Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Elven Language? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

violentraine

IRL Bloodsucker

7,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:05 pm
My friend's parents sent me my friend Oliver's Book of Shadows. (He was raised Pagan with them, and they thought themselves to be of Elf Otherkin. I believed him, but most people did not. I don't know about your ideas.)

He sadly passed away, so his family told me he would have passed his knowledge to me.

Except that half of it is in "Elven" language.

I would like to learn more, how to write and understand the language.

I believe it is "High Elven". Any thoughts? O_o  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:15 pm
He's full of s**t, he was never an elf, they were never elves, and if they WERE elves I'd caution staying the hell away from them because elves are cats to our mice, i.e., they'd hurt us just to see what would happen.

NASTY ENTITIES.

My money's on him ripping off the script from Tolkien or taking it from phoenician or something. We'd need to see an example to be more clear.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:37 am
Sanguina Cruenta
He's full of s**t, he was never an elf, they were never elves, and if they WERE elves I'd caution staying the hell away from them because elves are cats to our mice, i.e., they'd hurt us just to see what would happen.

NASTY ENTITIES.

My money's on him ripping off the script from Tolkien or taking it from phoenician or something. We'd need to see an example to be more clear.

This.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:16 am
Pretty much.
Tolkin Alphabet information
More resources  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:09 pm
Some people like to write their Books of Shadows in code so no one but themselves understands it. Depending upon circumstances. I doubt it's "Elven".  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:58 am
the only elven I know is Tengwar, and I read and speak it pretty well, if you want send me a few words and I could try to translate it a bit, but theyre probably not the same language, and if they are I will try to send you a PDF of the lessons.
-Aairo
(some of those people above are kinda being douchebags, dont listen to them, I trust until proven otherwise)  

Gamma Akutabi1228

5,800 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Gamma Akutabi1228

5,800 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:01 pm
and if it is indeed a code, ive taken classes on breaking codes and I know people who can help too, I offer my assistance as a friend if indeed you would like it.

PM me and I will send you my email  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:09 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

NASTY ENTITIES.

Just to let you know
There are many Elves and Fairies that are not bad nor evil towards humans, most of those rumors were made by Christian monks in order to convert people and to scare away the little people.
Read the The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. There is some examples of this in there.
many people also believe that the little people were forced away by the discovery of Iron and other metals, because to the little people it is poison to them.
please do not speak ill of the dead nor doubt before you have seen proof. This gives you a horrible 'bully' tone and makes you seem like the kind of person to deny any beliefs besides what you believe, which is very bad.
learn from others, do not be gullible but learn and listen.  

Gamma Akutabi1228

5,800 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:02 pm
Gamma Akutabi1228

Just to let you know
There are many Elves and Fairies that are not bad nor evil towards humans, most of those rumors were made by Christian monks in order to convert people and to scare away the little people.
Read the The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. There is some examples of this in there.
many people also believe that the little people were forced away by the discovery of Iron and other metals, because to the little people it is poison to them.
please do not speak ill of the dead nor doubt before you have seen proof. This gives you a horrible 'bully' tone and makes you seem like the kind of person to deny any beliefs besides what you believe, which is very bad.

And being the kind of person to make a snap judgement of someone else based on a single post is so -much- better. My first impression of you is that you're condescending, self-important, and sort of fluffy. Was that the first impression you wanted to make?

F--ries are not nice. They're not twee little sparkly things, or some kind of cheerful otherling that's here to make us feel special or important. With few exceptions, f--ries have a general antipathy towards humankind that is clearly evident in lore. It's been stated many, many times in this guild, and will probably be stated again.

Also, not all small spirits, of nature or otherwise, qualify as 'f--ries'. The term is overused and overgeneralized. And if I were to blame anyone for creating stupidity around the subject, it'd be the Victorians who made them sweet and glittery and flowery and harmless - not some vague handwaving at Christian monks claiming they altered cultural folklores for their own purposes.

Personally, F--rie is a bad word in my house. I don't want their attention, so I don't speak their names. They aren't welcome in my home, or otherwise, and those who still feel the need to make themselves present get introduced to my cold iron, right smartly. They're nasty twisted little bastards, and they do not have my best interests at heart. We leave each other alone, and everyone's happier for it.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:04 pm
Gamma Akutabi1228
Just to let you know

Ummmm.... no. The stories about the Fae, and Elves, etc... come to us from their native peoples, and historical based fokelore tells us that in general these were nasty little buggers that you didn't want to mess with if at all possible. It is only in more recent history that they've been made out to be cute, love and rainbows beings.

Quote:

We expect people to use common sense and have critical thinking skills. Both of which (when used properly) would tell you that it is highly unlikely that said person was an elf. As someone who was in professional private practice as a Past-Life Regression Therapist for several years, I can tell you that in all my sessions - I have never encountered anyone who was anything other than human in a past life.

Now I'm willing (because I know that there are religions - Hinduism comes to mind - that believe otherwise), to accept that someone might have been an animal or other type of life form currently found on earth. However when it comes to being that live on a separate plane from us (Elves, Fae, etc...) I am very skeptical - because there is no reason they would have for being in a human body. These are (in many cases) immortal beings (or at least have life spans that far exceed a human life span), they have abilities that we can't even begin to know or understand - so why on Earth would they want to limit themselves by inhabiting a human body... they wouldn't.

Also, while we can learn things about ourselves from studying patterns within our past lives, the past is past. What we are in this life, is what we are. So I don't buy into the whole other-kin thing. I have a great affinity for dragons, doesn't mean I was one in a past life.

Quote:
(some of those people above are kinda being douchebags, dont listen to them, I trust until proven otherwise)

Brings to mind one of my favorite sayings...

"Being open-minded is one thing, but don't be so open-minded that your brains dribble out!"  

ncsweet
Crew

Gamma Akutabi1228

5,800 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:27 pm
ncsweet
Gamma Akutabi1228
Just to let you know

Ummmm.... no. The stories about the Fae, and Elves, etc... come to us from their native peoples, and historical based fokelore tells us that in general these were nasty little buggers that you didn't want to mess with if at all possible. It is only in more recent history that they've been made out to be cute, love and rainbows beings.

Quote:

We expect people to use common sense and have critical thinking skills. Both of which (when used properly) would tell you that it is highly unlikely that said person was an elf. As someone who was in professional private practice as a Past-Life Regression Therapist for several years, I can tell you that in all my sessions - I have never encountered anyone who was anything other than human in a past life.

Now I'm willing (because I know that there are religions - Hinduism comes to mind - that believe otherwise), to accept that someone might have been an animal or other type of life form currently found on earth. However when it comes to being that live on a separate plane from us (Elves, Fae, etc...) I am very skeptical - because there is no reason they would have for being in a human body. These are (in many cases) immortal beings (or at least have life spans that far exceed a human life span), they have abilities that we can't even begin to know or understand - so why on Earth would they want to limit themselves by inhabiting a human body... they wouldn't.

Also, while we can learn things about ourselves from studying patterns within our past lives, the past is past. What we are in this life, is what we are. So I don't buy into the whole other-kin thing. I have a great affinity for dragons, doesn't mean I was one in a past life.

Quote:

Brings to mind one of my favorite sayings...

"Being open-minded is one thing, but don't be so open-minded that your brains dribble out!"

The stories of the little people that have been written in most books are post the Christian era. in the pagan times the little people could be evil yes but generally were not, these stories were past down through generations in families and myth. It also goes to which little people you are talking about as well, for there are many in most celtic, germanic, and norse countries. no one ever said they were happy rainbow people, they are little people, tiny creatures just like us, with as much personality as us, they can be good or evil or neutral.
The reason why most didnt like us is because our race as humans is predominantly evil. That and you must look at it as a matter of survival, are they evil or are they scared like when spiders see us? Most spiders will run away but there are the few that will attack.
Honestly if I saw a giant I would either scream and run like most or I would attack if I thought I could stand a chance.

Common sense and critical thinking is different from a blunt attack. And they didn't say they were an elf, he said he was an otherkin which "Otherkin are a community of people who identify themselves as non-human in all but outward form, contending that they are creatures traditionally associated with myth or legend" , and if you have not met anyone that wasnt human in their past life then you havent met enough people. My sister is a professional and, although rare, she has met people who were other than humans in their past, she has been in this business for around ten years and has met two, but again this has nothing to do with past lives.

And as I said in my other post, listen but dont be gullible.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:43 pm
Morgandria
Gamma Akutabi1228

Just to let you know

And being the kind of person to make a snap judgement of someone else based on a single post is so -much- better. My first impression of you is that you're condescending, self-important, and sort of fluffy. Was that the first impression you wanted to make?

F--ries are not nice. They're not twee little sparkly things, or some kind of cheerful otherling that's here to make us feel special or important. With few exceptions, f--ries have a general antipathy towards humankind that is clearly evident in lore. It's been stated many, many times in this guild, and will probably be stated again.

Also, not all small spirits, of nature or otherwise, qualify as 'f--ries'. The term is overused and overgeneralized. And if I were to blame anyone for creating stupidity around the subject, it'd be the Victorians who made them sweet and glittery and flowery and harmless - not some vague handwaving at Christian monks claiming they altered cultural folklores for their own purposes.

Personally, F--rie is a bad word in my house. I don't want their attention, so I don't speak their names. They aren't welcome in my home, or otherwise, and those who still feel the need to make themselves present get introduced to my cold iron, right smartly. They're nasty twisted little bastards, and they do not have my best interests at heart. We leave each other alone, and everyone's happier for it.

What you have either read or have heard about is post christian era as I have said before, and they have just as many personality as humans themselves and as much diversity.

The legends that I have studied have come from the mouths of people who have been goddess worshipers since before they can remember and have either had experience with the little people or have had stories past down through their families which to me is more reliable than post christian legends. (and fairy is a bad word to them too from what I have heard, they dont like it)

I am in no way fluffy, first off I have no relation with the little people other than in LARP, nor do I really believe in them, my practice is serious. If I do have a relation with any little people then I will apologize in the future.
And I did not judge them, I told them the impression they gave off, just as you did, but in no way was that my view, I do not judge who I don't know, I also called them out on their cyber bullying for those who do not defend others are weak and cowards. I have no self importance, I couldn't care less, all I care about is knowledge and I have been studying such subjects for many years as well as I have family and other relations who are experts on the subject.

I do not tolerate bullying at all. This is not a space for trolls, this is not 4chan, this is a discussion and in my opinion if you cannot take what you dish out then do not serve.  

Gamma Akutabi1228

5,800 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:20 pm
Gamma Akutabi1228

The stories of the little people that have been written in most books are post the Christian era. in the pagan times the little people could be evil yes but generally were not, these stories were past down through generations in families and myth. It also goes to which little people you are talking about as well, for there are many in most celtic, germanic, and norse countries. no one ever said they were happy rainbow people, they are little people, tiny creatures just like us, with as much personality as us, they can be good or evil or neutral.
The reason why most didnt like us is because our race as humans is predominantly evil. That and you must look at it as a matter of survival, are they evil or are they scared like when spiders see us? Most spiders will run away but there are the few that will attack.
Honestly if I saw a giant I would either scream and run like most or I would attack if I thought I could stand a chance.

'F--ries' aren't historically tiny. They were in fact, held to be a similar size to most people, prior to the Victorian Era. So...yeah. Not so much there, with that one.

Gamma Akutabi1228

What you have either read or have heard about is post christian era as I have said before, and they have just as many personality as humans themselves and as much diversity.

The legends that I have studied have come from the mouths of people who have been goddess worshipers since before they can remember and have either had experience with the little people or have had stories past down through their families which to me is more reliable than post christian legends. (and fairy is a bad word to them too from what I have heard, they dont like it).

You're appealing to a history here that I don't think is factually accurate. I think, in fact, it has a lot in common with the history put forward by Margaret Murray and others of her era. The idea of the great Western European 'Goddess Culture' was debunked in Murray's lifetime. It hasn't stopped modern New-Age and pagan practicioners from using her, and Robert Graves' disproved ideas for the basis of their paths.

I guess that's fine...but it's not factually accurate, and it's never going to be. Modern 'goddess worship' is based on debunked anthropological scholarship, is not ancient, and should't be taken as gospel truth or a accurate, factual source.

Gamma Akutabi1228

I do not tolerate bullying at all. This is not a space for trolls, this is not 4chan, this is a discussion and in my opinion if you cannot take what you dish out then do not serve.

No-one is bullying here. People are welcome to their opinions - and free to state them strongly, should they desire. I'm sorry if you percieve that as bullying - but really, it's not.

This is not a source for willful ignorance. We don't let people stick their fingers in their ears and ignore facts. If you make a claim, you back it up with sources. So far you haven't offered anything for yours, other than something about the Canturbury Tales, friends' families UPG about f--ries, and some hand-wavy 'back in ye olde pagan times'.

You're also new here. You don't get to call the shots for the guild's tolerance levels for its' membership, and you don't get to decide for the guild who is and isn't trolling. You're rubbing people very much the wrong way, even though you've just arrived.

All you've served up is a constant stream of criticism for the regular members of the guild. Why exactly should we welcome you to our midst?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm
Morgandria
Gamma Akutabi1228

'F--ries' aren't historically tiny. They were in fact, held to be a similar size to most people, prior to the Victorian Era. So...yeah. Not so much there, with that one.

Gamma Akutabi1228

The legends that I have studied have come from the mouths of people who have been goddess worshipers since before they can remember and have either had experience with the little people or have had stories past down through their families which to me is more reliable than post christian legends. (and fairy is a bad word to them too from what I have heard, they dont like it).

You're appealing to a history here that I don't think is factually accurate. I think, in fact, it has a lot in common with the history put forward by Margaret Murray and others of her era. The idea of the great Western European 'Goddess Culture' was debunked in Murray's lifetime. It hasn't stopped modern New-Age and pagan practicioners from using her, and Robert Graves' disproved ideas for the basis of their paths.

I guess that's fine...but it's not factually accurate, and it's never going to be. Modern 'goddess worship' is based on debunked anthropological scholarship, is not ancient, and should't be taken as gospel truth or a accurate, factual source.

Gamma Akutabi1228

No-one is bullying here. People are welcome to their opinions - and free to state them strongly, should they desire. I'm sorry if you percieve that as bullying - but really, it's not.

This is not a source for willful ignorance. We don't let people stick their fingers in their ears and ignore facts. If you make a claim, you back it up with sources. So far you haven't offered anything for yours, other than something about the Canturbury Tales, friends' families UPG about f--ries, and some hand-wavy 'back in ye olde pagan times'.

You're also new here. You don't get to call the shots for the guild's tolerance levels for its' membership, and you don't get to decide for the guild who is and isn't trolling. You're rubbing people very much the wrong way, even though you've just arrived.

All you've served up is a constant stream of criticism for the regular members of the guild. Why exactly should we welcome you to our midst?

If someone is clearly bullying some one then Im not going to stand by and do nothing, there is a difference in opinion and blunt attacks, and i loose all respect for people if they speak ill of the dead, forgive me if that is not a tolerable quality of mine.
When i say goddess worshiper I mean polytheistic, they are not druid nor witches nor reconstructionists they are just a family, i dont know what else to call them, people who worship brigit and those of irish celtic mostly.

Again, their size and behavior depicts on where your little people are coming from. Historically there is no evidence of fairies except from what is written post christian. I would not say these things if I didnt have more than one source telling me these things. I am not that kind of person.
I am not stating these things as fact, I am stating them as researched. In no way was I posing an argument.

And how is "He's full of s**t, he was never an elf" not cyber bullying? It is clearly an attack on someone, someone's beliefs, someone who Kisax127 said was dead. Is that not an attack? Is that not something to be offended by? "My money's on him ripping off the script from Tolkien or taking it from phoenician or something" Is this not disrespectful of the dead?
I do not criticize anyone, and if you allow opinions then why taunt me? Is it not opinion nor theory that I have stated?
I gave my opinion, is that not ok? I gave theories based on research, is that not ok either? I admit the things I say can seem like I am starting something but I never intend such things.
To me it seems like an example of "loosing common ground"  

Gamma Akutabi1228

5,800 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Gamma Akutabi1228

5,800 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:42 pm
also I may be new here but I am not new to the internet nor am i new to bullying and if you promote such trollish behavior then there is no way i would want to be apart of your guild. If you have no tolerance for people defending other people,nor stating theroies that are seperate from your ownthen ban me, I dont care.
Places like this are supposed to be about people sharing beliefs, there is no right or wrong ones, or so I thought.

BTW there can be no fact nor fiction on the little people, since there is no proof, they are currently myths until proven otherwise. Why should I ignore the stories told to me when you also so willingly flaunt yours? am I not allowed my say?  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games