Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Horned God

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

XxCrack_OrangexX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:02 pm
I tried to do some research on where the Horned God first originated from, but all I could find was a debunked claim made by Margaret Murray. Does anybody know the Horned God's origin?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:41 pm
I think it all depends...because (and I'm probably wrong) I'm almost certain there are a few gods known as the Horned God. I think what you're talking about is the "general one" from European witchcraft? I think that's usually looked on as the origin of the God Kernunos/Cernunos/w.e....I think I looked it up once and that's where I got, but it's been a while so....don't take my word as set in stone....  

Viz_22

Beloved Prophet

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:44 pm
Cernunnos was a Gaulish (Gallic?) god. So, not the god of Wicca, because Gardner refers to the god of Wicca as "the Lord of the Isles" and Cernunnos is Continental. However, I think he (and others) sometimes use the name as a placeholder for the name of their god in publications.

It sort of depends on who precisely you're referring to by "the Horned God". Is it the god of Wicca, or another deity? I'm not sure they're all the same... I worship a Horned God who I'm pretty sure (although not certain) is not the god of Wicca. I know a lot of people who worship a Horned God are soft polytheists, so I'm not sure to what degree that "counts".  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:53 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_God

Wikipedia is your best friend.

hope it has the information you're looking for.  

pompoennetje

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:42 am
Dianda Panda

It can be a good starting point- but for it to be useful you have to follow the citations and do some serious leg work. 3nodding

Sang- Some Alexandrians have used Cernunnos as a place holder, it's mentioned in one of my books.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 am
Esiris
Dianda Panda

It can be a good starting point- but for it to be useful you have to follow the citations and do some serious leg work. 3nodding

Sang- Some Alexandrians have used Cernunnos as a place holder, it's mentioned in one of my books.

Hm, I never looked up information about the horned god. He reminds me of Pan.  

pompoennetje

*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff