Welcome to Gaia! ::

Drawing a Day Guild! Improve Your Drawing!

Back to Guilds

Reply Drawing a Day Guild
Want to win 10k? Contest Idea Inside! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bassken Lake Monster
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:04 pm
Hey guys, I have an idea here for a challenge:

What if I set a date for folks to go into the Art Freebies Forum and open up a thread. Draw 10 Gaian avatars and I'll grant you 10k!

Of course I can only give away so much sweatdrop so I'm not sure if I should put a cap on how many can win, or only accept so many particpants and those who do not draw 10 avatars in so much time don't get the gold....

As far as "quality" of art, no stick figures. I know you guys can attempt more than that. ;3

Any ideas or feedback on this contest idea?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:07 am
That sounds interesting---it doubles as advertisement for the guild surprised  

zenoxy
Crew

Lunatic

Bassken Lake Monster
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 am
:O I didn't think about it that way.... yeah! Cool

What do you think about having a cap on participants? Should I only allow so many to participate or should I just leave it open for a certain amount of time, cuz I don't have a gajillion gold XD  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:32 pm
Definitely cap it.

And hell if other members of the guild who feel a bit more charitable can help contribute and make this an occasional thing----it'd be like we come back, people flock to us as models, they get art, someone gets gold (we artist might get tips as well ;D) AND loads of people are happy.

and I KNOW an artist or two will come along and get curious of this.

I don't know, maybe 10 the first time?

Perhaps hold a sort of elimination match to choose who gets to compete for it? That way you don't end up with stick figure drawings. BUT that is for later on if you get flocked with hundreds of artists wanting to compete. Unless this is meant as practice for artists who need it, then never mind elimination surprised  

zenoxy
Crew

Lunatic

Redilicious

Dapper Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:46 pm
id love to participate. i dont get much buisiness at the art shop im in anyways so it would be nice to do a drawing or two. but im super picky though so...

that reminds me, what if as another advertising thing we set up a Drawing a Day guild sponsered freebie shop where the artists are members from this guild? banner spam the first post and see who would like to join.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:15 am
I like it! I'll chip in 100k. heart Maybe some other prizes... we'll see.  

Kiyo_Michan
Captain

Sexy Cutie-Pie

34,550 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Get Dissed! 25
  • Olympian 200

Feuilles

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:51 am
Maybe it would be good to set a theme too.. emphasizing a certain technique. Like a figure in pencil with shading, creating form.. or creating form with watercolour. Could be b&w or colour. So it's not all over the place.. Easier to judge and compare each drawing.
people could experiment with different illustration styles this way

I like stick figures but depends how it's done xd Maybe even that is an idea ^^  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:53 am
Interest bulb lit up. I'm in. 10 avatars... wowza. Can I draw meself as part of the 10?  

Sumimachine

Distinct Vampire

6,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Bassken Lake Monster
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:42 am
Sweet, I like some of the ideas floating around in this thread.

@Zeno: As for elimination,yeah, we could do eliminations later on when the guild is more active, but for now I think first come first serve might work well.

@Red: You're allowed to pick which avatars you want to draw, just remember that you'll be on a time constraint.

@Kiyo: biggrin YAY! Yeah, once I get things all squared away we can make a list of the prizes

@Sumi: XD no, it's gotta be folks from the freebies forum.

@Feuilles: A theme would be awesome! Keeping that in mind....  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:00 am
Ok, so, looking at all the feedback I've put together a couple senarios

-- We make a thread here in the guild calling for 10 artists for the competition.
-- First 10 artists to say they'll participate get screened.
-- The 10 need to post one example of the level of completeness they are aiming in each drawing.
-- The 10 also post some sort of artsy goal. Ex.:" I would like to work on my linework! I need to work on speed! I need to work on form! I just need to draw a lot more!"
The example of work is needed so we can insure that the artist will try to maintain a certain level of completeness. The goal is there for the artist themselves to try and learn something new from all the drawing, and not just to get gold.

-- After everyone is screened and things are given the green light, this is where things branch off.

A) We make ONE thread and all the artists post and pick and do their work in that thread.

B) Each artist makes their own thread and works that way.

There's lots of pros and cons for both ideas. The single thread would be sort of like a hang out where we could make new friends and hold conversations along with doing art. It would be easier to keep track of everyone's progress in the competition.

With the single threads it would be fun to see 10 DaD threads floating around the forums. It might cause more of a stir. 3nodding plus if we all did our own individual thread we'd be able to personally set themes. But. it might be less encouraging since everyone is separated.

-- As for how long the "contest" will run? I think 10 days should do it. That'd be a drawing a day. 3nodding

OOOOR
we could take 7 artists over 7 days so it goes with the whole "Drawing a day" theme. 7 days in a week. 3nodding  

Bassken Lake Monster
Vice Captain

Kiyo_Michan
Captain

Sexy Cutie-Pie

34,550 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Get Dissed! 25
  • Olympian 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:25 pm
I'm on team one thread for this first outing. The more people posting and being active in it, the more it'll stay on that front page. How fast does the art freebies forum move? I've seen it go pretty fast sometimes, but that was a while back.

I love the picking the artists here as well, first come first served. Maybe we could do a little side contest open to people who weren't chosen that if they are the first to draw 10 good drawings they get a little prize.

I like 10, you could call it the 10x10x10 challenge.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:05 pm
i would love to participate, and one thread does sound good...like i said, bannerspam.

mi arts gonna suck, i just know it.

...easy chibi tiem.

Redilicious

Dapper Sex Symbol

Feuilles

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:49 pm
If my art supplies arrive by then, I'll join too.. The avatars are of our own choosing? I guess I should go wander around to find some to draw..  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:14 pm
@Feuilles You'll pick avatars of people who post and ask to be drawn in the thread once it's posted. I wouldn't suggest starting early. wink

@Red It's all about practice and improvement! Your art doesn't suck!  

Kiyo_Michan
Captain

Sexy Cutie-Pie

34,550 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Get Dissed! 25
  • Olympian 200

Sumimachine

Distinct Vampire

6,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:27 am
I would love to join, need to practice on my doodling... definitely have a lot to work on when it comes to this...  
Drawing a Day Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff