Welcome to Gaia! ::

Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Back to Guilds

"Helping" Final Fantasy fans with their addictions since 2004. 

Tags: Final Fantasy, RPGs, Square Enix 

Reply Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild
Darn you costume designers... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you mind if the costume designers gave less revealing outfits to female characters?
  I'd love it if they did.
  I could care less how they're dressed.
  I'd write and complain.
View Results

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm
I think Final fantasy costume designers are

A) Male
B) Not the sort of people I would ever ask to make a suit of armor for me.
C) Lost in their own little worlds. Their own stupid little worlds.

So many fantasy games in general send girls out to battle with decorative shoulder armor IF they're lucky.

I don't know about you but if I was going out to save the world I would want a full suit of armor that actually covers where enemies are going to try to stab me. White mages in the first Final Fantasy are at least decently covered and with an outfit like that, they could climb a freezing mountain. They could also be hiding anything under those robes. (Personally I'd wear a utility belt and some chainmail under them.) Refia in the DS remake of FF3 had some lovely outfits to smite evil in style too.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:01 am
Lol, tell me about it. Having or 60% of your body exposed while fight some giant, super dangerous, or even poisonous monster with sharp fangs/sclaws may not be the best idea.  

BleedingInkXIII

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 pm
That's an understatement. : )  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:05 pm
ContrabassClarinetist
That's an understatement. : )
its all about appeal, Lulu, rikku, vanile, and fang. nuff said. all amazing  

TimithyEcho

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:01 am
You try going to fight gigantic monsters in decorative underwear. With a decorative piece of fabric to trip you up.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:53 pm
ContrabassClarinetist
You try going to fight gigantic monsters in decorative underwear. With a decorative piece of fabric to trip you up.
dude...or umm dudett the point is that its a game and its ment to be for appeal. you try doing blitz ace or omnislash or anything that some fot he characters, do i understand they dot hat but remember its for appeal to get people to buy it.  

TimithyEcho

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm
True, but I don't think they necessarily need to. The games already would sell well to people because they are Final Fantasy games and have really cool monsters to fight and the plots people love. The first Final Fantasy is popular without the revealing outfits. Sure some people would complain, but they will most likely buy the games anyway and I'm pretty sure the majority won't care as long as the characters are well designed.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:21 pm
I added a poll so we can ask our fellow people.  

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

TimithyEcho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:03 pm
ContrabassClarinetist
True, but I don't think they necessarily need to. The games already would sell well to people because they are Final Fantasy games and have really cool monsters to fight and the plots people love. The first Final Fantasy is popular without the revealing outfits. Sure some people would complain, but they will most likely buy the games anyway and I'm pretty sure the majority won't care as long as the characters are well designed.

yes and no, games are now sold alot based on appeal, lets face it FF games are losing thee good stories and what not, yes you have fans that willbuy them but serously imagine tiffa or yuffie dressed in armour or something...not a sight ide like to see lol.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:55 pm
Dude, Tifa would look awesome if she had the right armor. I don't like that people think of women as eye candy for video games; it's demeaning.  

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ozxander

Dangerous Vampire

6,475 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:12 pm
Sorry to interrupt but there is a point to be made that depending on your fighting style full armor would be more of a hindrance than an asset. for example Tifa is a fist fighter. That means she has to move fast and strike hard, which is next to impossible if you are wearing a full set of plate armor. or even chainmail. That said the outfits dont need to be as revealing as they are. It really is all about the fanservice when it comes to the womens (and even some of the mens) outfits.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:38 pm
Ahhh, well... I'll agree that the way they tend to dress girls is hardly practical; that's a given. But I will totally defend any outfit with enough aesthetic appeal. Maybe it's the artist in me, but I could spend hours just staring at designs like Jihl or Rosa in the DS version. There is absolutely no reason to wear spikes on your shoulders or that kind of neckline, let alone a cape. But honestly, I don't mind. It is fantasy, after all.

It's only when you get to X-2 levels of trying to be sexy that it gets annoying, I think. Seriously, this? What the heck? It's not even that I think it's impractical; it's more that they blatantly sacrificed not only good design, but her character to make it skimpy.  

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:42 pm
ozxander and Ravenwolf seem to have nailed it. Capes are fun I have to admit. I believe it's possible to find "shields" for the mages in FF1 Dawn of souls version that are capes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:51 am
ContrabassClarinetist
Dude, Tifa would look awesome if she had the right armor. I don't like that people think of women as eye candy for video games; it's demeaning.
they arent real people, video game characters dont have feelings.  

TimithyEcho

TimithyEcho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:53 am
Ravenwolf
Ahhh, well... I'll agree that the way they tend to dress girls is hardly practical; that's a given. But I will totally defend any outfit with enough aesthetic appeal. Maybe it's the artist in me, but I could spend hours just staring at designs like Jihl or Rosa in the DS version. There is absolutely no reason to wear spikes on your shoulders or that kind of neckline, let alone a cape. But honestly, I don't mind. It is fantasy, after all.

It's only when you get to X-2 levels of trying to be sexy that it gets annoying, I think. Seriously, this? What the heck? It's not even that I think it's impractical; it's more that they blatantly sacrificed not only good design, but her character to make it skimpy.

ehh i dunno yuna was so so in some of her outfits but i think paine and rikku (ESPECIALLY RIKKU) pulled off alot of those lol  
Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff