Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Christophero55

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:06 pm
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

I have to mention this series. I want to see if anyone else has read it and want to give it a mention for anyone who has not.

It is simply amazing. There is a fully realized world from page one. The magic system is really interesting. The characters are very realistic in their personalities and growth. There are strong female characters central to the story as well as male. The scope is epic. There is drama, romance, horror, intrigue, action and even some comedy.

There are only a couple of possible reasons to not read this series.

It is HUGE. Every book is at least 600 pages and some go to over 900. There are 13 books in the main sequence with a 14th coming out in a year that will end it. There is also a prequel novel and a guide book. Also the story pacing slows quite a bit at the beginning of the fourth quarter of the main sequence and by the end there are a LOT of characters and threads to keep track of.

However, this is a good thing for many readers. I myself have often come to the end of a book or series only to wish there was more.

Also there is a comic book series of eight volumes for the prequel novel and a new series running now for the events of the first novel of the main sequence The Eye of the World.

I highly recommend this series.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:18 pm
I've read a few of them. I definitely recommend the prequel book - New Spring. It's my favourite of the Wheel of Time books. I've read as far as Dragon Reborn. It took me a while to read Dragon Reborn, and I haven't yet started Shadow Rising. They are very good books, and I've enjoyed the ones I've read so far. Definitely want to read all current thirteen of them!  

smile_clarenet

2,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Averian

Hallowed Saint

8,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 am
I got up until mid-way through Winter's Heart and got thoroughly annoyed by Rand's angsty bipolar whining and the general degradation of the other character's personalities. :/ It just became work to read.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 am
yeah ... read it ... interesting stuff

got a bit weird towards the end

started out as a traditional adventure/fantasy, and then everybody went insane

definitely recommend this series  

archenteron

Infinity Outlaw

Shadowy Rogue

12,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:55 pm
I really enjoyed the series, but I got up to about the eighth book and just kind of got bogged down. A few of the characters really started to get on my nerves too. So I've been on a couple year break from the series. Now that Sanderson is finishing it up though, I'm thinking about picking up where I left off.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:15 pm
Infinity Outlaw
I really enjoyed the series, but I got up to about the eighth book and just kind of got bogged down. A few of the characters really started to get on my nerves too. So I've been on a couple year break from the series. Now that Sanderson is finishing it up though, I'm thinking about picking up where I left off.

to me it seemed as if the whole series got bogged down about then.

here were all these interesting characters and plot threads and then they just got abandoned or he made poor use of them, so i just lost interest  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:44 pm
beaulolais
Infinity Outlaw

to me it seemed as if the whole series got bogged down about then.

here were all these interesting characters and plot threads and then they just got abandoned or he made poor use of them, so i just lost interest

Sanderson might be doing something about that, methinks.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:13 pm
ah!

what a great job, i hope some author or publisher chooses me to carry on something along those lines  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

The Friends of English Magic Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces