Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Oath swearing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 pm
Would one be able to swear the rede alone, or does it have to be done in the initiation process?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
Would one be able to swear the rede alone, or does it have to be done in the initiation process?

That sounds like something that would be done during the initiation process.  

Xaolu

Dapper Smoker

9,425 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Noob wrangler 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:56 pm
Azareas Aquarinus

I'm...not sure what you're asking here. The Rede isn't an oath. It's just advice. You either follow it, or you don't.

Initiates of other pagan religions might incorporate the Rede into their oaths. Wicca's oaths predate the Rede's existence, and so do not.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:20 am
Oh I see. I thought it had to be sworn. Well, I guess I already do follow it.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:53 am
How and why would you use the rede as an oath or "swear on the rede"?

I thought the main part of the document was "An it harm none, do what thou wilt" which basically tells one nothing at all. It says you can do anything that won't hurt people it doesn't say anything about not hurting people or animals or plants.

If we're talking about the larger rede while some of it is advice, little of it seems like stuff you could make a promise on.

It sounds like you want to do a ceremony to dedicate yourself to a certain group of principles or ethics or specific beliefs. If what you're looking for is a new break or a way to symbolize a new start in your religious life then really creating a ceremony for yourself where you cut ties from your old ways and embrace what new principles could be lovely and fulfilling. Sometimes oaths are incorporated into that, but I wouldn't recommend it. From your posts around it seems like you're still kind of new to paganism and still learning where you fit religiously. Oath swearing is a pretty serious step and a lot of people feel hostile towards a person who breaks an oath. Generally speaking, making oaths when one is still learning leads to oath breaking which can lead to a world of negativity from both gods and followers.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:29 am
blindfaith^_^

I thought the main part of the document was "An it harm none, do what thou wilt" which basically tells one nothing at all. It says you can do anything that won't hurt people it doesn't say anything about not hurting people or animals or plants.

If we're talking about the larger rede while some of it is advice, little of it seems like stuff you could make a promise on.

The Rede isn't a document. It's just the one line - "An' it harm none, do as ye will".

I'm not sure why you only apply the Rede's advice to people. 'None' pretty much encompasses everything - animals, plants, inanimate objects, spirits... the list can go on.

The 'larger' version you're speaking of is likely The Rede of the Wiccae, which is a poem written around the Rede by Gwen Thompson, and attributed to her grandmother, Adriana Porter. It's simply a collection of advice and lore she collected and recorded on the form of a poem. It didn't appear until 1974, another ten years after the Rede's first appearance. Personally I think 'The Rede of the Wiccae' is rubbish doggrel, but that's just my opinion.

As you correctly point out, neither it or the Rede are oaths. However, I see no reason why Azareas couldn't create his own oath using the Rede as a basis - it's his choice. All he would be swearing to do is to think about his actions before acting, if they might have negative consequences. That, as far as I'm concerned, can only be a good thing.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:41 am
Morgandria

The Rede isn't a document. It's just the one line - "An' it harm none, do as ye will".

I was thinking of the poem and getting the ideas confused since as I remember the poem it seems like a lot of stuff mashed together to sound pretty. That one phrase seems to be pulled out and focused on a lot as the whole of the rede. Thanks for the correction.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you only apply the Rede's advice to people. 'None' pretty much encompasses everything - animals, plants, inanimate objects, spirits... the list can go on.

I shouldn't have, it was just what popped in my head first, again thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
The 'larger' version you're speaking of is likely The Rede of the Wiccae, which is a poem written around the Rede by Gwen Thompson, and attributed to her grandmother, Adriana Porter. It's simply a collection of advice and lore she collected and recorded on the form of a poem. It didn't appear until 1974, another ten years after the Rede's first appearance. Personally I think 'The Rede of the Wiccae' is rubbish doggrel, but that's just my opinion.

Looks like I'm going to have to recheck some of my time lines there. For some reason I thought the poem came first.

Quote:
As you correctly point out, neither it or the Rede are oaths. However, I see no reason why Azareas couldn't create his own oath using the Rede as a basis - it's his choice. All he would be swearing to do is to think about his actions before acting, if they might have negative consequences. That, as far as I'm concerned, can only be a good thing.

If his oath was only to think before acting then yeah, definitely a good thing. I'd have probably been better served if I'd stopped and considered my phrasing more before posting yesterday for example. emo

My main concern for Azareas and pretty much anyone is that he or she is jumps into making an oath. This is probably colored by the fact that I almost did that when I was younger and just starting to explore my faith. I'd have made promises to beings that I'm fairly certain at this point in time were only thought forms and my practice would have been contained to something that was really only mildly more fulfilling that what I'd known before.

I'm not saying that this would happen to others for certain, just that it's really important to look at an oath's wording to see: 1) if exactly what you're promising is what you mean and 2) if what you're promising is something you're very certain you want to be held to for an indefinite time.

It's easy to get swept up in a moment and with all the information out there that's not even accurate, it's even more important to be very critical.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:55 am
You're right, people should really think long and carefully before making an oath.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:59 pm
I haven't sworn any oaths at all. I was just a little confused on the topic. Thanks anyway ^^  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games