Submit

Scentrus Darmoset

Dangerous Genius

6,075 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:23 am
Do any of you lovely furies have a Second Life Account? If so then we should be friends or something lol  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:27 am
Gojiron Rustamova is I!  

Blackjack O Hare

Excitable Cottontail

16,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Lapin Patrol Haldus: Victory! 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:14 pm
No. Why do on the computer what I can do IRL?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:28 pm
I agree with Erik 3nodding  

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:22 pm
Lot of talk for people who escape in some way or another through mediums other than a computer. GET AL LIFE! Put down the book, turn off the TV, turn off the music, cut the act, stop making up narratives for everything. Real life is nothing more than what is before you. If it's boring, then too bad. Life isn't there to entertain you. People aren't either. Stop living in a fantasy and start living in real life. A life that has no story, that continues regardless of what happens, and that is purposeless and meaningless.

...Which is what I thought about saying after writing out the following as my initial post.

Quote:
You guys can build anything you want, whether monuments or modern marvels? Quickly build models in under a few days for real life projects? Alter the day light at will?

Second Life is a tool and entertainment. While not a game, it's the equivalent to a simplified Vectorworks/AutoCAD, a Messenger program, a Chat program, and...well, I guess an experiment wrapped into one. It's an experiment in virtual commerce for sure, and in ways a social experiment as well.

As nerdy as it sounds, I believe that the reason why people scoff at the idea of a "virtual life" is because it makes them uncomfortable. I know I get uncomfortable sometimes with the idea too. The reasons for the discomfort are probably numerous, but I think the biggest one is the belief that it is somehow escapism taken to the extreme.

I contest that idea, because if you were to look at the comparison to the supposed "real life", it's not really very different. Television filters the world, music alters your perception of the world, and books and news tell you what to think about the world. The media as a whole, along with some ideas I borrow from postmodernism (mainly stemming from the Shakespearean quote of "all the world's a stage"), make reality distorted beyond recognition.

I have to ask two important questions:
What is "real" when instead of comparing our creations to nature, we compare nature to our creations? (Example: "It's just like on TV!")

Is it such a "real life" when you filter your view of the world to reinforce your views, stereotypes, what have you? And in turn have the media filter it further for you?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:33 am
I have one, though I haven't been able to get on in months.
o xo

Mallow Love

Sparkly Friend

Blackjack O Hare

Excitable Cottontail

16,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Lapin Patrol Haldus: Victory! 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:45 am
i only get on once in a while... my friend is showing me how to make stuff, i need basic understandings on how to model things in 3D programs for class and it's a pretty useful thing to practice... and more enjoyable than just using Blender alone 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:57 am
Alushee Essex  

Alushee

Fashionable Consumer

Lazurkri

5,700 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:38 pm
My SL Username is Reaper Firehawk...I'm usually on late each night.

I'm of the opinion that SL is a step towards fully immersive VR.... in spite of its many flaws, it is still around, in spite of Linden Labs screwups. I've been on SL for nearly 2 years now, and boy have their been more a few spectacular "goofs"; my particular favourites are how useless the Marketplace is overall ( cannot find what you want, generally, and selling stuff on it is screwed up), and how incredibly stupid the Search Bar is....I type in a search word, and it gives me EVERYTHING that has that particular word in it...like profiles, SL Real Estate offices, etc etc.

Its a bold, and interesting attempt to marry the successes of MMORPG's with the successes of Social Networking sites like Facebook, and overall, shitty graphics, screwy programming bugs, and useless technical support aside, I would have to say it has succeed overall.

Just one thing I wish to put out here: I am a Halo Fan, and I am looking for decent quality Halo Avatar items on SL, yet I cannot find ANYTHING decent....no Halo:Reach items of any sort, and oddly, next to nothing for the rest of the series....anyone find this a little..... strange?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:59 am
Garek Maxwell
Lot of talk for people who escape in some way or another through mediums other than a computer. GET AL LIFE! Put down the book, turn off the TV, turn off the music, cut the act, stop making up narratives for everything. Real life is nothing more than what is before you. If it's boring, then too bad. Life isn't there to entertain you. People aren't either. Stop living in a fantasy and start living in real life. A life that has no story, that continues regardless of what happens, and that is purposeless and meaningless.

...Which is what I thought about saying after writing out the following as my initial post.

Quote:
You guys can build anything you want, whether monuments or modern marvels? Quickly build models in under a few days for real life projects? Alter the day light at will?

Second Life is a tool and entertainment. While not a game, it's the equivalent to a simplified Vectorworks/AutoCAD, a Messenger program, a Chat program, and...well, I guess an experiment wrapped into one. It's an experiment in virtual commerce for sure, and in ways a social experiment as well.

As nerdy as it sounds, I believe that the reason why people scoff at the idea of a "virtual life" is because it makes them uncomfortable. I know I get uncomfortable sometimes with the idea too. The reasons for the discomfort are probably numerous, but I think the biggest one is the belief that it is somehow escapism taken to the extreme.

I contest that idea, because if you were to look at the comparison to the supposed "real life", it's not really very different. Television filters the world, music alters your perception of the world, and books and news tell you what to think about the world. The media as a whole, along with some ideas I borrow from postmodernism (mainly stemming from the Shakespearean quote of "all the world's a stage"), make reality distorted beyond recognition.

I have to ask two important questions:
What is "real" when instead of comparing our creations to nature, we compare nature to our creations? (Example: "It's just like on TV!")

Is it such a "real life" when you filter your view of the world to reinforce your views, stereotypes, what have you? And in turn have the media filter it further for you?

Well this is an interesting paragraph, and it can be summed up much shorter than this..

"There is but one truth. If you avert your eyes from it, you will always remain nothing more than a puppet."

And on a side note, for those of you who actually matter in this subject, I'll be sure to add you to my friends list so we can hang out.  

Scentrus Darmoset

Dangerous Genius

6,075 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Consumer 100

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:22 pm
Broly20
Well this is an interesting paragraph, and it can be summed up much shorter than this..

"There is but one truth. If you avert your eyes from it, you will always remain nothing more than a puppet."

If that's what my post gets summed up as, then I need to rewrite it.

I very much challenge the idea of a single truth. The questions I proposed have no single answer and it changes all the time. The idea I wanted to convey was the plurality of truths, which is what makes most people (and myself) uncomfortable. It certainly isn't a new phenomenon.

An extreme exaggeration example (which stays somewhat on topic to SL) is the twilight zone style horror of being uncertain as to what's real and what's a simulation, and the possibility of yourself being a simulation versus everything else. It could all be truths, it could all be lies. There is no distinction between the two. When we approach the point where the real and unreal are indistinguishable from one another, humanity is going to need to decide how we collectively proceed from there. Sure, it's way off, but it's going to be a significant shift in how we perceive the world and ourselves.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:10 pm
Hendly Devin

i think sl is great... i definately am waaaaaaaay more into it than is probably healthy... but probably only as much as people would be to any video game or social networking site.

though i think its important to remember that 1st life comes first.

alot of people on there seem to forget that... including myself.  

Jungle Boots

0ntogeny

Shameless Man-Lover

11,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:05 pm
Broly20
Do any of you lovely furies have a Second Life Account? If so then we should be friends or something lol
yes mines jaga fhang  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:55 pm
FeTuS -ate- Da FoXy
Broly20
yes mines jaga fhang

so added you gurrrl  

Jungle Boots

Lycanthrop

3,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:37 pm
lycanthrop Haefnir
not as on as often howver  
Adult Furries Guild