Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Working with Dragons? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

doistu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:36 am
Hi all,
You might see this post in a few pagan guilds so forgive me for that. I'm just struggling to find resources.
Perhaps the lack it telling me to just wing it and learn on my own.

Anyways, I've become extremely interested in dragons, working with them and dragon magic. I've been pointed towards books by DJ Conway but, after reading reviews, I'm not too sure about parting with money for them.
Can anyone describe experiences or point me towards useful resources?

Thank you in advance,
doistu  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:47 am
Dragons traditionally are the things that eat people, so you'll probably find it hard in the lore to track down anything that doesn't involve someone killing one or whatever. What are you looking for? What paradigm are you working with here?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

doistu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:54 am
I'm interested in working with dragons as guardians and entities that could guide me as I learn more about my spiritual practice.
Sorry for sounding thick as two short planks but what do you mean by paradigm? Could you perhaps rephrase the question?

Thanks biggrin x  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:24 am
Basically context. What direction are you coming from to learn about dragons? What dragons do you want to learn about? You know? If you were to look into dragon lore, what cultures' myths and legends would you pick up? What is it, when you really get down to it, that you mean by "dragon"?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

doistu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:07 am
I see, thanks for rephrasing smile .

The direction I'm coming from - I've been a pagan for a long time now and, recently, my practice has waned. There was nothing to tie me to it. A few nights ago I had a dream about a dragon and I got the feeling that it was coaxing me into...something. I'm not sure. I want to follow it, to where it was leading I think.

I want to learn about any and all dragons. I've always enjoyed stories about them, from lots of countries and places, since I was very young. I feel like learning about all of them would do them justice, rather than just picking and choosing myself.

I think, initially, I would look into myths and legends from my own country. Start locally and gradually widen my search for foreign stories.

I feel (I maybe totally wrong) that a dragon, as thought of now, is a spiritual being. They don't necessarily exist as a physical being but as ancient and wise entities. I think that I could learn a lot about the past, how to handle myself now, and how I could conduct myself in the future.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:43 am
I have a roomie who is really into dragons- and the more I read about them the more it seems like what happened to Fairies happened to Dragons. That somewhere along the line people started trying to make dragons into some kind of "misunderstood" anti-hero.

I mean- when even the "good ones" cause women to miscarry, animals to fall over dead and fields to rot- you're fighting an uphill battle.

I think there's a real psychological need for people to "tame" the threatening parts of mythology- especially pagans who might have reactions to people already thinking they're practicing something evil in their religion. So fairies go from being creatures of dread that drown travelers and abduct children to cute little naked people with wings and dragons go from the kinds of beings that lay waste to whole lands to people's pet lizards.

And I think to a certain extent- that's fine. There's nothing wrong with dressing up some kind of thought form in an appealing appearance- but I think the problem comes in when someone wants to do that and ends up getting a hold of the real thing, no matter if it's a fairy, a demon, a dragon or a god- any of whom can be pissed off that someone isn't giving them the right respect.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

doistu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:12 am
You make a reasonable point. I wouldn't know about fairies, I've never really worked with them in any capacity.
But when it comes to exploring what I do not know I do so with eyes wide open.
I'm under no illusion that any mythical/magical creature it all cute and fluffy.
My fluffy ship sailed years ago in any case.

I'm also going to attempt not to dress up any dragons I might meet. I'd rather seem them for what they are. xx  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:07 am
Esiris

I think there's a real psychological need for people to "tame" the threatening parts of mythology- especially pagans who might have reactions to people already thinking they're practicing something evil in their religion. So fairies go from being creatures of dread that drown travelers and abduct children to cute little naked people with wings and dragons go from the kinds of beings that lay waste to whole lands to people's pet lizards.

And I think to a certain extent- that's fine. There's nothing wrong with dressing up some kind of thought form in an appealing appearance- but I think the problem comes in when someone wants to do that and ends up getting a hold of the real thing, no matter if it's a fairy, a demon, a dragon or a god- any of whom can be pissed off that someone isn't giving them the right respect.

I think this is pretty much spot-on. There's also the entitlement factor - people don't like to be told they can't have something. So they change things to their liking, to make them achievable, whether or not it's right, logical, effective, or even realistic.

I will say I have had encounters with entities that I, at least, percieve as dragons. They don't think or act like humans. For the most part, like f--ries, they want nothing to do with us, since the majority of us are small, slow, stupid, and astonishingly mundane. It's possible to interact with them, but not in the way many people would assume from fantasy novels - and they're certainly not just waiting at the edges of reality for magic users to call them into their service, as D.J Conway's atrociously awful book suggests.

If you go looking for dragons, go with spiritual allies. Try to be aware of boundaries and borders - territorial doesn't even begin to describe them. Do your best to maintain some distance between you and them, until you're invited closer. They may lull you into a sense of familiarity - try not to fall into it, before it's explicitly expressed. Don't go empty-handed - gifts are important. And be on your toes - there is always a chance, even if they seem open to your presence, that they'll be feeling you out mentally and magically. They will also expect you to do the same, if you aren't afraid to.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:12 am
Morgandria
Esiris

I think this is pretty much spot-on. There's also the entitlement factor - people don't like to be told they can't have something. So they change things to their liking, to make them achievable, whether or not it's right, logical, effective, or even realistic.

I will say I have had encounters with entities that I, at least, percieve as dragons. They don't think or act like humans. For the most part, like f--ries, they want nothing to do with us, since the majority of us are small, slow, stupid, and astonishingly mundane. It's possible to interact with them, but not in the way many people would assume from fantasy novels - and they're certainly not just waiting at the edges of reality for magic users to call them into their service, as D.J Conway's atrociously awful book suggests.

If you go looking for dragons, go with spiritual allies. Try to be aware of boundaries and borders - territorial doesn't even begin to describe them. Do your best to maintain some distance between you and them, until you're invited closer. They may lull you into a sense of familiarity - try not to fall into it, before it's explicitly expressed. Don't go empty-handed - gifts are important. And be on your toes - there is always a chance, even if they seem open to your presence, that they'll be feeling you out mentally and magically. They will also expect you to do the same, if you aren't afraid to.
So maybe like how someone would go about working with a god they feel called to?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:13 am
Morgandria

Thank you Morgandria. I was thinking along similar lines but, from what you've said, I've created a list of things I need to do before trying to meet dragons and how to proceed if I do.
I appreciate it!  

doistu

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:19 am
Esiris
So maybe like how someone would go about working with a god they feel called to?

Exactly. It's not that much different, except maybe in scale. I tend to approach entities, regardless of how 'big' or 'small' they are in the same manner for all of them, since in the end what you'll have is a personal relationship.

I should also say that the dragons i've encountered have all been through journeying, and wandering the Three Realms - if you want to find them, you really do have to look. Sort of like the Wica - they're there, but they don't really announce themselves. To some extent, the dragons themselves really do decide who finds them, and who doesn't.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:39 pm
I met a dragon once. He was actually in what I'd consider "my territory", so maybe that influenced proceedings, but really my experience is similar to Morg's. He was very very big. And he looked at me with... not so much disdain, but a sort of vague disinterest, like you might watch a bug making its way across a wall or a rat in a maze. We are small, weak, stupid and not very interesting.

That is the extent of my interactions with dragons, although I did get the impression that it was pretty typical.

Now, dragons are marvellous. But tigers are marvellous also and they do eat people.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

doistu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:47 am
You've given me a lot to think about.
Do I go in with extra protection? Do I tread carefully or stride confidently?
I know I need to be respectful and understand they have absolutely no obligation to answer me.
Thanks guys.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:10 am
I would be cautious, and very polite. I bowed, for what it's worth. Whether he interpreted that as a gesture of whatever I do not know. As they are "other", I personally would go in with what I know - lots of 'your grace' and 'I am most honoured' and so forth.

And I wouldn't interrupt them. I mean you are small and boring, and probably irritating*. Maybe try to imagine yourself as a very big thing with a short temper, and run mental simulations, or something.

*From their perspective, not mine. wink  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

doistu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:47 am
Sanguina Cruenta
I would be cautious, and very polite. I bowed, for what it's worth. Whether he interpreted that as a gesture of whatever I do not know. As they are "other", I personally would go in with what I know - lots of 'your grace' and 'I am most honoured' and so forth.

And I wouldn't interrupt them. I mean you are small and boring, and probably irritating*. Maybe try to imagine yourself as a very big thing with a short temper, and run mental simulations, or something.

*From their perspective, not mine. wink

rofl That's an awesome idea hehe. I agree, a lot of guestures to show how honoured I am. Gifts too? Offerings?
Thanks!  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games