Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Generalization- What the Heck do you Mean?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mildly-Inappropriate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:12 pm
I'm a bit confused on the Generalizations and particulars people are using to correct somebody else's useage in describing one group. I know its the same type of different that Christians use to distinguish themselves, as in Jehova's Witness, Seventh Day Advents, Mormans and such, but, truely, What is the difference between all the terminology? I consider myself Wiccan, but now I am a bit confuesd....  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:20 pm
White_River_Dance
I'm a bit confused on the Generalizations and particulars people are using to correct somebody else's useage in describing one group. I know its the same type of different that Christians use to distinguish themselves, as in Jehova's Witness, Seventh Day Advents, Mormans and such, but, truely, What is the difference between all the terminology? I consider myself Wiccan, but now I am a bit confuesd....

The sticky has some great info on Wicca 3nodding

Aside from that, there's a reconstructionist religion of essentially every palaeo-Pagan religion, other forms of religious witchcraft (Feri, 1793 or whatever, Dianic witchcraft, Reclaiming etc etc etc), a lot of people's individual paths in the form of Eclectic Neo-Paganisms and personal traditions. Then you have other things like ADF and so on, syncretic religions like Vodou, and ongoing religions that are technically Pagan like Shinto, various Native American religions etc. Paganism's huge wink  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:31 pm
A lot of authors have misrepresented what Wicca is, which unfortunately makes for lots of confusion. In the average book about "Wicca", if you replace the word "Wicca" with eclectic neo-paganism, or eclectic witchcraft, it would probably be more correct.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:49 pm
So... I am not wrong or ignorant in calling myself Wiccan? Eclectic Neo-Paganist sounds a bit.... psycotic evil cultist in my oppinion/for me. Sorry- I dont mean to offend anyone. To each their own.  

Mildly-Inappropriate

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:54 pm
White_River_Dance
So... I am not wrong or ignorant in calling myself Wiccan? Eclectic Neo-Paganist sounds a bit.... psycotic evil cultist in my oppinion/for me. Sorry- I dont mean to offend anyone. To each their own.

It would just be "Neo-Pagan", not Neo-Paganist, which doesn't really make sense wink "Eclectic" means you draw from multiple sources, taking the "best" from them as works with your own spiritual worldview. By its very definition, it can't be "cultist" in the negative sense, as a cult of that type requires obeying a charismatic leader at the very least. If you're an eclectic you're most likely out on your own, so that wouldn't apply.

Do read the Wicca sticky, because it's really awesome. Wicca requires initiation into a coven lineaged to Gardner, that upholds and maintains the core of the religion. It's easier if you read it there than I explain it in more detail here. wink  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:16 am
I like everything that Sang said- but I want to add that even the groups she mentioned have different groups within them too. There's a world of difference between New Orleans Vodou and Haitian Vodou. Wicca includes Alexnadrian, Kingstone, Gardnerian and others- so there's a lot of groups within groups.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:05 am
Esiris
I like everything that Sang said- but I want to add that even the groups she mentioned have different groups within them too. There's a world of difference between New Orleans Vodou and Haitian Vodou. Wicca includes Alexnadrian, Kingstone, Gardnerian and others- so there's a lot of groups within groups.

I guess you could call that a family tree within the religions and different parts of it, eh?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:49 pm
Mildly-Inappropriate

I agree with what Sang's already said but beyond the facts, I'm curious as to what makes you see the term Eclectic Neo-Pagan as psychotic evil and cultist. I mean I find it annoying and somewhat broad to use. Sometimes I find the sensationalist aspect of the title (as apparently anything not Abrahamic or Dharmic is considered edgy by a lot of people) to be trying at times too. Otherwise, it's technically accurate for my faith path and I have no real problem with it.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:52 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
Esiris

I guess you could call that a family tree within the religions and different parts of it, eh?
Yep- that's why it's easier to say that Alexandrian, Kingstone and other traditions are Branches of Wicca- but not easy to say that Wicca is a branch of paganism, it's really it's own tree.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games