Welcome to Gaia! ::

The zCampaign

Back to Guilds

Here to campaign on behalf of zOMG!, Gaia's neglected and dying MMO. 

Tags: zOMG!, Campaign 

Reply The Think Tank
zPsychology? O: [I] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emyre

Wheezing Warlord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:01 am

So I just had an interesting experience.
      I was killing Kat's Kokeshi Doll with a random, newb(mostly) crew.
      One person was CL7, but the others were all between 3.0 and 4.0.
      We did a handful of runs successfully.
      On the third or fourth run, I remembered, "Power ups! I should probably use them."
      So I started using Super Chargers to restore Stamina, and Ghi-Amps or whatever they're called nowadays.
      And waddya know, the rest of the crew started using them too.

So here's my idea:
      If we start crewing with newbies, and use our Power-Ups frequently, it could very easily become the "Norm" for players.
      Personally, I still have the mindset of keeping Power Ups for emergencies.
      But that stemmed from when I started playing. Power Ups used to cost 749GC.
      I think a lot of users may be in the same mindset for the same reason.
      And if we start using them all the time, they could become popular on their own accord, and for what they do.
      Newbs complete Cash offers to get Cash to buy Power Ups.

I dunno. I could see it happening.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:15 am
This. I tend to hoard my powerups (I'm a packrat like that) and use them only in crazy situations, and when I feel that we'll actually succeed so that I don't feel like I'm wasting them. I've noticed that seeing others use powerups often encourages me to "back up" the use by firing a couple of my own powerups, and vice versa. Any powerup use seems to raise the stakes of not using more powerups, and also makes things look more winnable if we use powerups.

So yes. Visible (but not vain) displays of using powerups, using it a lot in crews - daring to do more difficult tasks with smaller crews due to powerups... all that can probably change the way we all think about powerups, increasing demand. It might also inform people more about the powerups they might otherwise ignore or not know about (many people ask about Revives and what they are, for example).  

Atrash the Squidmonger

Emyre

Wheezing Warlord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:20 am

Yeah, when people just use them for absolutely no reason, it kinda makes me want to punch them in the face.
      But. We should start using them in crews, just to make playing more convenient, instead of only in emergencies.
      Teach people that it's not a waste to use them freely, since one use of a Super Charger costs about a penny.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:25 am
SykoCaster

Yeah, when people just use them for absolutely no reason, it kinda makes me want to punch them in the face.
      But. We should start using them in crews, just to make playing more convenient, instead of only in emergencies.
      Teach people that it's not a waste to use them freely, since one use of a Super Charger costs about a penny.

Yeah. And how much is the cost of one charge of each powerup in gold?

The general populace tends to encourage Awakening quickly after getting dazed in most situations - encouraging Reviving as an alternative might also be useful. If there's a crowd of dazed people coming from an instance, and you have defib, smack a Revive to defib people, rather than waiting to be defibbed. Maybe we should organize defibless runs utilizing, along with good rings and strategy, including powerups, Revives for everyone - make it semi popular, like Speed SS has become.  

Atrash the Squidmonger

cnoisy

Lucky Informer

12,100 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:39 pm
maybe its just that since they r noobs they r easily influenced lol, but ya i could see this working lol...  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:04 am
I had that mind set for the longest time because I had a set number of powerups and no way to buy more. I still don't have that many, and I still want to hoard them (I'd rather save up the GC I earn from offers for the pets that are coming out soon) but I might be more willing to use them more often if it'll help zOMG. Heck, I only have some now because I really want to support zOMG.  

Nanenna

Evil Reelando

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:10 am
Well even though I don't have money and haven't been paid for a while but I can still save up gold and buy power ups at the MC.

It's an idea I can try!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:01 pm
For whatever reason, I have a few power ups with me. x:

I can definitely see that happening though. Personally, I used to only rarely see power ups being used, but it is being used a little more frequently today.
Maybe that's partly because of you? : D

meeiji

Monster Ship

Emyre

Wheezing Warlord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:06 am
cnoisy
maybe its just that since they r noobs they r easily influenced lol, but ya i could see this working lol...

Newbs, not noobs.
      Newbs are the future, man.
      Teach 'em young.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:00 pm
SykoCaster
cnoisy

Newbs, not noobs.
      Newbs are the future, man.
      Teach 'em young.

Ok, that gave me my first lol of the evening!

I've never really used my powerups when around others (I usually am soloing) so how, exactly would others know if it's being used or not? Does it have an animation that everyone sees (like Defib or Wish)?

Another thing, can we use it to selectively heal/revive others (Bandage, etc) or is it only usable on the one who has it (Meat, etc)?  

Ju Tru Nix

Benevolent Elder

17,550 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Noob wrangler 100

Atrash the Squidmonger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:13 pm
Powerups have quite visible and distinctive animations (especially revive) - I'm not sure if actions people can take to view only their ring animations, or to cut out animations in general for performance issues effect these, though. I've never seen any used except for self-only, although maybe that's just because we're all so miserly about them.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:23 pm
I've never used powerups (besides the freebies they gave me when I started back in 0 cool , but I can see how they'd help. Our whole crew died today in EB and someone used revives on 2 that had defib. We ended up beating it the next time ;D  

SheThoughtSheDid

Anxious Nerd

16,550 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

bloodwitch

Edgiest Mage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:04 pm
SegaManiac
I've never used powerups (besides the freebies they gave me when I started back in 0 cool , but I can see how they'd help. Our whole crew died today in EB and someone used revives on 2 that had defib. We ended up beating it the next time ;D

? you can use revives on other people?

and i normally only use revives in EB or ... SS if it's an emergancy, b/c
they're like what? 30+k on the MP last i checked (months and months ago) and i cant zomg as much as i would like; i've been off for 3+ weeks e__e, so its not like i have the means to easily replace that gold.

lul; i have a friend who's getting back on gaia so i'm actually going to walk her through zomg with one of my mules that needs lvling up :]  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:11 am
I tried to use revive on someone and it didn't work...is it supposed to?

And yes, they all have animations, double orb also shows on your little character window if you're using it, but I think if you have your animations only selected, you won't see them.

Speaking of which, ever since Halloween, I've had to leave my animations off, I didn't use to, but now it lags badly if I so much as view crew animations. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it something weird going on with my computer?  

RafiCat

Mega Hoarder

Atrash the Squidmonger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:32 am
RafiCat
I tried to use revive on someone and it didn't work...is it supposed to?

And yes, they all have animations, double orb also shows on your little character window if you're using it, but I think if you have your animations only selected, you won't see them.

Double Orb and Ghi Amps (/whatever they call them now) both show up in the crew panel, right? And those things will be visible to the crew (or anyone looking at you) even with self animations only.

As for Revive, it's marketplace description suggests that it is self only. I've never seen it used other than self only.  
The Think Tank

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff