Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
who, exactly, is Baphomet?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:25 pm
i've read different things about him. some saying that he is a pagan deity and others claiming that he is a satanic persona. which is correct? i ask only for eduactional purposes. the more you know, right?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:17 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet
Seems to answer all the basic questions.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:39 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet
Seems to answer all the basic questions.

thanks. i wasn't sure how reliable it was seeing as it's wiki, lol.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:31 pm
Yeah, that's always a concern. But it seems to be trustworthy based on the info and the way it's presented, and it has a heap of sources. If you're curious you might want to read through the discussion page to see what's been on there in the past and why something was removed or added.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

The Stories Never Told

Beloved Prophet

5,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:11 am
I hope I'm not just adding in filler due to the link. Might as well add stuff.

Baphomet is an old Babylon deity, represented with a goat's head and an inverted pentacle on the forehead. He is usually used as a god of human indulgence.

In modern day, he is used as an representation for the deity of what satanists worship. Which is rather silly. Due to this oft ignored fact, people create so much bias against these practitioners.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:14 am
The Stories Never Told
Baphomet is an old Babylon deity,

I've never heard that before.... where did you read it?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 am
The Stories Never Told
I hope I'm not just adding in filler due to the link. Might as well add stuff.

Baphomet is an old Babylon deity, represented with a goat's head and an inverted pentacle on the forehead. He is usually used as a god of human indulgence.

In modern day, he is used as an representation for the deity of what satanists worship. Which is rather silly. Due to this oft ignored fact, people create so much bias against these practitioners.

do you have any references to support this? most of what i've read claims that his name and image is belived to have originated in france (based on a translation of mohammed). though thats just one theory, it seems to be the most perpetuated. i've not seen anything about babylon.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:01 am
The only thing I got from Encyclopedia Mythica on Baphomet was this:

Quote:
A corruption of Mahomet, the imaginary idol which the Templars were said to worship with licentious rites.

Sauce

As far as Baphomet is concerned, I don't think he is a Babylonian deity however in LaVayan circles, in the inverted pentagram he is used as a symbol of the human self, along with Satan and other entities. In Spiritual Satanism..he is one of my many deities worshiped. I could be wrong, alas the only Satanist I used to talk regularly with is no more...I'm still trying to find resources on Spiritual Satanism. Tempted to contact Diane Verde and see if she has some people in Texas, or if there are materials, etc ._.  

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

The Stories Never Told

Beloved Prophet

5,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:28 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
The Stories Never Told

It was a History channel special about the history of the Templars. It had a brief little explanation of who he was, and from what I remember, it said Babylon as its origin. Course, this could be wrong.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:39 pm
The Stories Never Told
Sanguina Cruenta
The Stories Never Told

It was a History channel special about the history of the Templars. It had a brief little explanation of who he was, and from what I remember, it said Babylon as its origin. Course, this could be wrong.

Unfortunately, History Channel isn't known for its' scholastic accuracy these days. They tend to air things that are entertaining, without really fact-checking.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

The Stories Never Told

Beloved Prophet

5,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:43 pm
Morgandria
The Stories Never Told
Sanguina Cruenta
The Stories Never Told

Unfortunately, History Channel isn't known for its' scholastic accuracy these days. They tend to air things that are entertaining, without really fact-checking.

...sigh...great. Me, 0. World, way too much.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:14 pm
if you think about it, its perfection. balance beetween god and goddess, light and dark, high and low, i mean just look at it, its a great representation of pan, ( goat with erect phallus ) and the goddess, ( the breasts, and white moon )  

xX-Heathenborn-Xx

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:03 am
circlelord13
if you think about it, its perfection. balance beetween god and goddess, light and dark, high and low, i mean just look at it, its a great representation of pan, ( goat with erect phallus ) and the goddess, ( the breasts, and white moon )

but pan and baphpmet are two completely separate entities; and which goddess?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:16 am
whiporwill-o
circlelord13

I think he was just talking about the popular image of Baphomet, rather than Baphomet the supposed entity.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:27 am
Sanguina Cruenta
whiporwill-o
circlelord13

I think he was just talking about the popular image of Baphomet, rather than Baphomet the supposed entity.

ah, gotcha. sorry, i'm a bit too literal at times. sweatdrop  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games