Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Academy
JLPT - Japanese Language Proficiency Test

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:34 pm
This is just an extra challenge for those of you who are serious about Japanese. If you ever plan to live, work or go to school in Japan, you will have to take this test at some point in your life.

The JLPT is an official test of a non-Native Japanese speaker's fluency and language abilities, and there are five different levels that you can achieve; N1 is the highest level and N5 is the lowest. In order to obtain a permanent resident status, citizenship, employment in Japan or admission to a Japanese school (or admission to a University outside of Japan in the field of Japanese), you must have JLPT certification.

I noticed, when browsing through your roll calls, that many of you do intend to move to Japan or work there, so I thought you should know about this test. I myself plan to take it in the next few years (for those of you who don't know, I am a computer science major, and having knowledge of Japanese can really help one to land a job in the tech industry). Some of you may want to consider taking it too. The official web-page is here:

http://www.jlpt.jp/e/

Note that there are very few testing locations in North America (Fortunately for me, my university is one of the only three test sites in Canada), so there may not be a test center close to you.

If you are considering taking this test, remember that it is not something to be taken lightly. The Japan Foundation estimates that it takes 150 hours of study to pass the N5 (the lowest certification) IF YOU SPEAK ANOTHER ASIAN LANGUAGE. If you are a native English speaker the hours of study required are significantly higher. You can browse through some of the example questions and see what you think.

So, is there anyone here that is interested in taking this test? Let me know!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:12 am
Haven't attempted one of these yet though I really should have. It's a good way to buckle down on the studying and really strive for a goal. I wonder if the new 5 levels even out the jump from level 3 to level 2.

Have you taken one of these Starry?  

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:41 pm
Kai Shi
Haven't attempted one of these yet though I really should have. It's a good way to buckle down on the studying and really strive for a goal. I wonder if the new 5 levels even out the jump from level 3 to level 2.

Have you taken one of these Starry?

Not yet, but I'm planning to take the N5 in December. I've heard that adding the fifth level was pretty effective at evening out that gap, and from what I can see, the N5 isn't difficult at all.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:13 pm
I plan on taking it in the following year because sometime next year I will be moving to Japan. (Hokkaido! heart )

The JLPT intimidates me... XD  

flightyPrick

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:28 pm
Cascade-kun
I plan on taking it in the following year because sometime next year I will be moving to Japan. (Hokkaido! heart )

You might be interested in this stuff then. All of these flashcard packs are tailored especially for the JLPT. A friend of mine just bought the N5/N4 level kanji set and they're absolutely fantastic.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:30 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Cascade-kun

You might be interested in this stuff then. All of these flashcard packs are tailored especially for the JLPT. A friend of mine just bought the N5/N4 level kanji set and they're absolutely fantastic.

Thankies~! But I have to wait until the summer when I turn 16, get a job, get myself some money, and buy these things. sweatdrop  

flightyPrick

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Ryuondo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:57 am
I have several friends that took them. I think one took the 2 and the rest the 3. I don't know how they did. I'm going to be studying for it this semester while I tutor.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:45 pm
Registration for this year's Edmonton JLPT exams opens on September 1st... looks like I'll be writing the N5 on December 4th. Wish me luck, you guys. sweatdrop  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:43 pm
I am far from doing so, but I do plan to take at least up to n3 in the JLPT exams.
Oddly enough though I am torn on whether I would live in Japan. At first I thought it would be sweet, but as I learn more and more about culture and expectation I am not so sure yet if it would be right for me permanently. My plan is to study in or just visit Japan for however long then make my decision. My Japanese class teacher has passed N3 and she offered me this site (or at least this is the google result of what she told me). http://www.tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt5/ I think this covers the need to know. Hope it helps!  
Japanese Academy

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games