Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Academy
I have a question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXSakura-chanxX67

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:26 pm
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot, but is saying I like you as a friend and I love you written the same?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:38 am
xXSakura-chanxX67
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot, but is saying I like you as a friend and I love you written the same?

Context is absolutely everything.

There is a way to say "I love you" - [object of your affection] wo aishite imasu.
That expression is, beyond any doubt, an expression of love. There's no misconstruing it. Unfortunately, it's a bit formal and over-the-top for most people; most couples don't use it very often, if at all.

The expression that is almost always used is "[object of affection] suki desu". It does literally translate to "I like you", but in the proper context, it's used for "I love you".

The thing to understand is that the Japanese don't see a need to express their love verbally the same way that Westerners do. They tend to find the idea embarrassing and unnecessary; you should express your feelings for your partner through actions, not words. Like I said, context is everything; if you're having a conversation with a person about your deep, innermost feelings and you say "I like you", they're probably going to assume you have romantic intentions.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
Japanese Academy

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers