Reply Loving Kindness: A Buddhism Guild
Rebirth

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

summa crusta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:51 pm
I found this on buddhanet.net. It's kind of a long read but please bare with me.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda05.htm

After reading this I was a bit confused because Buddhism teaches non-soul yet this article seems to teach other wise. It seems very contradictory. Could some one help clear things up?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:14 pm
The soul exists, only before it becomes one with the All. In Buddhist teachings, if your soul has not become one with the All in your mortal life, you continue to live another life with that soul. The spiritual universe is not just this or that, it's a multifaceted crystal where all things are possible without limited human understanding.

Course, this is how I see it. I'm not of a particular sect, so I wouldn't be able to tell you what the professionals have to say about it.

Naynram Ukir

cinracwil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:15 pm
From what I've read, I think it is believed that the mental energy (ie, the mind) is reborn, which could be considered a soul, but the general belief is that it doesn't exist independent of a body (excluding the travel from one life to the next). I'm not 100% sure about that, and I have heard that the Buddha taught that there is no literal eternal soul, but nevertheless, he did believe in rebirth, which some Buddhists distinguish from the concept of reincarnation, citing that according to Buddhism, there's no transmigration of a literal soul, which the word reincarnation entails.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:56 pm
So, does that mean one is just inheriting an others karmatic (sp?)
string and not transferring from one life to the next? Or, that one continues to live again and again until they find Nirvana. So,the soul isn't permanent because eventually it will find Nirvana right?  

summa crusta

cinracwil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:05 pm
Well, as I said, I'm not 100% sure myself, but I stated what my perception is from things I've read, but I'm definitely not an expert. However, I'm sure there are members of this guild who have a better understanding of the concept, and I'm sure one of them will post/reply soon.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:59 pm
I've also wondered about how ghosts are viewed. Not the state of being a hungry ghost but, a life after death kind. If we go with the article then would that mean that ghosts could be people waiting to be reborn?  

summa crusta

cinracwil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:53 pm
I personally see no conflict between following Buddhism and believing in ghosts (in the context of life after death), and in fact, I believe in ghosts (and not in rebirth). From what I've read, Buddhism is primarily a way of life and philosophy, and puts less focus on specific metaphysical concepts than other religions. I think that as long as one practices the teachings of Buddhism, one is indeed a Buddhist (that's just my perspective).  
Loving Kindness: A Buddhism Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games