Welcome to Gaia! ::

The zCampaign

Back to Guilds

Here to campaign on behalf of zOMG!, Gaia's neglected and dying MMO. 

Tags: zOMG!, Campaign 

Reply The Think Tank
Educate a Noob [I] Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~Yuki~

Unbeatable Glitch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:05 pm
I know the newer generation of zOMGers can be a little immature and frustrating but maybe we can educate them and mature them up a bit and they will become just as addicted to zOMG. This way they can help their friends and continue the cycle thus creating more people willing to play

So heres my plan, on set days a group of people willing to teach other users the ropes can go to village greens and basically walk the noobs through the lay of the land. This would include Rage ranks, ring sets, crewing, being polite, respect of authority, Ghi, and anything else thats vital to zOMG existence.

You see forum topics all the time in the "welcome to gaia" section about the best way to make gold. THATS where you want to hit up people and pull in that new crowd.

Gold is an encouraging factor so while having this whole "teach a noob" thing have a drawing or contest for noobs who reach 10k tcl which would give them MORE gold or possibly a power up.

{All ideas here are subject to refinement. I just wanted to get the idea out there before I forgot ^^;;}

Current Ideas:
-Having tier achievements based around the badges to encourage noobs to learn and play.

-After completion of the "education plan" giving the recipient a certificate of completion.

-Creating a mule with a "teacher" like name and stealing noobs from leon to educated them.

-Creating a clan to act as a resource center and basically house the whole "noob education" project

Curriculum

{If anything is left out please message me and I will add it immediately}  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:59 pm
~Yuki~
I know the newer generation of zOMGers can be a little immature and frustrating but maybe we can educate them and mature them up a bit and they will become just as addicted to zOMG. This way they can help their friends and continue the cycle thus creating more people willing to play

So heres my plan, on set days a group of people willing to teach other users the ropes can go to village greens and basically walk the noobs through the lay of the land. This would include Rage ranks, ring sets, crewing, being polite, respect of authority, Ghi, and anything else thats vital to zOMG existence.

You see forum topics all the time in the "welcome to gaia" section about the best way to make gold. THATS where you want to hit up people and pull in that new crowd.

Gold is an encouraging factor so while having this whole "teach a noob" thing have a drawing or contest for noobs who reach 10k tcl which would give them MORE gold or possibly a power up.

{All ideas here are subject to refinement. I just wanted to get the idea out there before I forgot ^^;;}

Maybe we should make a kind of teaching syllabus, a rough outline of what things to teach the noobs, what order, how to explain certain tricky topics, etc. - to make it easier for each individual to be a teacher. Perhaps take inspiration from Nespin's Newbie guide.

Perhaps to get the drawing, answering randomized quizes on the topics, like the old (not sure - they might still do that) early areas used to do? I'm not sure whether that tactic, or a tcl based tactic, would be the best.

Maybe more like a driving test? After they get the teaching, and then they practice based on their knowledge, they can attend the next similar event or so, and then go through a boss instance, with the instructor judging their tactics (perhaps telling them specific things, like "buff now" or "now use a raged attack" or such, to make sure they know the terminology and tactics) and then rewarding them with their graduation?

Maybe a neat looking sig zOMG Warrior Training Diploma or something...  

Atrash the Squidmonger

Jennivieve

Peaceful Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:50 pm
If you do have a contest for newbs to reach a certain TCL, you might want to lower it a bit, for there are quite a few oldbies who aren't even at 10k TCL. For instance, I've been playing since the game went into Open Beta, and I'm just at 7.5k TCL.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:51 am
Hmm, what's a milestone tactic that doesn't encourage dull farming, isn't something that can be predicted and rote memorized, doesn't involve personal judgement to a great degree, etc...

Maybe declare "graduation" upon them returning to show that they have a full set of eight rings, obtained in game. Student is able to say what each ring does, and basically how it should be used.  

Atrash the Squidmonger

sky_rider19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:57 am
we deffinately should set up maybe an achievement list for the noobs and have a prize for each level. clasical conditioning is an excellent example of what we can do to
a) get them hooked
b) become acceptable members of society

Maybe what a "graduation" gift could be is a ring from the MP. this way, we can flush out rings that are in the MP and reward players for learning the game.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:14 pm
u could always try making a thread that maybe answers questions for those new players who have no idea wat they r doing...  

cnoisy

Lucky Informer

12,100 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Junior 100

sky_rider19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:29 pm
cnoisy
u could always try making a thread that maybe answers questions for those new players who have no idea wat they r doing...

We kind of do that already. We just answer the questions when they pop up.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:35 pm
sky_rider19
cnoisy

ya but maybe we could organize it, right now it is just all over the place  

cnoisy

Lucky Informer

12,100 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Junior 100

sky_rider19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:44 pm
cnoisy
sky_rider19
cnoisy

possibly, but noobs don't usually look for boards with their problem. They merely create more boards. We can organize the boards as much as we can, but we can't organize the new players.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:56 pm
sky_rider19
cnoisy
sky_rider19
cnoisy

possibly, but noobs don't usually look for boards with their problem. They merely create more boards. We can organize the boards as much as we can, but we can't organize the new players.

Plus, that information can be found in the help section of the game's menu. But again, the newbs don't tend to look there. That's why it is beneficial to have experienced players who are willing to help.  

Jennivieve

Peaceful Nerd

RafiCat

Mega Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:30 pm
cnoisy
sky_rider19
cnoisy

actually, there is a faq thread, put together by jzmajor...

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/zomg-gaia-s-mmo/zomg-s-faq-possible-things-to-add/t.65884637/  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:18 am
Oh wow....This really took off.

Yeah I was working on some information to basically certify the teachers or at least have a general guideline to fallow. I was lurking at ps the other day just watching everyone trying to get a grasp on what REALLY needs to be taught to the nooblets and I have a few ideas. I just need to get them out on paper. If anyone has some ideas please PM me and I will update the first post to reflect the ideas.

I know that 10ktcl is a little high I just put out a number. I realized after I posted that it was way to high. I was thinking about maybe having tier achievements. That maybe at 1k, 2k, 3k tcl ect that could add up over time.

Long time ago when I was a nooblet...I never checked the forum. Thats like reading the directions before putting something together. You just want to play with it. I also think some people learn better by example rather then reading about it. Some of the information about how to play, quests, and such can be taken directly from some of these guides so the teachers don't have to basically reinvent the wheel to teach the next generation of zomgers.  

~Yuki~

Unbeatable Glitch

jzmajor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:01 am
The forum can only help so much.
For the main part, it is down to the game to educate the user initially. This isn't saying that threads and guides are bad, nor am I knocking this idea. I think there needs to more done to the start of zOMG! before we can implement other newbie introduction strategies.

Or we could just wait beside Leon and kidnap the newbies from there... wink  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:04 am
I like the kidnapping idea too XD

The teacher would have to work with them for a while because to start out with the user only gets guns and has to work their way up. To teach the nooblet about rage you would have to wait with them till they get a buff.  

~Yuki~

Unbeatable Glitch

Atrash the Squidmonger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:35 am
~Yuki~
I like the kidnapping idea too XD

The teacher would have to work with them for a while because to start out with the user only gets guns and has to work their way up. To teach the nooblet about rage you would have to wait with them till they get a buff.

Well, you could teach them about rage for attacks too (and then teach them about how they should use rage for buffs just when they get a buff, but with the concept of what rage is already down).

Kidnapping noobs sounds pretty good. A sort of group mule clearly labeled teacher might be handy for that, or a uniform. Maybe announcing (in speak, occasionally maybe in shout) the availability of teachers in VG.

TCL might be a good indicator for the low levels, but it doesn't work as well in higher levels. Quest completion (leaders for instances have to have had the quests for them, right? So just promote them to leader, then have them enter Papa Saw or whatever, to show they got that far with quests?), Badge Completion (just the lowest kill badges for a couple things, from the first few maps to inspire people to not just stay in VG), ring obtainment (eight rings and the knowledge of how to use each one)... those might be better things, perhaps.  
The Think Tank

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff