Welcome to Gaia! ::

Passport Japan日本のパスポート

Back to Guilds

Guild to teach, learn or talk about japanese language and culture 

Tags: Anime, Contest, Japanese, Giveaway, Free 

Reply Japanese language
In Search of a Short-Term Study Partner/Teacher (via pm)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain Dandy ^.~

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Hello everyone. I'm going to college soon, but before I do, I'd like to brush up on my Japanese again. Unfortunately, my high school did not have Japanese classes, however, I was lucky enough to attend a language immersion camp (part of Concordia Language Learning Villages) for four summers, totaling 12 weeks. This translates into two years worth of high school credit.

Still, I'm not quite sure what all of this adds up to, so I'll just say that I'm a beginner. Here's what I know so far:

- Hiragana and Katakana
- Masu/Mashita
- 'Te' form
- 'Tai' form
- Informal present and past (dictionary form and 'ta' form)
- Particles (ha, wo, kara, de, ni, he...)
- Negative commands
- Basic adjective usage

I know some more, but listed above is what I've mastered. Also, I know little to no kanji, and I have little vocabulary under my belt.

I live on Mountain Time (US), so if you live in that time zone or one or two over, that'd be great, but not necessary. Also, I don't mind if you're not a master at Japanese. I'm fine conversing with people that are either at my level or higher. Because I do not know kanji, if you use it, I'd appreciate a note at the bottom of your pm telling me what it is (like a furigana substitute), and even better, the kunyomi and onyomi.

Thanks, and I hope at least someone is interested!!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:30 am
Captain Dandy ^.~
Hello everyone. I'm going to college soon, but before I do, I'd like to brush up on my Japanese again. Unfortunately, my high school did not have Japanese classes, however, I was lucky enough to attend a language immersion camp (part of Concordia Language Learning Villages) for four summers, totaling 12 weeks. This translates into two years worth of high school credit.

Still, I'm not quite sure what all of this adds up to, so I'll just say that I'm a beginner. Here's what I know so far:

- Hiragana and Katakana
- Masu/Mashita
- 'Te' form
- 'Tai' form
- Negative commands
- Basic adjective usage

I know some more, but listed above is what I've mastered. Also, I know little to no kanji, and I have little vocabulary under my belt.

I live on Mountain Time (US), so if you live in that time zone or one or two over, that'd be great, but not necessary. Also, I don't mind if you're not a master at Japanese. I'm fine conversing with people that are either at my level or higher. Because I do not know kanji, if you use it, I'd appreciate a note at the bottom of your pm telling me what it is (like a furigana substitute), and even better, the kunyomi and onyomi.

Hey, I'm actually at this level too... I've had to teach myself and its really hard lol xp I'd be willing to study with ya.  

1RasetsuToMukuro

3,150 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200

kutsuchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:00 am
Captain Dandy ^.~

- Hiragana and Katakana
- Masu/Mashita
- 'Te' form
- 'Tai' form
- Negative commands
- Basic adjective usage

I will help you ^^
Right now I'm on my second year of college level Japanese. It looks if you have those down pat your good on basics you might want to work on your sentence merging. example: I want to go to the department store, but I don't have any gas in my car. After you get sentence connectors down you should be good with basics you just want to work on irregular sentences and more advanced topics. Maybe if your advanced enough you could even start learning "keigo" which is extremely formal speech. You'd hear it on like the news and from restaurants and just workers serving you. I will help however I can. It doesn't seem like I'm too much farther ahead than you but I will teach you what I know if you want.

P.S. Hey you went to concordia language villages? Are you from Minnesota? If so what college are you going to? because I'm from Minnesota.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:32 am
kutsuchi
I will help you ^^
Right now I'm on my second year of college level Japanese. It looks if you have those down pat your good on basics you might want to work on your sentence merging. example: I want to go to the department store, but I don't have any gas in my car. After you get sentence connectors down you should be good with basics you just want to work on irregular sentences and more advanced topics. Maybe if your advanced enough you could even start learning "keigo" which is extremely formal speech. You'd hear it on like the news and from restaurants and just workers serving you. I will help however I can. It doesn't seem like I'm too much farther ahead than you but I will teach you what I know if you want.

P.S. Hey you went to concordia language villages? Are you from
Minnesota? If so what college are you going to? because I'm from Minnesota.

Hello there again! No, I'm not from Minnesota....I'm actually from Colorado. I don't exactly remember how my mom and I found out about the villages, but going there has been one of the best experiences in my life. And to answer your second question, I'm going to Beloit College in Wisconsin.

Anywho, I'd love to practice with you. Just send me a pm any chance you get. Also, I already know some conjunctions like から and けど, and other transitions and such like それでも、それから、それに、ただし, etc. However these are things I need to work on using. I'm also just beginning to be able to state what I think/my opinions. Anywho, I look forward to talking with you!

Oh, and @Rasetsu, feel free to send me a pm as well. I need all the practice I can get!  

Captain Dandy ^.~

Japanese language

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff