Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Respect: Inside the Community and Out

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:15 am
I thought this contained some really great questions, so I am re-posting this here (with permission) for your input...

Ren LehCrow

What is your view of "respect" both within the witch/pagan community and outside of it?

In many online communities and message boards devoted to witchcraft and paganism there is always someone who posts that they want to practice witchcraft or follow a pagan religion (or both) but their parents disapprove. My response to these threads is always the same: that is they are living in their parents' home and their parents are supporting them, it would be very ungrateful and disrespectful to them to follow that path and that it would be better for them to wait until they are at a point in their lives where they can move out and become independent. Sometimes I will also go so far as to say that following their chosen path behind their parents' back would bring shame on them and their practice (but I usually only say that it I decide I don't like the OP for whatever reason).

Today, someone (not the thread's OP) replied to one of those posts of mine saying that I was the one who should be ashamed for taking the side of the "haters" who would "persecute their own child" for being pagan and practicing witchcraft. She (I assume she was a woman/girl) then proceeded to lay out a plan for the OP to begin practicing an eclectic tradition behind her parents' back and ended her post with the phrase "Blessed Be".

I, being the head-strong and argumentative b***h that I am, of course replied back to her countering her unkind words about me and my character and then proceeded to rip apart her plan for the OP to deceive their parents. And I, of course, ended my post by explaining that "Blessed Be" was a very specific phrased used in Wicca and that it was rude and (sometimes) offensive to just casually throw around as a salutation.

Her response was to rather eloquently call me a b***h say that she didn't care how other people used the phrase or what they thought of her using it. She was going to keep doing it because that was what she wanted to do.

So, now that story time is over, lets swing back to the main topic: Respect.

* Do you think it is disrespectful for a person to practice witchcraft or follow a pagan religion if they are under the age of 18 and still dependent on their parents when those parents don't want them to?

* Is it disrespectful to another witch/pagan to advice them not to practice their chosen path if they are still dependent on their parent and those parents do not want them to practice?

* Is it disrespectful to another witch/pagan to condemn them for giving advice that you disagree with?

* Is it disrespectful for a member of the witch/pagan community to use a ritual phrase from another tradition casually in every-day conversation? Doubly so if they are aware of the offense it may cause?

* Should members of the witch/pagan community respect each other at all?

* Do you think people who do not practice witchcraft or are not pagan are entitled to respect from the witch/pagan community at all?

--

What is your view of "respect" both within the witch/pagan community and outside of it?

(I think I'll post this in a few other places. Sorry if you've already read it and responded.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:19 am
Ren LehCrow
* Do you think it is disrespectful for a person to practice witchcraft or follow a pagan religion if they are under the age of 18 and still dependent on their parents when those parents don't want them to?

The short and simple answer is yes, I think it's disrespectful. Having said that, I think a lot will depend on if the parents have actually expressly forbid the minor from practicing, or if it's more of a matter of the minor knowing that their parents wouldn't approve, but they haven't said anything to them, so they don't really know for sure.

I'm a big fan of just not saying anything, if the topic hasn't been brought up, keep it that way. Do your own thing discretely, and don't go out of your way to rock the boat. On the other hand, if you have already been expressly forbidden to practice, then (as you mentioned) while they are still under their parents roof, they need to respect their parents wishes and not practice. Does this mean that they can't practice and study in other places - no, so really other than location, it's not impeding their religious freedoms - only restricting where they can openly practice.

Personally I feel that trying to practice witchcraft (particularly spellwork), or trying to hold other religious rituals (and calling on Gods/esses) in a place where they are not welcome will diminish whatever it is you are trying to accomplish. In spell work, there will be counter-energy from the parent (even if it's passive energy - simply saying "I don't want that here" puts that energy out there), which will make that spell/charm, etc... less effective. If you are calling a God/ess into the house, they will know that they are not welcome, they will feel that negativity, and I think would be less likely to respond, or might even feel disrespected that they are being asked into such a space that is not truly accepting of their presence. So that is a consideration as well.

Quote:
* Is it disrespectful to another witch/pagan to advice them not to practice their chosen path if they are still dependent on their parent and those parents do not want them to practice?

Not at all. Part of what I've learned as a seeker, is that patience really is a virtue, and if they can't wait the 2 or 3 years it takes to get out from under their parents roof, then odds are they don't have the patience to properly learn/practice anyways. No practicing at home, doesn't mean they still can't be using that time to study, and research - or that they can't do things outside the house. There are many ways of holding a ritual - even the act of simply walking down the street can be made sacred. It's all about looking for creative ways to do your own thing, while still respecting your parents wishes.

Quote:
* Is it disrespectful to another witch/pagan to condemn them for giving advice that you disagree with?

It's one thing to disagree with someone, after all we are all entitled to our own opinions (even if our opinions are wrong - it's our choice to continue to hold on to them, or let them go), it's another to openly berate someone for having a different opinion - especially in situations where there really isn't an actual "right" or "wrong" answer.

To encourage someone to lie, or be deceitful (especially a minor), or to be openly disrespectful to one's parents is unethical and shows poor moral judgement. Should we all be able to openly practice whatever we want, whenever we want to, of course, but it's also a lot easier to go with the flow, than go against it. A child's parents have the ability to make life fairly miserable for them, if they so choose, so there is no reason to openly advocate defiance, especially on something like one's religious/spiritual choices. No one is saying you can't be what you are - just that there is an appropriate time and place to express it - and while you are still living under your parent's roof, isn't that time and place. I'm a big fan of the "Witch's Pyramid" and it's the "be silent" part that always seems to trip people up - they don't seem to realize that it's never been about shouting it out to the world (nor should it be).

Quote:
* Is it disrespectful for a member of the witch/pagan community to use a ritual phrase from another tradition casually in every-day conversation? Doubly so if they are aware of the offense it may cause?

In regards to the specific phrase that was used - as a casual phrase, no I don't think it should be used. However I know initiates who take both sides of the debate, so I really think it could be argued either way. I know other religions who use similar phrasing on a regular basis, and it was not taken from BTW, so I think there could be an argument made that it is a rather common phrase, even though it has sacred significance to BTW. I no longer use the phrase, though I did at one point. It wasn't something that I used as a common every-day thing, but something that when I said it - I sincerely meant that I wanted the person/people I was speaking to be blessed. Not in the... I'm going to sanctify you in blood sort of way, but in the I hope your life is full of joy, love, good luck, etc... It was hard for me to give that up, but I did so out of respect for a friend.

Quote:

I think true respect has to be earned, but in most cases (at least for me) there is a sort of neutral level of respect that I give to almost everyone, and it either raises or lowers, depending on their actions. I dothink that we should be more tolerant (not sure if that's the right word) of what other people have to say. Those who have been lucky enough to find better sources of information, should not be so quick to talk down to those who haven't been so lucky. Clearly there will always be those who are going to stick their fingers in their ears and refuse to listen, but it's easy enough to expose them for the idiots they are (without resorting to flame wars).

Quote:
* Do you think people who do not practice witchcraft or are not pagan are entitled to respect from the witch/pagan community at all?

Again there is the feeling that respect has to be earned, and most of what I said above still applies. On this particular point, just because someone has a different religion or path, is not any reason why I should show them any less respect than any one else. If we want them to respect us, then we need to have respect for them as well... it's a two-way street.

Quote:

I think people are too quick to judge each other based on their own "narrow" views, rather than looking at things with a wider angle lens. The big picture is that there is a ton of misinformation floating around - not only within the pagan community, but in general... the media, tv, movies, books, other religions, etc... it's hard to find respect (for each other, and within other paths) when we are constantly fighting all of that.

ncsweet
Crew

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:08 am
Quote:

I think that if you live with your parents, and they have rules for the house, you should follow them. If these rules include things like not burning candles or incense, not having certain books, or even not practicing witchcraft, then you should abide. In that situation, I would probably sit down and talk with my parents about why they felt the way they do. Sometimes it might be a safety issue (worry about house fires), and there might be a compromise that could be found.

Quote:

If your advice to the person is worded politely and not intending to cut them down or belittle them, then I think it is perfectly respectable to voice your opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.....some people just can't (or choose not to) express theirs in a way that isn't intended to hurt.

Quote:

The word that gets me here is condemn. I think that condemning implies a good amount of telling someone they are wrong. That is a big difference between simply stating that you think/feel something different. I don't think there is anything wrong with disagreeing with someone or their ideas...but condemning them is something else entirely.

Quote:

This is a very touchy subject for a lot of people. My personal thoughts are that if someone says something with the intent of ridiculing the group the phrase originated from, that is disrespectful. If they encountered the phrase from a different source, and are unaware that the phrase is special to a particular group, then I don't feel it is disrespectful. If they later find out....well I think that's where it gets tricky. I'm not sure I believe that any one group (or person) can 'own' a phrase (maybe if it is copywrited, although that still allows others to use it with proper credit). In regards to 'Blessed Be' there are a lot of people who were exposed to this particular phrase as they were learning through a plethora of books and websites that applied it as a general greeting and basic part of many common rituals. I can see how it would be hard to let go of what you feel is a central part of your practice because another group claims that phrase is exclusive to their group. Ultimately I'm not sure I have a hard and fast opinion on this one.

Quote:

I think that there are certain levels of respect that we should give others in the community. We don't always have to agree, but I think that some people can be particularly harsh with others, and on the whole this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, and in my opinion makes the whole community look bad both to those within and those without it. I don't think there is a good reason to ridicule someone or go out of your way to bash their practices or person. Even if they are saying some crazy stuff that you think is absolutely ridiculous. Some people just can't be reasoned with, and to start flinging insults won't effect them at all, but it makes you look like a petty spiteful person.

Quote:

I don't think anyone is entitled to respect. I do think we should respect others until they show they aren't deserving of it. To me, whether a person deserves my respect or not has nothing to do with what faith they are, it has to do with the type of person they are.

Quote:

I think that there is a lot of division within the pagan/witch community. Many groups seem to feel that they are better than others. Sometimes it feels like we aren't so much a big community as a bunch of angry fish thrown in the same bowl who end up trying to eat each other. It is more likely to see a discussion where two (or more) people disagree turn into a full out nasty fight than to see it become a conversation where differing opinions are shared and contemplated. I find it kind of depressing at times.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games