Submit

So...whatcha think?
  P3AT / LCP
  lol ur never getting ccw so get a 1911!
View Results

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:38 pm
**RESOLVED- THANK YOU**

First off, I'm not dead, just...not here. Actually, over at MDShooters. I've been asking around and was doing some thinking about carry guns since The People's Republik of Marylandistan might have a snowball's chance in hell (lol barely) of getting shall-issue rather than bourgeoisie issue with the recent developments of the Woolard case and some other stuff down in NC. (yay SAF and Gura!) I've really wanted a 1911 for a while and I like the caliber, but it is a large gun, even the commander size. Option B is something like a P3AT or Ruger LCP. So far I have it reasoned out as:

1911 +: bigger bullet
I like the gun
nice trigger
common (parts, mags, mods, etc.)
grip safety

1911 -: Big
Heavy
sometimes difficult to find ammo

Small gun +: Easier to conceal
cheaper ammo
lighter
cheaper gun

Small gun -: tiny bullet
meh grip
crappy sights IMHO
less common mags / parts
HATE the double action
no safety
less accurate

It seems like the 1911 wins hands down, but the fact is that I'm not sure if I would carry it every day. On the other hand, a smaller gun would be a gurantee carry, but I wouldn't trust it. Did I mention I hate DA triggers? Does anyone here carry a 1911 or other large frame gun? How's it work out for you? I know I'll have to go IWB, but does it profile a lot? I've been advised to get slim grips or take an old cheap pair and grind them down already.

Both guns have about the same capacity so that is not an issue and besides, the way I see it, if I need more than 8+1 rounds without being able to change mags, I'm screwed anyways. At least it looks like I will have a looong time to think this over, so no rush, really.

TL;DR - is a 1911 too big for CCW?

Oh yeah, here's my other thread.

I should just carry my giant a** revolver. xp

**RESOLVED- THANK YOU**  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:03 am
I've known a lot of people who carry 1911s, both open and IWB. The nice thing is, if you get a really pretty 1911, you can carry it OWB and people see it as less threatening for some reason. xd

My dad CC's a Glock 17 incredibly well at 3 o'clock, but he's a BIG guy. And by that I mean six and a half feet and morbidly obese. I'm pretty sure one of our own CC's a 1911... maybe Cleveland Steamroller? Haven't seen her around in a bit, but I think it was her.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:44 pm
Fresnel
I've known a lot of people who carry 1911s, both open and IWB. The nice thing is, if you get a really pretty 1911, you can carry it OWB and people see it as less threatening for some reason. xd

My dad CC's a Glock 17 incredibly well at 3 o'clock, but he's a BIG guy. And by that I mean six and a half feet and morbidly obese. I'm pretty sure one of our own CC's a 1911... maybe Cleveland Steamroller? Haven't seen her around in a bit, but I think it was her.

You mean Plate, don't you.

You could get a 1911 with a shorter barrel. I've seen as small as 3"  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:06 pm
Sgt Buckner
Fresnel

The barrel length makes less difference in CC than does the grip frame, and no matter how much you shorten a 1911's barrel, it's still got a pretty stout grip frame.

There's a saying that goes "The .22 you have with you is better than the .44 you have at home." And I think it holds pretty true. Eventually, that thick and heavy 1911 might start to wear on you and you might get tired of carrying it since you never use it anyway. And in that situation, it'd be much better to have something lightweight and handy than get sick of something beefy and powerful. But who said it has to be one or the other? There's a lot of CCW guns out there...

I've pretty much decided on mine. If I'm unable to get the GP-100 I've wanted badly for (four?) years, then I'll go with a Ruger SP-101 with a 3-inch barrel because I figure it can double as a home defense and fun range gun. And I like jackets and coats and hope to live in a cold climate some day, so I think I could get away with it. If I do end up with the GP-100 somehow, then I'll go for a Ruger LCR or the new Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 38... or an Airweight.  

ArmasTermin

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:12 pm
cz75 compact
compact 1911

maybe a G19 or compact XD

OR....maybe a 2 inch bbl wheel gun...38+p or .357  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:20 am
Sgt Buckner
Fresnel

Plate CC'd a PPK in a shoulder holster, trading up for a CZ75 SP-01, after bitching about how she couldn't CC the bayonet. Or, that what I remember, at least.

