Ok this is bullshit and it STILL bothers me

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:00 am
I'm sure some of you heard about the time my sisters internet boyfriend was allegedly shot. If not here's a tl;dr story.

Apparently the guy was in his own apartment minding his own business. The occupant of the apartment directly below him was a drug dealer and the police raided the place. The dealer jumped a cop and during the struggle the cop fired off a round into the ceiling which came through the floor of the apartment where my sisters boyfriend lives hitting him in the arm barely missing the bone. Afterwards paramedics showed up and without asking for allergy medicine they shot him up with pain killers he was allergic to.

How the ******** am I supposed to believe this? When you shoot the ceiling there's a good chance you're going to hit a rafter/joist. The greater the angle the more likely you are to hit it. Even if you don't hit it you're hitting the ceiling, going through insulation, going through a hard wood floor boards, through whatever carpeting or linoleum covers the boards, and still magically have enough accuracy in its trajectory and enough energy behind the bullet to magically hit him in the arm somehow missing the bone barely and every artery/vein in the arm.

I heard this bullshit almost 3 years ago and I'm still confused how I am expected to understand this. I call him out on it and explain why I believe it is bullshit and so I'm the a*****e. Because I wasn't there I can't prove it didn't happen. stressed A shot like that is a chance in a million (like a ship being hit by a wave in the ocean)  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:29 am
If it was a rifle, it's more likely. As a note, there may or may not be insulation between floors, it's one of those cost-cutting measures a lot of buildings have, just like how almost every house has hollow-core walls between rooms. And as a bit of anecdotal evidence, I know a guy who was parked at a stoplight during a driveby... he took only one round in his left arm which had been resting on the window edge, and it entered his elbow, exited his wrist, and missed absolutely anything important. That s**t just happens sometimes.

On the other hand, floors and ceilings in multistory buildings are usually each 1/4" plywood. I wouldn't doubt that 1/4" of plywood, 4" of dead space or fiberglass, and another 1/4" of plywood would stop a 9mm or .45 dead, and it would certainly fully expand the round long before it got to hitting a person an additional three or four feet off the ground. The only cop round I can think of that might make it all the way through is .357SIG FMJ, and I sincerely doubt even that would still carry a lethal velocity... which would help to explain the pansy-a** wound, I suppose.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:10 am
it's very possible.

from what I understand police swat generally carry submachineguns vs rifles for raids but that doesnt mean it's not uncommon for an m4 to be used by them.

the subguns are loaded with HP rounds (their sidearms as well) AFAIK both for stopping power and to prevent over penetration of both the target and the building. but even then it can still go through walls and other parts of a building if it's thin enough.

im not sure if you have seen the army penetration tests of different types of concealment/cover on a house-like environment using different types of rounds.
if you were to see it you'd be surprised what most bullets are capable of.

just remember, concealment is not the same thing as cover. just because you cant be seen doesn't mean you cant be hit.

stuff like this usually happens with the ever increasing popularity of "no-knock warrants" where a criminal is considered so dangerous that a police agency has to take them by surprise. it's meant to get things over with quicker and put officers in less danger than it would have had the criminal been given time to prepare.

the risk for innocent casualties greatly increases with this practice so these guys train and train to make the raid go as smoothly as possible, but as you know in your sis's bf's case accidents still happen.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:38 pm
i stopped at internet boyfriend. I want to call it a lie from there  

IDK WTF Im Doing

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas