thats one of two ways to shoot around weak side corners, its not as good as switching hands its just the quick way)  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:05 pm
Ya'll have skipped over one key factor. Normally this would be a ridiculous thing to do, but with the SVD the scope is high and left of the receiver, making this a LOT easier than with normal scopes mounted directly above the receiver. awkward yes, impossible, not even close.  

090Freak090

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:38 pm
ArmasTermin
Fresnel

xd I just pictured someone putting their face behind the stock and firing.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:05 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
ArmasTermin
Fresnel

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
ArmasTermin
Fresnel

When I gave my cousin a rifle for his birthday the first time he held it that's how he held it. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:17 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
ArmasTermin
Fresnel

When I gave my cousin a rifle for his birthday the first time he held it that's how he held it. xd

ow..... thats just ouch....  

Crash Maniac

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:32 pm
Crash Maniac
ow..... thats just ouch....
It was only a .22 but I wish it had been a bigger caliber and that he could have actually fired it in that state.

Good to see you finally drop on though.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:41 pm
I reckon they just ran out of bottled Hideo-genius and thought "Bugger it! There's a stealth-nuking hovercraft in the Cold War, let's just go bat-shoot crazy!"  

Dusk001

Dapper Fatcat

6,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items