If you do decide to go for a compact .45, don't get a Star PD and bet your life on it. My mom does, but only because she's got so much range time with it that tap-rack-bang drills are instinctive now. xd

ETA: You know, if you hate DA triggers, you might find a SA/DA gun and CC in SA? Or strikers are cool too.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:49 pm
Thanks for the comments so far.

The more I think about it, the more I know I'd prefer the 1911 in the long run.

@ Fresnel - I don't live in a free state like you do. Open carry will probably never happen. cry

@ Sgt Buckner - That's what I would do, except get it in the commander length (Armscor though)

@ Ninja - I'm pretty well set against wheel guns for a defensive weapon at this point just because of a little trick someone showed me. It's one of those "should never happpen" things, but when you grab the cylinder on a DA, you can't pull the trigger.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:19 pm
Man of the Demoneye
@ Ninja - I'm pretty well set against wheel guns for a defensive weapon at this point just because of a little trick someone showed me. It's one of those "should never happpen" things, but when you grab the cylinder on a DA, you can't pull the trigger.

Wow! Never heard that before.

Just wondering what revolver was used for the demo you witnessed. Is this true for every make of DA revolvers? That would put me off using one in a defensive situation with risk of close contact.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:32 pm
Man of the Demoneye
Thanks for the comments so far.

The more I think about it, the more I know I'd prefer the 1911 in the long run.

@ Fresnel - I don't live in a free state like you do. Open carry will probably never happen. cry

@ Sgt Buckner - That's what I would do, except get it in the commander length (Armscor though)

Although this aspect is true, when a semi-auto is pressed against a person or object in super close-quarters, or say in a pocket, the slide may be pushed back, and it won't fire out of battery even if only by a millimeter or so. With a revolver, this isn't an issue. And keep in mind that anyone grabbing for the cylinder of a revolver would meet with a pretty serious set of burns if the controller of the gun were to fire it at the right time.

Gun control is a very good thing when it means learning to control one's gun. And if you do that, there should be no worry of someone grabbing your cylinder. You forget that these things have been in use by military, police, detectives, and private citizens for many, many years. They're debugged technology, my friend, and nothing to worry about.

With semi-autos, you also must remember that every time you start scaling-down parts and springs, you increase the margin of error--one of those tiny parts not functioning perfectly. The way revolvers are set up puts less pressure on internal parts during the firing action, and especially while stored. I'm not saying an auto-loader won't do well, I'm just saying you can't ignore the shortcomings that they definitely have. Not that revolvers don't have their own set as well.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:09 pm
Floyd
Man of the Demoneye

Wow! Never heard that before.

Just wondering what revolver was used for the demo you witnessed. Is this true for every make of DA revolvers? That would put me off using one in a defensive situation with risk of close contact.
its not much of an issue at all...
the concern is no different than someone pulling back the slide of an auto or (if the hammer is external) holding back the hammer of either.

all of them are VERY difficult to do without getting shot and is more or less suicidal than anything to even attempt.

my point of view isnt swayed because I know that you can stop both...but its a stupid idea to try...

I still believe a .357 or .38sp with 1 or 2 sets of speedloaders is sufficient enough. I still prefer autos either way  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:13 pm
Point taken, but I'd still prefer a semi. I'm just glad that the issue has gone from pipe dream to, "hey, we might just pull it off!" The state seems like it is getting desperate in it's attempts, if I am to believe what was posted earlier in another site. Something along the lines of, "we can't argue about this in court because no one ever argued it in a court before." I'm still not holding my breath on it since even if we do win, they will try to make the process as expensive and difficult as possible with rediculous restrictions, etc.

Sorry if I'm being a little depressing.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:02 pm
Man of the Demoneye
Point taken, but I'd still prefer a semi. I'm just glad that the issue has gone from pipe dream to, "hey, we might just pull it off!" The state seems like it is getting desperate in it's attempts, if I am to believe what was posted earlier in another site. Something along the lines of, "we can't argue about this in court because no one ever argued it in a court before." I'm still not holding my breath on it since even if we do win, they will try to make the process as expensive and difficult as possible with rediculous restrictions, etc.

I forget who first said it but to me this quote says it best

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:27 am
Sgt Buckner
Fresnel

You mean Defender and New Agent?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:38 pm
Man of the Demoneye

most CCW holders will never even step foot in a court unless it is for jury duty. If you did everything right the cops will dismiss any cases against you because self-defense can not be punished in the US.  

090Freak090

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:16 am
You're on the wrong side of the ******** Potomac, buddy.

But there are plenty of 9mm 1911s that are great for carry.  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff