Reply Loving Kindness: A Buddhism Guild
Y'all might want to check this out.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MrBambiHam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:32 am
I cam across this show why researching Penn and Teller and they had a couple episodes that kinda edged around Buddhism and spiritual leaders.

CAUTION: Strong Language

Now I'm not sure if Feng Shui is just an Asian culture thing or if it actually went with Buddhism but here you go.

And this one talking about spiritual leaders and some unknown stuff about them.
Care to comment on them, please do! I'd love to hear what you think.

(If videos don't work here are the links.)

First Video
Second Video  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:18 pm
Feng Shui has more to do with Taoism than Buddhism...but I'm still watching.

Edit now that I've watched.

First: Anyone that claims Feng Shui is a science and not spiritual is blowing smoke or just completely misunderstood Feng Shui in the first place. As Alan Watts says of the I Ching, the principal book of divination that lead to Feng Shui:

"Every exponent of the I Ching knows this. He knows that the book itself does not contain an exact science, but rather a useful tool which will work for him if he has a good 'intuition,' or if, as he would say, he is 'in the Tao.'"

The moment they said 'science' it became pretty clear that the people they hired on were marketing feng shui to make it more palatable to the western mind which operates on a rational basis. A westerner needs a rational explanation as to why they should fork over hard-earned cash to have their furniture re-arranged. So how do you market Feng Shui? By claiming its science.

It's not, it never was, it's as Penn and Teller accuse those people of in these cases, a money-making scheme.

As for the second video, can you say you're surprised? The best reference I can think of is the "Jaynestown" episode of the television series Firefly. The quote was something along the lines of "I imagine everyone that gets called a hero was some sort of son of a b***h or another. It's not about you, it's about what they need." In other words people have a tendency to ignore the actual person and elevate certain qualities in a person. Maybe it's something along the lines of we need to believe there's 'holier than thou' people that exist out there, that there's someone to look up to and emulate as an example.

But my question is why exactly did you post them? Are you trying to say Buddhism is bullshit and make waves in the Buddhist community?  

Lateralus es Helica

6,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100

MrBambiHam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:54 pm
Lateralus es Helica
Feng Shui has more to do with Taoism than Buddhism...but I'm still watching.
Alright. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:14 pm
Lateralus es Helica
But my question is why exactly did you post them? Are you trying to say Buddhism is bullshit and make waves in the Buddhist community?
No, not at all. I just heard that they mentioned the Dalai Lama in the second one. The first one, idk.  

MrBambiHam

Loving Kindness: A Buddhism Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff