Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Daffodil Movement

Back to Guilds

Guild for the Daffodil Movement, a cancer awareness movement here on Gaia. 

Tags: cancer, awareness, daffodils, daffodil, movement 

Reply Chat Forum [random chat and blah blah]
Donate blood! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

darth acheron

Revered Guardian

26,650 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:26 pm
So do any of you donate blood when you have the chance? I try to donate when I can. There is a blood drive wedensday and I'm planning on giving before I go to work. Only 38% of Americans are able to give blood. but only 8% do. Would you give blood if you had the chance to? Why or why not? I'm a tad bit terrified of needles, but I plan on giving anyway. I have no idea why I am, but then again phobias are never rational.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:13 pm
I wish I could.

I'm not allowed to donate blood because I was in Germany for 6 months or more during the 80's. Meaning... they think there's a chance I might have mad cow and I'm not allowed to donate.  

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Arashi Erina

Ruthless Hunter

17,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:47 pm
Where is my friend when I need you most?
Gone away......

I finally can again. I gave twice, end of Junior year and beginning of Senior. But then, I got a tattoo, so I had to wait a year before I could donate again.

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world....
Somehow I have to find....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:34 pm
Rannchan
I wish I could.

I'm not allowed to donate blood because I was in Germany for 6 months or more during the 80's. Meaning... they think there's a chance I might have mad cow and I'm not allowed to donate.
Wow that would suck. They could test for it couldn't they? @Erina: Ahh. So you have to wait to give?  

darth acheron

Revered Guardian

26,650 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

Blaizekit
Captain

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:04 pm
I've given twice, both times when I was in high school. My French teacher was really influential in my life and all, and she was the head of the Athenas at my school. They always did a blood drive and other community things. I remember they always did Relay for Life too... I was always too shy to join the Athenas but at any rate, I did try to give blood each time. I've given twice and been rejected twice.

I admit I haven't tried in awhile, though. The last time I gave, something went horribly wrong and I got stabbed in a nerve. The nurse thought I was just doing a normal freakout like some of the other high school kids, but I knew something was wrong because I'd done it before and it hadn't hurt anything like that... anyway, the most horrible part was that I wanted her to take it out, but she wouldn't, I had to finish filling up the pint first. And it was going so slow because my vein wasn't properly tapped.

Then a couple of months ago I got E Coli from some ground beef and had to get a ton of blood tests done before I knew what was wrong, and that pretty much completed turning me off to stabbyness. It always had to be tried multiple times because I was so tense with the memory of the nervestab incident.

.... Why did I go into such a long anecdote? xD sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:28 pm
Ciaphus_Cain
Rannchan
I wish I could.

Wow that would suck. They could test for it couldn't they? @Erina: Ahh. So you have to wait to give?

Nope. They don't have effective tests for humans and it doesn't show any signs until old age. They ban us because they don't know. Better Safe than Sorry is their motto.  

Rannchan

Aged Millionaire

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Arashi Erina

Ruthless Hunter

17,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:40 am
Where is my friend when I need you most?
Gone away......

@Blaize:...now I'm getting scared XD

@Cain: I dun have to wait anymore, but I dun know when they are.

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world....
Somehow I have to find....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 am
Wow that would suck. I've had them go through a vein before but never hit a nerve. Hmm I didn't know it showed up in old age. Isee why they are hesitant. The Red Cross site has aplace to enter your zip to look for drives near you.  

darth acheron

Revered Guardian

26,650 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

Meia15

Codebreaking Genius

8,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:53 am
I donated in November and then just again in March. C: I always donate when they come to my school, and then I'll go wherever I can go after I'm done school.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:47 pm
I've donated twice. Once in November (2010) and one in April (2011). My school did a Red Cross blood drive. First time was just blood, and second time was the blood and plasma. They pretty much took out the blood, separated the plasma from it, put it back in, and did it again. Felt soooooo weird. eek  

Skittles and MMs

Blaizekit
Captain

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:49 pm
That does sound weird. eek  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:25 pm
Skittles and MMs
I've donated twice. Once in November (2010) and one in April (2011). My school did a Red Cross blood drive. First time was just blood, and second time was the blood and plasma. They pretty much took out the blood, separated the plasma from it, put it back in, and did it again. Felt soooooo weird. eek
lol yea, I think I'd have to pass on that xD  

darth acheron

Revered Guardian

26,650 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

Skittles and MMs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:33 pm
Ciaphus_Cain
Skittles and MMs
lol yea, I think I'd have to pass on that xD

Haha. It was pretty neat, though. The blood had been out of my body for a good 30 minutes (at least) so when it was injected back in, it was cooooold. I was shaking really badly and I could feel my lips going numb and tingly. xp  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:55 am
Too afraid of needles... I would but... When I was dehydrated, they tried to put dextrose on me... The nurse said it was hard because my veins are getting smaller and I was shaking madly... They just cover my eyes so I wouldn't see, but I could still feel the pain of it going through my veins... I try not to think about what was happening to me at that time but, I just couldn't stop shaking and feeling fear over needles... I know it's irrational and only on my mind, but... Give me anything but needles!!!  

Halwen Suri

Invisible Gaian

16,100 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500