Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:33 pm
User Image

I just recently fixed this up. It cost me $20.

Any ideas on the steel type?

It's not High Carbon grade because it's over 40 years old, it has the black imprints where the oils from human hands have bonded with it. It would be a rusty stick if it was a high carbon grade.

The sword is rather difficult to sharpen and I've been at the b***h for hours just simply trying to give it an edge with both a file and a whetstone.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:01 pm
Five bucks says it was made out of a car's leaf spring.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Looks like some of the crappy old steak knives we used to have.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:50 am
Honestly just throw it out. If you cant get a good edge on it fairly quickly then its cheap steel. Its probably bargain bin grade stainless from china. Though honestly the steak knife like handle should have given that away lol

Also if you ever honestly want to know the compisiton of a piece of metal, find some place that recycles metals, not like a scrap yard where they just send it to foundrys. Places that do high end metal recycling (as in they will seperate metals down to the different alloys)will have a little gizmo that you put up to the metal, it burns it with a laser (no visible marks are left from this) and it analyzes the composition and will tell you exactly what it is.  

war_junky 91

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:55 am
war_junky 91
Honestly just throw it out. If you cant get a good edge on it fairly quickly then its cheap steel. Its probably bargain bin grade stainless from china. Though honestly the steak knife like handle should have given that away lol
Or it's so damn hard that whatever you're doing to sharpen it is having very little effect.

And I retract my bet on a leaf spring. It's the wrong shape, but I still say it's bullshit makeshift.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:14 am
I made it to look like a steak knife. It wasn't built that way. Originally it was made into a cheap version of a cavalry saber but since the handle was made from pine and cheap vinyl it split in two when I merely squeezed it.

The work I've done with it is craft that steak knife handle and weld the handle end of the sword to fit that handle.

The b***h is hard to sharpen because the dumbass who owned it beforehand dulled it with a bench grinder but I wouldn't rule out it's steel type either.

Oh and it's made in India if that helps.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:18 am
war_junky 91

Also if you ever honestly want to know the compisiton of a piece of metal, find some place that recycles metals, not like a scrap yard where they just send it to foundrys. Places that do high end metal recycling (as in they will seperate metals down to the different alloys)will have a little gizmo that you put up to the metal, it burns it with a laser (no visible marks are left from this) and it analyzes the composition and will tell you exactly what it is.
Doubtful it's stainless, it's from India, the steak knife handle was the improvement from the s**t handle it had before and would you have an idea on where to find a high end metal recycler in southern Indiana?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:20 am
Fresnel
war_junky 91
Or it's so damn hard that whatever you're doing to sharpen it is having very little effect.

And I retract my bet on a leaf spring. It's the wrong shape, but I still say it's bullshit makeshift.
Wrong! It was a Indian manufactured blade! Only a handful of rich people have cars!

Though the handle is makeshift from baseboards.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:53 am
HelloJohnnyBlade
Fresnel
war_junky 91

Wrong! It was a Indian manufactured blade! Only a handful of rich people have cars!

You don't have to have a car to have a junkyard.

Something to think about: stainless steel tends to rust black.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:13 pm
HelloJohnnyBlade
I made it to look like a steak knife. It wasn't built that way. Originally it was made into a cheap version of a cavalry saber but since the handle was made from pine and cheap vinyl it split in two when I merely squeezed it.

The work I've done with it is craft that steak knife handle and weld the handle end of the sword to fit that handle.

The b***h is hard to sharpen because the dumbass who owned it beforehand dulled it with a bench grinder but I wouldn't rule out it's steel type either.

When is the last time India has had a serious armed conflict? ninja  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:57 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
HelloJohnnyBlade

When is the last time India has had a serious armed conflict? ninja
Does a cold war count? 'Cos they've had a cold war going with Pakistan for decades.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:59 am
Fresnel
HelloJohnnyBlade
Fresnel
war_junky 91

You don't have to have a car to have a junkyard.

Something to think about: stainless steel tends to rust black.
So a bad grade stainless? Kind of like what they used in old kitchen cutlery?  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out