Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xx_Hanyuu-San_xX

2,550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Informer 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 pm
So I'm thinking about getting a Job this summer, or if my stomach stops acting up before this school year ends a Job this spring.

What should I look for, and how should I present myself? etc,

I tried asking around people I figured would know irl that I've trusted and been around for a couple years (Teachers) and got invalid "Facts" or information I already knew such as work hours that are allowed for my age group, and workers permit cards etc, etc, rolleyes

Mature discussion, please.
I can't make you keep it mature, but it would be appreciated, as this is a Serious question. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:59 pm
Show off as much cleavage as possible.
Dress as normally boring as possible for most jobs, unless you're going to work in a club. Dress clothes are the best bet, and you don't need to wear a full suit most of the time. Depends on if you're wanting to work in an office or in the usual commercial services. Also depends on how high end the place is. Working in the Make-Up counter at Macy's or working the floor at Nordstroms means you will need to dress up a lot. Daily at that.

Everyone's nervous about interviews and even the interviewer is nervous at times as well. Eat a good breakfast before going to any. Low blood sugar and stuff can make you feel even worse than normal.

Not always applicable, but if you can turn it into more of a conversation then they'll probably feel more comfortable with you as the interview progresses.

Never complain about work, past employment, or school. If so, turn it around into a positive. "My chemistry teacher really piled on the work last semester, but I learned sooo much about chemistry that it really changed my outlook on life", or something like that.

No harsh language.
No t-shirt and jeans. (Unless you're working in construction.)

Whatever you do, don't eat anything messy between interviews. My dad had a fun story about spilling a ton of grease all over his pants before an interview. That probably wasn't fun. xp

Edit: Completely forgot job suggestions!

Government work is usually available. There may be elections this summer, so at the least you could do campaign work calling people or work at the ballots. That's usually volunteer work for free, but if you want a future job employers love volunteer and past experience.

If you have a large enough wardrobe to dress very nicely almost daily and you can easily strike up conversation with strangers, then retail's a possible choice. The nicer you can dress, the higher end the store you can apply for.

I can't think of too many 'great' jobs though. There's always Wal*Mart, unfortunately. :

If you can do community work like volunteering at a homeless shelter or something, then employers like that too. Colleges too, if you want to get in to nice one....Sorta...Well... It's complicated. I could explain it, but basically the system does lie a lot in what colleges are looking for. sad  

Garek Maxwell

Xx_Hanyuu-San_xX

2,550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Informer 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:07 pm
Thanks much Garek, lol construction I can't do anything like that yet, I'm 16 (going on 17) not 18.

But thanks anyway for that information as well.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:49 pm
pretty much all you need to do is show what you can offer them. I remember when i was getting a summer job when i was 15 to be a CIT. Any sort of award that i got, or something similar, that would make me look just that much better then the other guy, i put it on my resume. I know it sounds shallow but it's how people beat out others. Also, if you get called in for an interview, dress nicely. I know this has probably been said to you by everyone and their mother but this can in fact make or break whether or not you get a job. The first impression is always the strongest. I personally stay away from asking about pay.

i had an interview a year ago...but i can't remember much other then the obvious (points up above)

Ya, pretty much garek has covered all the points i can thing of....-shrugs- good luck  

Deaths kitsune

8,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
Adult Furries Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items