Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Net Slum [a guild for .hack fans]

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of the anime/game series, dot hack. 

Tags: dot hack, .hack//sign, .hack//G.U., .hack, skeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiittthhh 

Reply Fanart and Fanfiction
Slumming It (One-shot Fanfic)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kamui1993

5,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:26 am
Hi guys, thought I'd start uploading my .Hack fanfic right away. Any comments and/or constructive criticism are greatly appreciated!

Also, forgive me for self advertising emo but I thought I'd take this oppertunity to note that I do freelance work, so if you're looking for a writer to hire...look not further blaugh or at least give me a chance. Thank you!

In it’s most basic form, ‘The World’ is a game; an addictive, maddening and ultimately isolating contraption. But it was more, much more. It was a satire to life’s pretension, a mirror to its flaws, a deep pool of blackened water and although the masses floated to the top; what lurked in the undertow…. What slithered in the deeps was much more interesting. Life’s teeming, curdled majorities held no interest to Dayn, but the code….well, that spoke for itself. The trick was to seek out a weak link in the endless numbering and whirring digits and to press, just hard enough to mould it to your will. To break it would be a sin worse than this defilation of the system. To break it was to be caught and after all, was not the first rule of being a good citizen to remain anonymous?

He had worked for months on end to find such a weak link and then, bit by bit, burrowed deeper into the worlds operating system and began to hollow out his own little space. At first there had been close calls, godforsaken moderators, cobalt knights, curious players. But now he was one with the system, undetected, undisturbed. Utter bliss. Coal black eyes narrowed at the virtual screen, the endless code tripped across it’s surface; no disturbances. Not yet, but something was coming. A red strand of hair snaked in front of his eyes like an accusing finger, a venomous viper come to expose him. Incidentally there was no gravity in this corner of isolated paradise. He was yet to find an implement a reliable substitute that would remain undetected. So for now there was no floor, no walls, no silence. Just the endless whirring of the code above and below, all around, for that matter.

In the mainstream, gaudy stadium of The World, he was a respected player, high enough in rank to be recognised, low enough to avoid the endless hounding for help that many suffered. In the slums he was a shadowed figure sliding through the dregs of this world. But here in limbo, in the very ether of the system he was all but God. With a push or a pull he could change the coding, he could make the World bigger, better. Or he could wreak havoc, release vagrant AI’s, bugged items, set traps for the unwary. But this was of no concern, the thing he sought , he craved was….difficult to explain. The thrill, he supposed, the absolute electric excitement brought by flying beneath the radar. Watching them scramble to patch up and hide away his doings, all the while, knowing that they would never look to their own work to find him. And that day by day, inch by inch, he worked his way to the server, covering his tracks as he went. The code, you see, was like a river: it pulled him in, all he had to do was ensure the solidity of this bubble he resided in. Once there he could dig in.

After that was the unknown, it loomed before him like an abyss: would the World interest him anymore once his personal game had ended? Would he use the space only as a retreat? Would he destroy it and move to the next infallible virtual universe? Or would he begin to tear the World down from the foundations up?

A disturbance in the code caused him to start. But no, only a bug passing by…not one of his though. He reached out and pulled it from the system; a crude, wriggling thing; no real shape or form. It’s only purpose was to funnel money to its creator. Stupid…. Reckless, he shook his head as he crushed the thing in his palm. Chaos for material gain was worse than the ordered system itself. If a world must burn, surely one must not add insult by burning it for money or rarities. The purest cause was the one in and of itself. Why not burn it for the sake of the burning itself.
For, they said you could see all the beauty of the world in the eyes of a dying man. Why not watch it in the eyes of a civilization?

Who were they anyway?
Surely they were far too clever.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:39 pm
First paragraph has a few grammatical errors. You used "It's" rather than its at least twice, and some of the words seem off (satire to life's pretension...? It seems like it is correct yet it also seems off.).
Pretty cool though.  

Darkly_Doomed

Dapper Lunatic

10,850 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Explorer 100

Grieverr

Vice Captain

Anxious Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:36 pm
I like how detailed it is and how you describe things in a non cliche way. Like, it's your own original style.
I also really like the first sentence. How you describe "The World" draws me in as a reader.
Good job.
c:

Fanart and Fanfiction

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces