Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Are 33 round pistol magazines legal in AZ?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:43 am
So, in the wake of the AZ shooting, people are bombarding the newspaper I read with comments about how gun laws are too lax and the guy should never have been able to legally purchase a rapid fire handgun or the 33 round magazines he used. The thing is, I thought those magazines WERE illegal. Are they? If so, anti-gun people are being retards AGAIN.

On a related not, I understand the shooter was mentally ill. Is there a practical way we could prevent people like him from purchasing firearms legally without encroaching on gun rights? Basic common sense dictates that mentally ill people should NOT have firearms. However, I know there are already safeguards in place to keep them from getting them. Could they be improved, or would any improvements encroach on sane people's ability to obtain firearms? I am NOT advocating keeping or changing the current laws regarding gun aquisition and the mentally ill. I am asking an honest question.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:31 pm
The capacity of a magazine for sale in Arizona hasn't been regulated by law so far.

And no one seems to be rushing the issue to the legislators, at least publicly. Even if they tried, it is doubtful it would pass, given the pro gun voter majority in the state.

In fact, I rather doubt any effort to regulate high cap magazines will gain traction. They would just be contested in courts for years and eventually tossed out on the heals of the Supreme Court ruling on the 2nd Amendment.

At first, I had fears about this situation, but the shock wore off quickly.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:37 pm
Nah, I've got a half-dozen of the exact same mags. It kills me that nobody realizes how many lives those super-long, unwieldy magazines saved that day.
CNN
"He pulled the magazine out of his pants pocket and it dropped onto the sidewalk. And before he could reach it, I got it," Maisch told CNN. "I just reacted. I didn't have an opportunity to think."

[sauce]  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:50 pm
Fresnel
Nah, I've got a half-dozen of the exact same mags. It kills me that nobody realizes how many lives those super-long, unwieldy magazines saved that day.
CNN
"He pulled the magazine out of his pants pocket and it dropped onto the sidewalk. And before he could reach it, I got it," Maisch told CNN. "I just reacted. I didn't have an opportunity to think."

[sauce]
This should be more widely known.  

Private Sanders

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:57 pm
Jackie Flores
Fresnel
CNN

[sauce]
This should be more widely known.
Of course it should. Will it? Probably not.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:03 pm
like I said in another thread.

banning big magazines just means mass murderers will be using lots of little magazines.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:15 pm
I'm fairly certain there ain't a goddamn thing that's actually illegal in Arizona, gun-wis.

Rapid fire handgun? Yeah, semi-automatic fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:23 pm
Oh hey, I totally missed the second part of the OP. Yeah, he was mentally ill, and there are safeguards to prevent this sort of thing from happening. It prevented Cho from shooting up VTech AND Loughner from shooting up Tuscon. No loopholes in it whatsoever, nope nope nope!  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:25 pm
Really, I'm kinda pissed at the idiot gun shop owner who sold his the gun and mags to the shooter in the first place. I've seen the shooter's mugshot. If some guy walked into my shop looking like that, I'd lock down and call the cops.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 pm
AINGELPROJECT667
Really, I'm kinda pissed at the idiot gun shop owner who sold his the gun and mags to the shooter in the first place. I've seen the shooter's mugshot. If some guy walked into my shop looking like that, I'd lock down and call the cops.
I've heard his mugshot was shopped to make him look crazier which is possible.

Besides if I were going to pull a stunt like that I would act perfectly normal while buying supplies.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:17 pm
AINGELPROJECT667
User Image

I'd sell a gun to him.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:24 am
I know weirder-looking people that have five times his sanity level. You start picking out people not to sell to just for not looking "proper" and you start going out of business. Unless this a*****e gave off red flags during the buying process, it was not the responsibility of the seller to give him a complete psychiatric evaluation.  

ArmasTermin

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:03 pm
ArmasTermin
I know weirder-looking people that have five times his sanity level. You start picking out people not to sell to just for not looking "proper" and you start going out of business. Unless this a*****e gave off red flags during the buying process, it was not the responsibility of the seller to give him a complete psychiatric evaluation.

You have a point, although I wonder If the guy he bought it from decided to watch his customers more closely after this incident.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:10 pm
Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667
User Image

I'd sell a gun to him.

Hmmm....
I was thinking more of this picture.
http://www.thirdage.com/files/imagecache/350x350/files/JaredLoughner.jpg
But I guess that at first glance, escecially with the hat and glasses, you'd think he's just another citizen...  

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:55 pm
AINGELPROJECT667
Fresnel
AINGELPROJECT667
User Image

I'd sell a gun to him.

Hmmm....
I was thinking more of this picture.
http://www.thirdage.com/files/imagecache/350x350/files/JaredLoughner.jpg
But I guess that at first glance, escecially with the hat and glasses, you'd think he's just another citizen...
They always try to make you look like a whacko for the mug shot. It's the easiest way to bias the jury pool from day one. Also, I don't think he shaved his head until the day of the shooting. I think I read that somewhere.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games