What should I do?
  Keep trying
  Back off
View Results

Skadi Sundermount

Snack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:06 am
Dear forum,

Is there a nice way to tell your friend that their character is a Mary Sue?

My friend has this...glaringly obvious Mary Sue of a character. I've tried to understand the character but the more I try the more confused I become and the more frustrate she gets. Other people have expressed similar confusion, misunderstanding, or outright distaste for the character, and each time she gets offended. Any time I or anyone else tries to make a suggestion she takes it as some personal attack against her. She says she's tried to fix the problem but is never happy with the results. I want her to be happy but what she has now seems to be causing a lot of animosity between her and other Gaians.

How do I talk to her about this without hurting her feelings? Or should I just leave it alone and tell her to ignore what other people say even if it alienates her from the people and players?

Any advice?

Note: From what I understand she's one of those Supah Speshul Sues! Feels her character needs to be the sexiest, most powerful character in the room, or else she isn't interesting enough.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:29 pm
Well, just so you know, there are a lot of Mary Sue's Gary Stues in the Role Playing world. People just like the idea of a better than they are person, and for some reason, they just go to the extremes. Even if you make their image perfection and their history normal as any other persons, their still considered a Marry Sue. Even if you give them your middle name, they are considered a Mary Sue.

So I find it a bit funny that someone is asking for help in telling their friend their character is a Mary Sue, but that may just be me.

I have one of those characters on another site. But she had a hurtful past, so it's a bit easy to tell why she's the way she is now, and her job helps out with it. It's a medieval role play. She's a courtesan - a person who gives her self to the powerful. But she's not exactly a courtesan, she's also a female Robin Hood. Reason why? Her parents sold her off to rapists. All she knows is lust, but she wants to do it for the greater good. She finds out that there's some supreme being with a horrible secret or plan going on, and she goes off and tries to get them to think of something for the greater good. I don't actually know about that part yet because I haven't rped that yet, but I'm plotting with one of my friends to get that going.

Now, if the character seems confusing by finding out about it's history, you should write and outline of the history. Tell what happened in the order that it happened. Maybe that would be less confusing? Give detail of why it happened and what exactly happened. Sort of like a biography, but it doesn't have to be that long, and it can just be an outline like what they do at school when you're starting to write an essay.

Hope that helped!
~ Moon  

myjestic_moon

5,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

ditquad

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:12 am
BUMP

Guild of Roses

Manage Your Items