Submit

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:26 pm
So, I have a shot at buying a .40 S&W model 96 pistol with 3 magazines and night sights. $50 off at $399.

Good, bad or ugly?

Be quick! Don't know how their inventory is stocked on used pistols.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:56 pm
Floyd
So, I have a shot at buying a .40 S&W model 96 pistol with 3 magazines and night sights. $50 off at $399.

Good, bad or ugly?

Be quick! Don't know how their inventory is stocked on used pistols.
lits like the .40 version of the 92/m9

berettas are made bulky and with a lot of metal and can usually outlast most other pistols out there. extremely durable and has a long service/use life

cant really go wrong with one unless weight is something that bothers you.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:14 pm
My dad bought one of those a couple years ago. Same exact thing--ex police sidearm. It's hammerless, right? Double-action only, no safety, Tritium sights. The trigger pull takes some getting used to, but it doesn't recoil that bad.

Some a*****e stole the one my dad got out of his truck. Really, really hope the guy didn't kill anyone with that fine gun...

My dad got it for the low $300s with one magazine. Magazines for it were fairly expensive when I looked, so check and see whether $400 is a good deal or not.

But considering one can get a new in box modern semi-auto for a bit over $500, I wouldn't really say it is.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:26 pm
I can't really say, because I just don't care for Beretta pistols. The only one I'd want is a 93R, and for obvious reasons that won't be happening. But from what you described, it sounds like a good deal. I'd go for it.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:30 pm
Thanks for the feedback.

I've read up on some forums that reviewed this pistol. Other than one part that was easy to replace, no one broke one of these.

But considering a new one is only $50 more, that's not a deal breaker. Most 'good' pistols can run hundreds more. And the weight isn't an issue in this case. This would be a home defense weapon rather than one I'd be trying to conceal.

And the caliber is a fair compromise between .45 ACP and 9mm. I'm going to sleep on this.

/edit

Seems the local Cabela's only got 1 example of this used pistol. It sold out fast. The sales staff could not say if they would get another shipment. Looked at a new one today at another store. It is everything I expected from a gun of this reputation. Solid.  
Buying and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games