Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Finding the Key... My own personal questions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IIBlack-Embers48II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:28 pm
Okay, this is going to be my own little page for my questions. I choose to do it this way, because I see that a lot of people just spam up the forums with dozens of topics with one single question, and then when its answered, the topic is really of no more use. So, unless your answering a question, please do not spam up my question page too much!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:09 pm
IIBlack-Embers48II

Thank you, and Blessed Be!

It might help the quality of responses if you were to avoid using Blessed Be. In Wicca, that has a very specific meaning- since it was lifted from Wicca into Eclectic Paganism, it can be off putting to people who worked hard for their initiation into the Mysteries to see it used out of context.

Because of that- it can make people feel really disrespected, and it will try the patience of people who would otherwise be willing to help you or maybe even limit who responds to you all together.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

IIBlack-Embers48II

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:35 am
Okay, is Merry Part any better?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:50 am
IIBlack-Embers48II
Okay, is Merry Part any better?
It's still ritual language taken out of context from Wicca- so not really.

Is there a reason you feel you need to end a post like that?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

IIBlack-Embers48II

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:53 pm
I dont know... Its kinda the only ending I can think of that sounds right...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 pm
IIBlack-Embers48II
I dont know... Its kinda the only ending I can think of that sounds right...

Does it even need an ending? Please don't take this the wrong way- it's really the only analogy I can think of, but it reminds me of how after 3rd Grade, teachers frown on you putting The End as the last thing on your paper. sweatdrop

In rituals where there is a deep meaning behind those words- they make sense, but on an internet post? It doesn't make the same sense to me.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

IIBlack-Embers48II

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 pm
I really don't see a problem here. I mean, I've seen a lot of people end post in these endings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:23 pm
IIBlack-Embers48II
I really don't see a problem here. I mean, I've seen a lot of people end post in these endings.

So if everyone jumped off a bridge you'd do it to?
Just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's correct/the right thing to do.

I politely request, and I know many others agree with Esiris and myself, that you remove the Merry Part as well.

"Damn my blood... I scorn to do anyone a mischief, when it is not for my advantage."

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

HorsesOfTheNight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:26 pm
IIBlack-Embers48II
Many people do not use these words correctly. People who have taken the time and the effort to become Wiccan do not like when these words are not used correctly. As Esiris has said, they are for rituals.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:47 pm
Also, at least for me, people who throw around the 'lingo' (Blessed Be, Merry Meet/Part, So Mote It Be, etc.) really just look like they're trying too hard to fit in. It's sort of a 'newb' thing to do - like a new Christian who says 'Christ Be With You' or 'Jesus Bless' constantly. It makes you look really over-eager, and insecure, like you need to remind yourself and everyone else around that you're a witch or a pagan every time you say something.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:54 pm
IIBlack-Embers48II

Well, the problem comes in a few different forms- it does feel really forced. Look at it this way- do you end every sentence with Blessed Be or Merry Meet? Probably not- because it wouldn't 'sound' right. Saying something like that should be saved for the right time and place, which brings us to the next part of the problem.

The right time and place in the eyes of Wiccans like Morgandria is in a Wiccan Circle. Because of the kind of religion that Wicca is- those phrases have a very special meaning. I'm not Wiccan yet- I'm just a Seeker working with a coven- so I don't even know what they mean. I have an idea from working with them what it means to be part of a coven though- they are family, as dear or even more so as any beloved blood. Part of being Wiccan is being born to reunite with this spiritual family- so it's important to save those words for those dearly special people- at least, that's what's in my heart right now. I'm no expert- so I listen to the actual Wiccans in that regard- and that comes to the final part of it all.

People who are Wiccan earned their initiations, and the ones here make a polite request- that what they have earned isn't taken out of context. When it is- some of them are hurt- others don't mind. But if you're hurting someone- and they ask you politely to stop- it's only polite to give them that consideration if it isn't costing you your wellbeing. If you had a mental tick- I'd say it can't be helped- but that isn't what this is, so out of basic courtesy, would you refrain please?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:15 pm
Okay, okay... sweatdrop  

IIBlack-Embers48II

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:58 pm
IIBlack-Embers48II
Okay, okay... sweatdrop
Thank you- I really appreciate you being willing to listen and discuss this with us.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:58 pm
Mmm... I personally want to say sorry, actually. Now that I read back, I noticed I seemed to come on a little bit stubborn. I didnt mean it like that. I'm thankful for all of your advice and comments and I thank you all for informing me on my improper use of vocabulary...

IIBlack-Embers48II

*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff