Welcome to Gaia! ::

Drawing a Day Guild! Improve Your Drawing!

Back to Guilds

Reply Drawing a Day Guild
ink stones and sticks

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Feuilles

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:34 am
Hey..

I was wondering if it would be alright to make this thread? And other threads about materials,

I'd like to know if anyone here has used ink stones and ink sticks. People often suggest them for calligraphy because you can control the viscosity of the ink. Rather than buying ink straight in liquid form...
I've been told lesser grade sticks can ruin a high quality ink stone.. And that good ink sticks can be wasted if ground on a low grade stone.. It hasn't been explained to me why this is so. Maybe someone here has some insight.

I'm still new to this. I recently ordered some nibs to draw with. I have student-grade ink for now. Hopefully they'll arrive next week.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:20 am
I'm no tquite sure where a thread like this goes, but popping up here first sure gets nice exposure (with current circumstances as is.)

Uhm wow. Ink stones? Ink sticks? Those sounds terribly messy----are they anyting like ink?

Like are they jsut clumps? Do they need water----am so curious. surprised

I'm sorry, I really have no insight on this----it sounds so new to me-----ink stones. Whoa.  

zenoxy
Crew

Lunatic

Feuilles

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:39 am
zenoxy
Uhm wow. Ink stones? Ink sticks? Those sounds terribly messy----are they anyting like ink?

Like are they jsut clumps? Do they need water----am so curious. surprised
Here's a picture

The stick is that rectangular black bar with the gold writing on it. It is pure ink or pigment. Concentrated.
The stone is the round object.

You grind the stick into the stone.. Depending how much water you mix in, you can make a thick ink or paste like in the picture or something more like the liquid kind you can easily buy at the store.
Actually I heard there is an ink called Higgins 'Eternal' and you can make it thicker just by leaving the cap off the bottle for a few hours. The Chinese ink I have is also thick. I like it better because it's so dark, but I don't like the smell.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:02 am
So that's what it's called---SUMI! Oh my gawd---I've been calling it Sumi or Sui boku ga all my life xD

I have a few things, but I honestly thought that more of like extra lead like in mechanical pencils.

Those are FANTASTIC. They go on so smoothly (with more water) and have a heavy presence with less water (is much darker) according to my experience with them.

Rarely I've used it for calligraphy since I don't know much about my Japanese NOR Chinese (Taiwan is like a subset of China or something) and I've only used it to line my paintings whenever I do a painting.

I'm not sure about the Higgins ink----trying that with any other ink might ruin it.  

zenoxy
Crew

Lunatic

Psychopompic Rabbits

5,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:28 am
I have never worked with ink stones and ink sticks before, I've worked with liquid ink before and its rather unruly, tends to run.
My sister uses actual feathers..but her art technique rather requires it to run a bit.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:03 am
I've never worked with them either sweatdrop

as for where this thread goes.
Right now, here or the chatterboxia is fine. Everything is kinda in a jumbled mess and I still have to write out rules about what goes where.  

Bassken Lake Monster
Vice Captain

Feuilles

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:09 pm
Roger 3nodding Thanks for the responses! Maybe we could talk about ink in general too..

Psychopompic Rabbits, do you have a sample of the unruliness of this ink you're using?

zenoxy
Those are FANTASTIC. They go on so smoothly (with more water) and have a heavy presence with less water (is much darker) according to my experience with them.

Rarely I've used it for calligraphy since I don't know much about my Japanese NOR Chinese (Taiwan is like a subset of China or something) and I've only used it to line my paintings whenever I do a painting.

I'm not sure about the Higgins ink----trying that with any other ink might ruin it.
Sumi yes whee I'm glad to hear you like them!
Do you remember the brand you were using?
Do you line your paintings with a brush?

Today I used a (liquid) ink called Chung Hwa. I bought it so many years ago. I'm not really happy with it. It's actually not that thick after all, and also not dark enough. It seems to be (95%) permanent, and dries almost as soon as I put it down on the paper.

I will have to order a new bottle ninja  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:22 am
Unfortunately, I've not used ink since highschool. That was..well..quit a few years ago. lol.
I can probably get my sister to send me a pic. of her work though, the last time I seen, she was still using ink in her work.  

Psychopompic Rabbits

5,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Team Jacob 100

Feuilles

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:56 pm
No problem 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:12 am
Feuilles
Sumi yes whee I'm glad to hear you like them!
Do you remember the brand you were using?
Do you line your paintings with a brush?

Today I used a (liquid) ink called Chung Hwa. I bought it so many years ago. I'm not really happy with it. It's actually not that thick after all, and also not dark enough. It seems to be (95%) permanent, and dries almost as soon as I put it down on the paper.

I will have to order a new bottle ninja

Of course! Beautiful stuff it it.

It's not really a brand it's more of a little vilalge-y townsy kind of set that they offer around. It's the solid block that takes make a long time to break off xD

and I do it so terribly---I might consider buying that nice liquid "Chung Hwa" from a little Asian store near the Marketplace 3nodding

Oooo---dries as soon as it's applied? Sounds like my kind of ink xD
I've always wanted a painters effect that had more permanence to it. How big is the bottle?

I've seen some ink ones in tiny plastic bottles, but I do not know of the brands----they might be the 2nd rate cheap ones though.

User Image  

zenoxy
Crew

Lunatic

Feuilles

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:42 pm
Thanks so much for taking a photo. It's a beautiful set! I like the little porcelain dishes xd So I'm guessing the ink stick doesn't make permanent ink then? I'm glad to hear that.
There's so much to choose from, maybe I'll just take a gamble and choose whatever. I'm just trying to find a very opaque black, maybe they can all make that. I could just use less water and grind more.

I did some samples using the Chung Hwa here.
http://i56.tinypic.com/1eb0d3.jpg
This is applied to a business card at 100%. The card on the right, the ink is on a dry brush. After I rinsed the brush, I made the sample on the left.. so you can see it is not evenly black, some parts are darker than the others. I also rubbed a damp kleenex over it once dry, so you can see how little it smudges.
The bottle I'm using is the same as the one here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TCXXm4X_OQ It's pretty big and will probably last a long time. I remember it was cheap to buy and may be 2nd rate or student grade as you said. Its ink is not as dark as I'd like it to be... It also has a somewhat strong smell. But I often see it used for Chinese calligraphy, there are many videos of it online  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:40 pm
Just want to add there is a set of inks here http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/845_1031
In the reviews they all say they dry quickly wink  

Feuilles

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

akanekun

Informer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:49 pm
I've heard that if you let a bottle of india ink sit without its lid a bit a lot of the water that makes it more transparent eventually evaporates - at some point between it turning into jelly there's a sweet spot where you'll get the blackest blacks you could ever want from an ink. It may apply to non permanent ink as well.

re: stones, I think those stones get better over time. My mom gave me her old one and that one produces really rich ink because so much has been ground on it over time. So I'm honestly not sure if there's a big difference between quality - I'll see if I can find my old sticks, plates and brushes and do some tests for you.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:49 pm
would be really great if you could do that akanekun!

i'll try the ink trick too. right now i'm using watercolours with my pens and it's working alright  

Feuilles

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Drawing a Day Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items