Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
I have a question about time or more specifically,

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FluffyPinkChaos

Seasonal Saint

31,200 Points
  • Amateur Snowfriend Architect 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:05 pm
the "Witching Hour." Is there really such a specified time like that? If so do wiccans call it that or something else?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 pm
It's 13pm.

It's just a figure of speech. Means "late at night".

What does it matter what Wiccans call it?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

FluffyPinkChaos

Seasonal Saint

31,200 Points
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:11 pm
I just want to be correct with my terms. I hate saying something and it turns out to be the wrong term for it. That's all.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:58 pm
Black Death Goddess
I just want to be correct with my terms. I hate saying something and it turns out to be the wrong term for it. That's all.

I think I get where Sang is going with this- but I have a question. What are you talking about that involves you explaining Wiccan rituals?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

FluffyPinkChaos

Seasonal Saint

31,200 Points
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:00 pm
Are you talking to me or Sanguina Cruenta? Because if it's me I just want to learn the correct terms so I do not offend anyone.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:10 pm
Black Death Goddess
Are you talking to me or Sanguina Cruenta? Because if it's me I just want to learn the correct terms so I do not offend anyone.

This is twofold, really. There are some terms that aren't really appropriate to use outside of Wicca because of what they mean and so on, like "athame". So in that sense, it's good to ask if a term is specific to Wicca to ensure you won't offend people too much.

On the other side of the coin, if what you're doing isn't Wicca, you don't need to use Wiccan terms to describe it. So it's not really important.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

FluffyPinkChaos

Seasonal Saint

31,200 Points
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:14 pm
Oh okay, thank you for answering that. It's just I want to learn more about Wicca and in order to do that I must ask questions. Some may make people a little angry or confused but I'm asking merely to learn and grow, not to be offensive. So I apologize if I've offended anybody.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:21 pm
Black Death Goddess
Oh okay, thank you for answering that. It's just I want to learn more about Wicca and in order to do that I must ask questions. Some may make people a little angry or confused but I'm asking merely to learn and grow, not to be offensive. So I apologize if I've offended anybody.

Nonsense, you haven't offended anybody. Ask away.

It was more that you phrased yourself in an interesting way, and it was difficult trying to decide how to respond.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

FluffyPinkChaos

Seasonal Saint

31,200 Points
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 pm
Oh thank goodness, um I do have other questions though, but I'm not sure how to word them, without causing confusion. Another of my questions is what dates of the year are important for wiccans? I mean I've looked on line and seen a few that have the same dates but others have like one or more different dates. So what are the important dates of the year?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:10 pm
Black Death Goddess
Oh thank goodness, um I do have other questions though, but I'm not sure how to word them, without causing confusion. Another of my questions is what dates of the year are important for wiccans? I mean I've looked on line and seen a few that have the same dates but others have like one or more different dates. So what are the important dates of the year?

Wiccans celebrate the eight sabbats that are common in generic Neo-Paganism, although what they mean within Wicca may differ from various ENPs. In practise the celebrations tend to be held as close as possible to the date but it will vary depending on when people can get to the meeting. There are traditional dates, for example February 2nd for Lammas/Imbolc (depending on which hemisphere you're in) but most people now I think go by the astronomically correct dates, which you can find here.

I'm not sure if you've been asked this before in this guild, so i apologise if you have - what is it about Wicca that interests you?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

FluffyPinkChaos

Seasonal Saint

31,200 Points
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:28 pm
Well what interests me about Wicca is that for many years I hear it's a non-judgmental, non-stuffy, more open religion. I mean I've read in papers, seen on tv and online many different articles and programs about Wicca, of course some things confuse me but others don't so, basically everything and anything. Does that answer your question, or should I try and explain a little better? Forgive me I'm such a, I THINK the correct term is "Neophyte" right? I'm still not sure what the term or terms are for one who is still learning about this.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:38 pm
Black Death Goddess
Well what interests me about Wicca is that for many years I hear it's a non-judgmental, non-stuffy, more open religion. I mean I've read in papers, seen on tv and online many different articles and programs about Wicca, of course some things confuse me but others don't so, basically everything and anything. Does that answer your question, or should I try and explain a little better? Forgive me I'm such a, I THINK the correct term is "Neophyte" right? I'm still not sure what the term or terms are for one who is still learning about this.

Well, Wicca is a pretty specific religion. It's very structured and set, and it's definitely more closed than open, because you need to be initiated to be a Wiccan, and those of us not initiated don't have access to the religion. The things you're talking about aren't really specific to Wicca; it may be that other Pagan religions might suit you better.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

FluffyPinkChaos

Seasonal Saint

31,200 Points
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:40 pm
Really? Well when I said no-jugmental, non-stuffy and open I meant it's not the only deity that exists is god and no other deity. I mean the church says that only god exists and not the devil, yet they preach about being good or the devil will get your soul. That's pretty hypocritical to me, whereas Wicca isn't like that, does that explain better?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:54 pm
Black Death Goddess
Really? Well when I said no-jugmental, non-stuffy and open I meant it's not the only deity that exists is god and no other deity. I mean the church says that only god exists and not the devil, yet they preach about being good or the devil will get your soul. That's pretty hypocritical to me, whereas Wicca isn't like that, does that explain better?

The devil is not a god... The church hasn't denied the existence of Satan that I am aware of.

I know you can worship gods outside of Wicca too, yes, but I mean a lot of Pagan religions are like that.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

FluffyPinkChaos

Seasonal Saint

31,200 Points
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:28 pm
Well I live in the south and they preach that, "There is only god and god only and anyone who believes in the devil and other false gods are wrong and destined for hell." That's what I had to put up with.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games