Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Sonic Colours (First review in!) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:43 pm
Sonic Colours is almost here! Here's some quotes from Ngamer's review. Note that they have been harsh on previous Sonic games like Unleashed, giving them scores of about 50%.

Quote:
- "What if Sonic were to play Mario at his own game and gain a little ground? ...the result is Sonic Colours."

- "The Similarity to the Mario Galaxy Games is it's abundance of ideas. This is Sonic Team in an uncharacteristically creative and generous mood. It's one that suits them well. The addition of the power-altering wisps is what does it."

- "These aren't powerups, they're toys - single-use shots of pure fun that have the happy side effect of opening up new pathways in already pleasingly labyrinthine stages."

- "The lists of powers goes on and on, and backtracking to find new areas in which to use them is a big part of the fun."

- "Crucially, the Wisps don't sacrifice Sonic's speed; they simply reveal more runways for him to work on. And that's brilliant. Speed alone reduces gameplay to a simple progression of left to right, but moments of calm exploration add texture and a sense of adventure."

- "The environments are every bit as playful as the new wisp powers ... each of them is packed with stages large and small ... some are built with one idea stretched to the limit; others are constructed solely to test just how robust the new wisp powers are."

- "The result is a series of intricate and occasionally extremely tricky levels."

- "Again, we're reminded of Mario Galaxy, particularly when Sonic plummets off the bottom of the screen for the umpteenth time and we get exasperated at our own lack of skill rather than the unfairness of the game."

- "Better yet, every stage compels you to push harder, aim higher. Maintain that speed, keep your eyes open, cross any available digits and you'll see wonders."

- "The world is there to be reduced to a blur or discovered; to be sped through or explored to your satisfaction for an improved rank and more hidden medals. The choice is yours."

- "Find enough of those medals and you'll unlock Game World, a Sonic shaped satellite that houses Eggman's Sonic simulator."

- "As a multiplayer game Sonic Colours is less than perfect (the speedy action often results in a game of tug of war using the screen as a rope)."

- The ability to swap Sonic for your Miis means there's still throwaway fun to be had." (in multiplayer)

- "If the 2D sections reconfirm Sonic as a true platforming superstar and make a virtue of his speed, the 3D sections can be more problematic. Kinetic, beautiful, and dizzying. Perhaps it's because the sort of precision we demand just isn't compatible with speed. To be fair, Sonic Colours does a good job of making these sections work but the result is stages that can feel on rails or, worse, railed for safety. But while still not perfect, they are definitely the best of Sonic's career to date."

- "Much of the game plays out in 2D."

- "The storytelling here is *gasp* rather good. Humour is the strong point and even Tails manages to be less nauseating than usual."

- "For the most part Sonic Colours is big on spectacle, so it's odd that the bosses are so lightweight. What good ideas are here (sabotaging a huge battleship before taking on its clockwork captain) are repeated."

- "Only the Starlight Carnival Boss, an immense warship, really pushed our skills by constantly switching from 2D to 3D."

- "But these are minor niggles in an otherwise first rate package."

- "Sonic Colours' greatest achievement, then, is in handing back control to the player without losing that queasy feeling that you're about to go off the rails."

- "Sonic's ditched the J-Rock for a full on orchestra, with impressively catchy results."

Summary - "Colours Rockets Sonic closer to the stratospheric heights of past glories and hints at a great future. Welcome back old friend, it's been to long."

"86%"

Colour me very excited! (C WUT I DID THAR?) Nice to hear about the cut-scenes too.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:03 pm
A good Sonic game nowadays? 'bout time.  

Tonberry Crunch

7,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:03 pm
Woo! It's a good holiday season for Wii owners.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:06 pm
Meta_Fish
Woo! It's a good holiday season for Wii owners.
TBH this is the only game on Wii I'm really hyped about... DKCR looks like a must-have too though.  

Super Cheesio

Mukuchina Kurasu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:17 pm
Awesome. I am very excited for another great Sonic Game.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:04 pm
Nintendo Power gave it a 9. Sounds pretty promising for OL' SAWNIK.  

Waynebrizzle

Cosair

Conversationalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:10 pm
I consider Nintendo Power to be very biased. I don't enjoy NGamer's reviews either.

I'll wait for GAF community's impressions on this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:45 pm
I usually agree most with Gametrailers on reviews. They're fair on games without being too critical about minor flaws.  

Waynebrizzle

Hobo Scruffy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:01 pm
Waynebrizzle
Nintendo Power gave it a 9. Sounds pretty promising for OL' SAWNIK.

Time to kick some a** and eat chili dogs..

....and I'm awlll out of chilli dogs cool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:06 pm
i've got rings of steel  

Waynebrizzle

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:04 pm
nope, gold  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:26 pm
I'm getting an autograph from Roger Craig Smith (Sonic's new voice actor) in a week and a half. I'm gonna get Assassin's Creed II signed. Question is, should I get the signature on the plastic or on the paper inside the sleeve?  

Super Cheesio

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:02 pm
Cosplay Tokoro
I consider Nintendo Power to be very biased. I don't enjoy NGamer's reviews either.

I'll wait for GAF community's impressions on this.
What do you consider to be unbiased, as far as gaming media goes?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:14 pm
Now I'm damn glad I preordered the game, and not just for the epic Sonic Hat.

I LOVE the Yellow Drill powerup.

TtheHero

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50

You Silly Wanker

6,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 am
Sega FINALLY listened to the sonic fans... Anyway, i really hope to get some pretty good levels out of this and I can finally yell at my sister for BEING TO SLOW ((Shoot me now. Seriously. ))  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff