Submit

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:34 pm
It appears his head engineer, Emilio Ghisoni, has produced a new version!

http://chiappafirearms.com/products/75

The Chiappa Rhino .357 magnum is a refreshed and improved version of the Mateba. My biggest interest in this particular design has been the refocusing of the recoil and muzzle flip by positioning the barrel low on the pistol.

And the best news of all is that the semi-auto action has been replaced with a standard single/double action mechanism, engineered from stainless steel components. No more stupid springs to replace.

Watch the video. Not bad for a pre-production mule. You can see the target in the upper left of the split screen.

YouTube video

If you want to see the mechanism in action, watch this video.

Gun Show video

The prices start at $500 and go up to $800 for the longer barrels and stainless steel models.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:08 pm
Yeah, I mentioned it briefly in another topic here. If it turns out to be proven reliable and useful and effective and is reasonably priced, I might get it form y CCW gun. If not, I'm thinking Ruger LCR.  

ArmasTermin

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:37 am
I posted the weapon on a few threads like over a month ago.

its not exactly a mateba. its not semi auto.

the only trait it carries over from the mateba is it's low bore axis which gives some awesome control when firing the weapon.

another feature that is different about the rhino is it's flatness in the frame and cylinder alike.
and all everything that can catch on clothing is pretty much smoothed out with the shape of it.

it's made to be as easy and convenient to carry as an auto. which is what the shape of it tries to mimic.

ive wanted one for a while now

however IMHO I believe the mateba action was fine the way it was... it worked fine. thats one of the main things that made it "unique" in the first place.
you cant really jam or ******** up trying to shoot while OOB with a revolver because that s**t just doesnt happen with them. so making it semi auto was pure genius  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:05 am
Recon_Ninja_985
I posted the weapon on a few threads like over a month ago.

its not exactly a mateba. its not semi auto.

the only trait it carries over from the mateba is it's low bore axis which gives some awesome control when firing the weapon.

another feature that is different about the rhino is it's flatness in the frame and cylinder alike.
and all everything that can catch on clothing is pretty much smoothed out with the shape of it.

it's made to be as easy and convenient to carry as an auto. which is what the shape of it tries to mimic.

ive wanted one for a while now

however IMHO I believe the mateba action was fine the way it was... it worked fine. thats one of the main things that made it "unique" in the first place.
you cant really jam or ******** up trying to shoot while OOB with a revolver because that s**t just doesnt happen with them. so making it semi auto was pure genius
Except you lose both the inherent reliability of a revolver AND the high capacity of a semi. The saying goes "I'd rather have six rounds of 'definitely' than fifteen rounds of 'maybe'." The Mateba was six rounds of maybe. In the event of an FTF, the gun would jam. Standard revolvers don't jam on an FTF, they function just like normal, except without a bang. It was a great idea, but it really was the worst of both worlds.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:19 am
I only miss the .454 Casull magnum version of Mateba since it was the only true semi auto pistol that fired said round.

If I want a .357 magnum or .44 magnum semi auto I'll stick to the ol DEagle because it's more unlikely to jam versus a Mateba.

The only other semi auto pistol that fired .454 was some souped up spoof of Alucard's Jackal custom 1911 pistol. It actually worked but it was a jamomatic just like Automag.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 am
Is it really an improvment if it takes out what really made it unique?  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:33 am
Pripyat Dawn
Is it really an improvment if it takes out what really made it unique?
Yes, just like making a car that RUNS is better than a Yugo.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:34 am
Smokestack Lightning
If I want a .357 magnum or .44 magnum semi auto I'll stick to the ol DEagle because it's more unlikely to jam versus a Mateba.
Wut.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:25 am
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Wut.
Wait, what?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:02 pm
Yes wut Fresnel.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:14 pm
I think you missed one of the key characteristics of the Desert Eagle. It's heavy, it's powerful, it holds seven rounds, it's huge, it kicks like a monster, it costs more than a small car, and it jams a lot.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:32 pm
Pripyat Dawn
Is it really an improvement if it takes out what really made it unique?

What makes owning an original Mateba so awkward is the number of critical parts that are required to keep it working.

For example, the springs that allow the semi-auto function to work are no longer being produced. Break a spring? Then place the expensive pistol on top of a stack of papers on your desk.

In this light, I'd say shifting to a more conventional mechanism is an improvement. And I'm guessing that Chiappa has built more of these pistols than Mateba did this past year, leading to a fair supply of parts available to repair one.

And for those who did post about the new Rhino, I missed these posts. emo  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:00 pm
Fresnel
I think you missed one of the key characteristics of the Desert Eagle. It's heavy, it's powerful, it holds seven rounds, it's huge, it kicks like a monster, it costs more than a small car, and it jams a lot.
rofl

A Mateba costs much more than a DEagle and Mateba fails because it has this nasty little issue of needing a specific amount of pressure to operate the action meaning if there's a cartridge that's loaded with less powder it isn't going to cycle.

A .357 DEagle will always be more reliable than a .357 Mateba.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:14 pm
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
rofl

A Mateba costs much more than a DEagle and Mateba fails because it has this nasty little issue of needing a specific amount of pressure to operate the action meaning if there's a cartridge that's loaded with less powder it isn't going to cycle.

After watching my shooting buddy stovepipe his .44 DEagle seven or eight times in a box of fifty rounds, I wouldn't even trust a DEagle for putting holes in paper. Lots of guns need a specific pressure. Not many jam once a magazine.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:57 pm
Fresnel
Smokestack Lightning
Fresnel
rofl

After watching my shooting buddy stovepipe his .44 DEagle seven or eight times in a box of fifty rounds, I wouldn't even trust a DEagle for putting holes in paper. Lots of guns need a specific pressure. Not many jam once a magazine.
That's because it was a .44 DEagle, notorious for epic failure unless you feed .44 AMP ammo into it. A .357 DEagle works perfectly fine as long as you don't limp hand it.

I wouldn't place my heart in Mateba. Their parts are no longer made and it's too damn expensive. It doesn't have the research and development that .357 DEagle had.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff