Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Pagans = devil worshippers? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:53 pm
Well, me and my friend, Lauren, were talking about a ritual she did recently, and how she felt and such after it. And then we got on to the concept of Wicca and Paganism. I asked her:

What are the similarities and differences between the two religions?

So she said:

Well, Wiccans are good, because they worship the god and goddess, yet Pagans are evil because they worship Satan.

Then she got me real confused. Since I'm 100% SURE they don't.

Either she's real naive, or just plain stupid.

Sorry to any of you who were offended, it wasn't my intention to offend or upset anyone.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:02 pm
Azareas Aquarinus

Well, Wiccans are good, because they worship the god and goddess, yet Pagans are evil because they worship Satan.

I'm willing to bet it's just lack of education and experience.

Some pagans may indeed worship Satan. Thieistic Satanists come to mind. However, that's a small part of the overall pagan population.

Also, Wiccans honour a God and a Goddess - singular deities. Not 'the' God or 'the' Goddess.

You can tell her the only thing "Pagan" signifies is that a person isn't a Jew, a Christian, or a Muslim. It's not an indication of who they may or may not worship, or their personal morality. It isn't as if Wiccans are automatically love-and-light cuddly people, or that other Pagan paths specify that you have to be a complete and utter b*****d.

Your friend sounds as if she needs better source material, and more experience with other pagans...something she's not likely to get if she makes broad sweeping assumptions.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:27 am
Morgandria
Azareas Aquarinus

Some pagans may indeed worship Satan. Thieistic Satanists come to mind. However, that's a small part of the overall pagan population.

Also, Wiccans honour a God and a Goddess - singular deities. Not 'the' God or 'the' Goddess.

You can tell her the only thing "Pagan" signifies is that a person isn't a Jew, a Christian, or a Muslim. It's not an indication of who they may or may not worship, or their personal morality. It isn't as if Wiccans are automatically love-and-light cuddly people, or that other Pagan paths specify that you have to be a complete and utter b*****d.

Your friend sounds as if she needs better source material, and more experience with other pagans...something she's not likely to get if she makes broad sweeping assumptions.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

By the looks of it, she has lack of education. Since she's confused when I talk about who Gardner is, and the coven tradition.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:48 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Morgandria
Azareas Aquarinus

By the looks of it, she has lack of education. Since she's confused when I talk about who Gardner is, and the coven tradition.

Sounds like someone who has much to learn.  

pompoennetje

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:21 pm
Dianda Panda
Azareas Aquarinus
Morgandria
Azareas Aquarinus

Sounds like someone who has much to learn.

Thing is, she's older than me, and she's been "learning" longer than me. And I'm younger, yet it seems I know more than her.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 pm
@Azareas: I had a similar relationship with a girl in my dance class back when I was like, twelve. She was two years older than me and identified as Pagan, told me all these ridiculous things and made me think the Wiccan Rede related to all Paganism. I used to use this really silly website, too, but it doesn't exist anymore. I confronted her once and she just told me I didn't know what I was talking about, that she had studied much longer and knew more so I was just a stupid kid. Just try to educate her and know that, in the end, you have the truth.  

Scorpy-Sue

Distinct Conversationalist

6,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

CursedExile

Dangerous Werewolf

6,500 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:54 am
You can't fill a cup that is already full. If the girl refuses to listen to facts then you can not try to fight it.
Wiccans worship a generally Duotheistic faith, the Triple Goddess and the Horned God, embodiments of the moon and sun and of nature and life. Ying and yang. Female and male.
Pagans date back to the paleolithic era where ancient societies had worshiped nature gods and gods of the harvest portrayed with horns. Christianity did not come until later. Paganism predates Christianity and Satan.
Wicca is a Neo-pagan faith, relatively new yet based on ancient faith.
There is literally no bad religion. Satanists, true Satanists, do not worship the devil, they venerate human nature. They are narcissists if you will. They choose to embrace all facets of our species, both sin and virtue. Pleasure is the greatest pursuit of the Satanist.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:44 am
She is either uneducated, read the wrong source of information, or saw the horned God as Satan.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:22 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
Well, me and my friend, Lauren, were talking about a ritual she did recently, and how she felt and such after it. And then we got on to the concept of Wicca and Paganism. I asked her:

So she said:

Sorry to any of you who were offended, it wasn't my intention to offend or upset anyone.

oh,my god,we are totally in two guilds together. 4laugh
anyway.
i think your friend was mislead.
some pagans may worship satan,but not all of them do.
l

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:36 pm
Xx_Serena-Hime_xX
Azareas Aquarinus

So she said:

oh,my god,we are totally in two guilds together. 4laugh
anyway.
i think your friend was mislead.
some pagans may worship satan,but not all of them do.
l

If you worshipp satan you can't be a pagan. Satan is a christian invention.  

Xaolu

Dapper Smoker

9,425 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Noob wrangler 100

CursedExile

Dangerous Werewolf

6,500 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 pm
If you guys read my post, I just answered everything >_>
Paganism predates Christianity and Satan, Pagans are not devil worshipers, not some, not a little, NONE ARE. lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:55 pm
CursedExile
If you guys read my post, I just answered everything >_>
Paganism predates Christianity and Satan, Pagans are not devil worshipers, not some, not a little, NONE ARE. lol

I think I just said that as well.  

Xaolu

Dapper Smoker

9,425 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Noob wrangler 100

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:41 pm
I don't see her a lot. Say twice every fortnight. I'll explain to her next time I see her.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:56 pm
Xaolu

I don't think Christians invented Satan. He's in the Old Testament after all.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:36 pm
Esiris
Xaolu

I don't think Christians invented Satan. He's in the Old Testament after all.
That and there were some 1st Century BCE sects of Judaism that were begin to interpret Satan as a fallen angel too, so it's not accurate to say that it was a total Christian invention either. When Judaism formed after the fall of the Second Temple, it rejected this idea since many of the early Christian sects, especially those composed of Gentiles, were embracing this concept.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games