The Inferno

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:13 pm
I put this in the book forum too...but didn't really get an answer for it.
My question is this: why are there beings from Ancient Greek Mythology in a work about how to get to Heaven by being a good Christian?
Zeus is mentioned, Madusa, Centaurs, the Minotaur, Cupid, Broccus(sp?), the Furies,...that three headed dog...Posidon...Rhea, Cronus,the Titans...Hercules...Atlas is even hinted at..AND the Bronze age and the Trojen war is mentioned...
all this stuff from Greek mythology is mentioned....but why?? if it's a work to support Christianity, then why is he mixing theologies like that?
Even the ferrys are from Greek stories. I think. There are not ferrys anywhere in Christian stories anyway.

This is driving me nuts and I don't care what religion says, but you can't mix them like that.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:31 pm
He was probably trying to make his book cooler.  

Ncrypt1d Threadkiller

Semidis--
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:38 pm
Yeah, nothing like something as epic as the Greek Gods and their people to make something cooler and more attractive, in all seriousness.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:35 pm
^as mentioned above, to attract people. Greek mythology is very detailed, rich and exciting. It's a hook to keep people reading your book (oh, that rhymes). Also, the Renaissance was a time when people were very admiring of ancient Greek and Roman cultures. You honestly couldn't really avoid putting something about them inside anything of that time.  

Paradoxismminant
Captain

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:30 pm
Okay then. ... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:49 am
That's why there's so many vampire books these days c:  

Paradoxismminant
Captain

Honk if you love reading!

Manage Your Items