Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Why was the revolving rifle never popular? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:19 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I've always wondered why these were never particularly popular. As far as I know, only a few models were ever made. There must be a specific reason it was never widely used, but it eludes me. Does anyone here have any idea?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:40 pm
The black powder ones had a tendency to explode into the shooter's forearm.  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:44 pm
Also, lever guns held more ammo. And black powder revolvers occasionally had a problem with sympathetic fire, where up to all six rounds would fire at once.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:22 am
Thanks. I lurked in some other forum topics about this, and read that revolving actions tend to throw out loose powder and hot gases, which isn't much of an issue with a pistol do to how it's held but, in a rifle, can fling stuff into the shooter's face and hands, which I imagine to be rather undesirable when in a gunfight.  

Private Sanders

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:24 pm
Private Sanders
Thanks. I lurked in some other forum topics about this, and read that revolving actions tend to throw out loose powder and hot gases, which isn't much of an issue with a pistol do to how it's held but, in a rifle, can fling stuff into the shooter's face and hands, which I imagine to be rather undesirable when in a gunfight.
Yeah, the correct way to hold a revolving rifle is pretty retarded, actually. You cup both hands around each other like it's a pistol, and hold it tight to your shoulder, chicken-winging your OTHER arm.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:13 pm
Had a very nasty tendency to chainfire into your forward arm. Lever-actions gave the same thing with a faster reload, and less explody. And even when everything went right, the gas bleed from the lack of a seal and black powder made it.... messy.  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:17 am
may have never been popular back then but recently it's catching ******** circuit judge, you can find those almost anywhere now.

I know mateba had made a few as well but are hard as hell to find.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:15 am
Recon_Ninja_985
may have never been popular back then but recently it's catching ******** circuit judge, you can find those almost anywhere now.

Circuit Judge fixed the cylinder issues, I think. The MTs-255 fixed it as well, and it might be neat to see a Nagant revolving rifle.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 am
I wish I could try a 20 gauge version of the MTs-255. That looks like a nice shotgun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MC255-1.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MC255-2.jpg  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:29 am
Floyd
I wish I could try a 20 gauge version of the MTs-255. That looks like a nice shotgun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MC255-1.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MC255-2.jpg
FIFTY THOUSAND ROUBLES. Actually, $1800 for a high-quality shotgun is reasonable enough. Unfortunately, it can never be legal as a hunting shotgun.

Also, I just remembered Knight made a silenced revolving rifle once...

User Image  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:15 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

Circuit Judge fixed the cylinder issues, I think. The MTs-255 fixed it as well, and it might be neat to see a Nagant revolving rifle.

I was thinking along the lines of escaping gasses as well. It's still as bad as shooting left hand since the shield appears to be on one side.

Also, if you want a pistol caliber, get a carbine of some sort. You will have more rounds in a simpler mechanism that is faster to reload. If you want a shotgun, in the case of the judge, get a .410 shotgun with some .410 slugs.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:18 am
Man of the Demoneye
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

I was thinking along the lines of escaping gasses as well. It's still as bad as shooting left hand since the shield appears to be on one side.

Also, if you want a pistol caliber, get a carbine of some sort. You will have more rounds in a simpler mechanism that is faster to reload. If you want a shotgun, in the case of the judge, get a .410 shotgun with some .410 slugs.
This is Russia we're talking about. Ten percent of the market share can suck their post-Soviet d**k. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:43 pm
I saw a second hand Circuit Judge at a local gun shop. Some idiot bought it chromed. Ew, that's the equivalent of a vinyl roof and whitewall tires. The previous owner included a black anodized scope mount as well. What was the point?

The blast shield on the lower left side of the cylinder barely looked up to the task of deflecting the gas. It must work, but I wouldn't be confident shooting one.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:57 am
Unless you are planning on blowing your own hand off that would be the number one reason why it wouldn't be so popular. It has an odd behavior to leave gunpowder residue that can later lead to a nice boom in the long run.

Otherwise I wouldn't hold that b*****d too close to your body but then again you won't have a choice due to its kickback.  

Bat Weasel

7,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Zion International

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:53 am
Like someone's has already said, the first revolving rifles were cap and ball and because of poor metallurgy from the times they exploded pretty epically. With that reputation, people steered away from them in favor of the Volcanic arms decendant repeating rifles of the Henry M1860 and the latter M1866 Winchester.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff