Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
Looking for Medieval Fantasy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Saint Talavar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:25 pm
I'm looking for some medieval fantasy. No, don't suggest Tolkien or C.S. Lewis. Not only have I already read those, but that's not quite the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'm looking for something with firm roots in the real medieval world. For example, "The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart" is actually set in 1364 Europe. Having recently read "Brothers Grossbart", I'm itching for more stories like it, that call upon actual history to use as a backdrop for the fantastic. Any ideas?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:32 pm
Can't think of anything medieval offhand. How about a little further forward? Like "Neal Stephenson’s epic Baroque Cycle, spins a dizzying tale of science and adventure on the colorful canvas of late seventeenth- and early eighteenth-century Christendom." I read the first one, Quicksilver, and it has a fantasy feel to it. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell has a lot of historical background. Main action takes place around the year 1800, but there are lots of reference to earlier periods, too.
I'll try to think of something more to your specs.  

Lady Pole
Crew

Saint Talavar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:15 pm
That sounds good to me. I'll check it out. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:55 pm
This book immediately came to mind.

I read it years ago and still remember more than half of the plot which says something about it's quality. I was in awe of the plot and the woman who came to be the villain. Astounding.

It's set in the 12th century and I think that falls into the medieval times.

pakki

Unbeatable Ladykiller

4,150 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:10 pm
User Image Hmm, so you're looking for some historical fiction fantasy for Medieval times? First of all, Vivian Vande Velde sounds right up your alley. Here's some other ideas:

The Arthurian Legends. Not sure of the actual name or title.
The Mists of Avalon - very heavy and sad, but awesome and worth it. It's basically Arthurian legends from the chicks' side
The Once And Future King by T.H.White - It's a classic I think
The Book of Mordred by Vivian Vande Velde

Other Medieval stuff, dunno if its so factual:

The Alanna series (I didn't like it, but a lot of people do) and other collected works of Tamora Pierce
Dealing With Dragons (EXCELLENT series!)
Heir Apparent by same author - it's the future, but she's in a holo-computer game taking place in that time period
The Rumpelstiltskin Problem by VVV. Funny as heck.
Dragonlance novels
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.
Dhampir by Barb and J.C. Hendee - awesome badass vampire hunter novel  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:31 pm
Well, I can suggest some stories from medieval England, although it seems like you are looking for contemporary novels set in a medieval backdrop. Still, here are some if you are interested:

La Morte D'Arthur - Sir Thomas Malory (this is the original written work from which most modern adaptations take their inspiration for the King Arthur story- "The Mists of Avalon" as mentioned previously actually follows it narratively to a tee while taking a very different viewpoint of the story.)

Sir Orfeo - (a narrative poem involving a knight and faerie)

Lanval- Marie deFrance (yet another fine narrative poem involving a knight and faerie)

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - (a story concurrent with the tale of Arthur. About knighthood, with some fine supernatural happenings, and Tolkien actually has a great translation of it.)

So maybe those will strike your fancy. I feel it's always worth something to learn the basic origins of some of our favorite modern genres.  

The Sycamore Lady

8,250 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:57 am
Cadfael is a great mystery series, although not fantasy at all... but tis still awesome smile

Dreamscapist - so that stuff about Mordred being the child of incest - that's true???  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:03 am
Sita Harker

The Book of Mordred by Vivian Vande Velde

The Alanna series (I didn't like it, but a lot of people do) and other collected works of Tamora Pierce
Dealing With Dragons (EXCELLENT series!)
Heir Apparent by same author - it's the future, but she's in a holo-computer game taking place in that time period
I've read those books and I agree, they are good, especially Dealing With Dragons : )  

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Beckygan
Crew

7,150 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:42 pm
The Janna Mysteries by Felicity Pulman is set in the Medieval era but doesn't really have much fantasy. It does have some edgy mystery though!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:05 pm
Sita Harker

Dreamscapist - so that stuff about Mordred being the child of incest - that's true???

Well, yes, it's true in the sense that it in Malory's Le Morte D'arthur Mordred is the result of incest, and this is the basis for the Mists of Avalon. There is in fact a running prophecy throughout Le Morte D'arthur that Arthur's son will destroy him, and the reason Mordred is fated to commit that act is because of the perverse nature of his own origins.

Some very early accounts make him as the son of Morgause and Lot of Orkney, but I think Monmouth (a writer who pre-dates Malory) is the first version in which he is the result of incest.  

The Sycamore Lady

8,250 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:51 pm
The War Hound and the World's Pain
and it's sequel
by M Moorcock

are set in a nonmodern post-medieval setting which is still authentic and convincing, full of magic and paradox

John Crowley's Aegypt cycle accesses medieval alchemy and heresy in a psychedelic blend of fact and fantasy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:06 pm
If you want to read fantasy about the 'historical Arthur'...  

The Little Pest

Romantic Raider

7,625 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:24 pm
Aladore by John Henry Newbolt is a fine medieval fantasy filled with love and grief, wonder and pain.

i am sure you will love it (i love classical fantasy and have owned this one for years)

http://www.amazon.com/Aladore-Henry-John-Newbolt/dp/0893705047  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:58 pm
Wintertowne
Can't think of anything medieval offhand. How about a little further forward? Like "Neal Stephenson’s epic Baroque Cycle, spins a dizzying tale of science and adventure on the colorful canvas of late seventeenth- and early eighteenth-century Christendom." I read the first one, Quicksilver, and it has a fantasy feel to it. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell has a lot of historical background. Main action takes place around the year 1800, but there are lots of reference to earlier periods, too.
I'll try to think of something more to your specs.

in that same period is Michae; Moorcock's The War Hound and the World's Pain and it's sequel, City of the Autumn Stars.

and of course, as Wintertowne says, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is outstanding.  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

The Friends of English Magic Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces