Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
[DISCUSSION]Book Of Shadows. Electronic or Traditional? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What method do you prefer?
  Poll Only, No preferance.
  Electronic
  Traditional
  Other
View Results

Castor_Courrel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:36 am
As it is my first post in this Guild, Let me first apologize if this topic is placed incorrectly.

I've recently been constructing a book of shadows using HTML and im finding it extremely useful.

-My table of contents links me to whatever page I need with much more speed then I would flipping around.
-Adding or editing information is effortless
-I can add snap shots and extremely detailed information, and rituals(I have an herbal dictionary, records of every tarot reading ive ever done, spells, recipes you name it)
-Not to mention I can make it look however I want and can change how it looks at will.

The one drawback I can see is that its much less personal to me. There's something about writing it all down as impractical as it is that is strangely alluring to me. Then again its work to read my own handwriting.

Does anyone else use an electronic Book Of Shadows?
Does anyone oppose it?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:11 am
I'm seeking Wicca- if it turns out it's right for me and I'm initiated, I'll be making a hand copied Book of Shadows, it's part of the Tradition.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:16 pm
Most of my stuff is kept on my computer as well. I actually went out at one point and bought some nice paper and binders and stuff, so I could make a handwritten on, but never got around to actually putting it all together.

Esiris
I'm seeking Wicca- if it turns out it's right for me and I'm initiated, I'll be making a hand copied Book of Shadows, it's part of the Tradition.

I think this is probably why, I've not formally written anything out - on the off chance I eventually find a coven, I'd rather not have to start all over again. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 pm
ncsweet

I think this is probably why, I've not formally written anything out - on the off chance I eventually find a coven, I'd rather not have to start all over again. sweatdrop
For me- since a lot of my stuff is handed down by word of mouth, I wouldn't mind keeping a book for it too- and keeping them separate of course.
I'm just not sure I'd call it a Book of Shadows  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:43 pm
I've got my copies of the various things from the coven. I also maintain my own 'Book of Shadows', which is a book of my own ritual practices when I'm on my own. It's full of bits and pieces from over the years. I have mine on the computer, but nicely printed out with graphics and a font large enough for me to read easily by candle-light.

I also have a grimoire, which is all my 'working' bits and bobs, spellcraft and the like. It's a massive binder, and again I keep it on my computer, as well as nicely printed out so I can read it.

I like my coven books, but I see no reason not to maintain my own as well.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:45 pm
Morgandria
I've got my copies of the various things from the coven. I also maintain my own 'Book of Shadows', which is a book of my own ritual practices when I'm on my own. It's full of bits and pieces from over the years. I have mine on the computer, but nicely printed out with graphics and a font large enough for me to read easily by candle-light.

I also have a grimoire, which is all my 'working' bits and bobs, spellcraft and the like. It's a massive binder, and again I keep it on my computer, as well as nicely printed out so I can read it.

I like my coven books, but I see no reason not to maintain my own as well.
Hey Morg- I know some people get upset at calling a ritual knife the same as it's called in Wicca- is that true for the phrase Book of Shadows too?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:31 pm
Esiris
Hey Morg- I know some people get upset at calling a ritual knife the same as it's called in Wicca- is that true for the phrase Book of Shadows too?

I don't think so. It's a really just a term to describe a particular type of grimoire. Wicca has a specific Book of Shadows, but I've never come across anything that says it's a term only Wiccans use.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:33 pm
Morgandria

I don't think so. It's a really just a term to describe a particular type of grimoire. Wicca has a specific Book of Shadows, but I've never come across anything that says it's a term only Wiccans use.

Thanks!  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:44 pm
We had a discussion on that in SNF a while back I think, Es. We ended up distinguishing between the Book of Shadows and a book of shadows. People who weren't really aware of that got really confused. xd

Now, I'm sort of creating my own wotsit, form of religious witchcraft. One day I'd like to write it all out in a proper grimoire, once I find a book I like. At the moment it's on my computer, in a set of folders.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:57 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
We had a discussion on that in SNF a while back I think, Es. We ended up distinguishing between the Book of Shadows and a book of shadows. People who weren't really aware of that got really confused. xd

Now, I'm sort of creating my own wotsit, form of religious witchcraft. One day I'd like to write it all out in a proper grimoire, once I find a book I like. At the moment it's on my computer, in a set of folders.

I bet it was confusing. I think I might have been there for it- it's hard to say because I feel like I can't post and have a civil conversation most of the time. sweatdrop

Hey Sang? Do you feel like sharing in general terms what you included in your wotsit?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Alonso Pierre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:28 pm
I know that this thread is old, but I thought I'd put in my take on the matter. I keep my Book of Shadows in a Word document. I use the document map and headers to organize different sections and easily navigate the pages. I feel that my book is very personalized, because I add pictures that I find online, as well as I sometimes add personal pictures of alters and tools that I use. I find that this book is easier to use when doing ritual work, because my laptop takes up less space on my alter, and I can cover the keys with a notebook and a piece of cloth and use it to lay things on.

I also keep a digital book of mirrors. My dream journal is not digital, however, so that I can stick it under my pillow smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:46 pm
Alonso Pierre
I know that this thread is old, but I thought I'd put in my take on the matter. I keep my Book of Shadows in a Word document. I use the document map and headers to organize different sections and easily navigate the pages. I feel that my book is very personalized, because I add pictures that I find online, as well as I sometimes add personal pictures of alters and tools that I use. I find that this book is easier to use when doing ritual work, because my laptop takes up less space on my alter, and I can cover the keys with a notebook and a piece of cloth and use it to lay things on.

I also keep a digital book of mirrors. My dream journal is not digital, however, so that I can stick it under my pillow smile

I'm not sure it's ethical to use other people's artwork from online without their permission. cat_neutral  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:48 pm
Esiris

I'm not sure it's ethical to use other people's artwork from online without their permission. cat_neutral

There are lots of people who produce images for free use, or specifically for people to use in a Book of Shadows and so on. There are a few accounts set up for that sort of thing on deviant art, I think ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:56 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Esiris

There are lots of people who produce images for free use, or specifically for people to use in a Book of Shadows and so on. There are a few accounts set up for that sort of thing on deviant art, I think ^_^

Good point! cat_3nodding
I guess as long as it's like that and not something taken randomly without the artist's permission it's a great idea!  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:57 am
I do a little of both, although ultimately most things I hold onto get hand copied into one of my books. My working book at the moment is a three ring binder, although I would love to make up one of those lovely coffee table sized bound books one day.

I find that I remember stuff better once I have hand copied it. I can research something and type it out like I would an article, and I will remember less than if I hand wrote it.

Right now, I also like the portability of a physical book. Perhaps, as electronic books and notepads get cheaper I might keep a second on something like that, but right now I think that would be harder to use for actually working than a paper copy. Plus there is just something about paper that appeals to me.  
*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff