Welcome to Gaia! ::

Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Back to Guilds

"Helping" Final Fantasy fans with their addictions since 2004. 

Tags: Final Fantasy, RPGs, Square Enix 

Reply Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild
You disappoint me, Squaresoft...bad FF experience? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hilidia_sama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:13 pm
Ravenwolf
Mmm, yeah, that's true. But I don't dislike Vaan as a person; I dislike him as a main character. Certain personality types make for more interesting characters than others, simple as that. I mean, I'd be a terrible main character for anything, and I know that. And on the other hand, there's lots of characters I love whose personalities I wouldn't be able to stand if I ever met them in real life. It's all a matter of context.
That is certainly debatable. But I know alot of anime where as the main character hardly has any personality but is still very well made as a character.

Vaan's character is suitable because he's the type to have flaws. He's to me is one of the most realistic ff characters.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:34 pm
Hilidia_sama
Ravenwolf
Mmm, yeah, that's true. But I don't dislike Vaan as a person; I dislike him as a main character. Certain personality types make for more interesting characters than others, simple as that. I mean, I'd be a terrible main character for anything, and I know that. And on the other hand, there's lots of characters I love whose personalities I wouldn't be able to stand if I ever met them in real life. It's all a matter of context.
That is certainly debatable. But I know alot of anime where as the main character hardly has any personality but is still very well made as a character.

Vaan's character is suitable because he's the type to have flaws. He's to me is one of the most realistic ff characters.

I guess in that case it's a matter of opinion. See, I just don't really care for "realistic" characters in that sense. Obviously you want characters with complex emotions and motivations and such, but common personality traits, I think, make for poor storytelling. Stories advance in the most interesting ways with characters that are braver, cleverer, or more athletic than real people, for example.

This isn't a science or anything, of course, though. sweatdrop Different situations call for different characters. I just think Vaan is an example of the tendency toward this rule.

And again, I suppose this is a matter of opinion to an extent; that's why people like different games and such better anyway. This is just how I see it.  

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

Hilidia_sama

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:58 am
Ravenwolf
Hilidia_sama
Ravenwolf

I guess in that case it's a matter of opinion. See, I just don't really care for "realistic" characters in that sense. Obviously you want characters with complex emotions and motivations and such, but common personality traits, I think, make for poor storytelling. Stories advance in the most interesting ways with characters that are braver, cleverer, or more athletic than real people, for example.

This isn't a science or anything, of course, though. sweatdrop Different situations call for different characters. I just think Vaan is an example of the tendency toward this rule.

And again, I suppose this is a matter of opinion to an extent; that's why people like different games and such better anyway. This is just how I see it.
It is based on opinions, I agree.

Well to me, what makes a good story is if the character can connect to the audience/player. Having such an ideal character gets boring, to me. For example, Sebastain from Black butler, he's perfect in everything and has no flaws.
Flaws in main characters are crucial to me and how they progress and change, is what makes a character likable.

It is an opinion, the way I see how the story infused with characters is different from yours.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:04 pm
Hilidia_sama
It is based on opinions, I agree.

Well to me, what makes a good story is if the character can connect to the audience/player. Having such an ideal character gets boring, to me. For example, Sebastain from Black butler, he's perfect in everything and has no flaws.
Flaws in main characters are crucial to me and how they progress and change, is what makes a character likable.

It is an opinion, the way I see how the story infused with characters is different from yours.

WELL, COMING BACK TO THE SUBJECT NOW. I didn't want to continue because we seemed to agree to disagree, but I've really just gotta say this. sweatdrop

I think a character can be vivid and unusual without being "ideal." I guess all the adjectives I listed could be taken that way, but... well, take Kuja as a character. He's selfish, narcissistic, melodramatic, childish, and has one of the worst inferiority complexes I've ever seen; and I love him for it. But he's so interesting partly because he's all those things in ridiculous quantity, partly because those things make for an interesting combination, partly because his personality is so woven into the story, and partly, I'm sure, for other reasons I haven't quite discerned as well.

I swear I'm done now. I should just write a dissertation on this instead of tiptoeing around what might be considered "argumentative." x_x  

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

Cynoscion

Soldier

18,100 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Champion 300
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:49 pm
Personally I won't buy any Final Fantasy games other than I-X and Tactics. The other games just aren't the same, or as entertaining for me. FFXII broke my heart the moment I realized the Square had used Tactics for the game and truly offended me. Then the gameplay, or lack thereof is so controversial to me that I can only say that I did not like the game, nor could I complete it.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:10 pm
I love the Final Fantasy series starting with Final Fantasy 7 (because it was my first Final Fantasy I ever played), but ever since they made twelve I started to stop liking Final Fantasy. Then when Final Fantasy XIII came out it just killed it. I still do keep trying to get through that game. The farthest I got was at Vanille's Eidolon. There are a few good things about Final Fantasy XIII, but for me the cons weigh out the pros, in my opinion. I still like Final Fantasy, but not as much as I used to. Final Fantasy 7 will always hold a candle in my heart. Final Fantasy 4-6, 8-10, and yes even X-2, and Final Fantasy Tactics I will always hold dear to my heart as I have greatly enjoyed playing them. But, after playing Final Fantasy XII...and then the dreaded XIII, it just killed any future hope of picking up or liking any future Final Fantasy titles.

I wonder if anyone else feels the same?  

Kaireyven

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:43 pm
Kaireyven
I love the Final Fantasy series starting with Final Fantasy 7 (because it was my first Final Fantasy I ever played), but ever since they made twelve I started to stop liking Final Fantasy. Then when Final Fantasy XIII came out it just killed it. I still do keep trying to get through that game. The farthest I got was at Vanille's Eidolon. There are a few good things about Final Fantasy XIII, but for me the cons weigh out the pros, in my opinion. I still like Final Fantasy, but not as much as I used to. Final Fantasy 7 will always hold a candle in my heart. Final Fantasy 4-6, 8-10, and yes even X-2, and Final Fantasy Tactics I will always hold dear to my heart as I have greatly enjoyed playing them. But, after playing Final Fantasy XII...and then the dreaded XIII, it just killed any future hope of picking up or liking any future Final Fantasy titles.

I wonder if anyone else feels the same?

Hmm, I do agree that the newest games aren't quite as good as some of the older ones... but I'm definitely not giving up on the series! I did like XIII (better than XII, actually), and there are still other Final Fantasy-related games, like Dissidia, which is amazing. Plus, I really can't help but feel in my heart that Versus XIII is going to be incredible, if they actually manage to release it in the next five years or so.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:29 pm
Quote:
Hmm, I do agree that the newest games aren't quite as good as some of the older ones... but I'm definitely not giving up on the series! I did like XIII (better than XII, actually), and there are still other Final Fantasy-related games, like Dissidia, which is amazing. Plus, I really can't help but feel in my heart that Versus XIII is going to be incredible, if they actually manage to release it in the next five years or so.

I did like Dissidia and it's not like it's not a great game and the concept is good, but when I do get to play I wait way too long between each plays and I forget how to play. Then I wind up not liking the game, but that is due to gamer error and is my fault. Versus XIII looks interesting, although some plot points I am iffy about. Although, everyone thought when Kingdom Hearts used to be a concept that it was the most ridiculous thing on the planet, and now two sequels, two inbetween game plot tie ins, a pre-quel, and a few spin-offs later...lolz! So, I don't want to judge Versus XIII just yet. As for my faith in the series, if they do manage to do better in the future it could restore it.  

Kaireyven

hifiaudiocafe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:10 pm
I didn't like Dirge. It just wasn't good to me... it's one of those games I played through but remember absolutely 0% of the actual story :/ it's a shame too because I really like Vincent, but the game was just no  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 am
I loved all the FF games, even the Crystal Chronicles ones. The only game I just cannot stand and I will never like it: FF XIII. I just don't know, I reaaaally tried to like it. I even tried to look at it as if it was not a FF but another series. But I just can't get myself to like it. I hate Lightning, I don't like the story, ... the only thing I like are the graphics.  

ILOVEMAV

Invisible Informer

8,800 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers