Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Literate & Agressive Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I Wrong?
  Yes
  No
View Results

[The Emo]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:52 pm

The correct language, is common to be Formal.

And, population's of well spoken people have passed through the age's leaving a community of under-aged monkey's speaking Alien.

Is it moi, or is the new and under intelligent language "Slang" made up of agressive word's and insults?
People think it is cool, to walk around shouting out "Yo (N-word)"

But, how is that cool?

It cause's trouble by insulting other cultures.
If people, did' not use this un-suitable language to talk
would there be so many fights breaking out?

Tell us, your Opinion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:15 am
Hexagon Hooligan

The correct language, is common to be formal.

And, populations of well spoken people have passed through the ages, leaving a community of under-aged monkeys speaking Alien.

Is it I, or is the new and under intelligent language "Slang" made up of agressive words and insults?
People think it is cool, to walk around shouting out "Yo (N-word)"

But, how is that cool?

It causes trouble by insulting other cultures.
If people, did not use this un-suitable language to talk
would there be so many fights breaking out?

Tell us your opinion

I agree with you. If people would just go back to being polite like we were raised to be in my day, we wouldn't have all this s**t hitting the fan. People should think about what it's like to be in the other guy's shoes before speaking. Certainly I don't advocate political correctness, but just a return to common decency, which is no longer common.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

[The Emo]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:04 pm

You're the only person, who replies. xD
Yes, I agree 100%

And, you gave me a image of s**t hitting a Fan.
Oh Gawd!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:49 pm
You're correct.

Why can't people just say "Hello"? Unless I am very mistaken, it's pretty easy to say. 2 syllables.

I agree with you all the way. wink  

Javatom

[The Emo]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:48 am

Exactly!
Why do they insist, on calling us Dougs?
We are Human, when I last checked. . .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:25 pm
I find it annoying as well. However, a little friendly insulting shouldn't be taken offense to, either.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Folkwin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:14 pm
I agree. It's not normal to be swearing all day long. I can't, for one, get a decent curse over my lips when I'm angry, but these people even curse when they're happy or in a common conversation. It's weird, it shouldn't be like that. A swear-word is bad for a reason, you end up hurting people and most are vulgar.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:05 pm
I think people are way too sensitive these days. >.<
It's one thing if someone's cussing you out, another if cursing is just part of their vocabulary. Most of the people I know curse every other word and it's because everyone else does it and they eventually do it without realizing it.
If they're doing it in a friendly way and the insults aren't too strong, I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Though the N-word is pushing it. Actually, beyond pushing it. THAT I don't agree with.

Shrocomemos

Explosive Lotus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:22 pm
I agree with Shrocomemos on this one, people are a bit overly sensitive. I really don't mind it if someone is cursing simply because thats the way that they are. My own friends for string curse words together for every other sentence. Its just so common maybe we've simply be desensitized from it. Personally, I hardly ever use curse words.

Yet there are still others who will take it a bit to far and use insults which are too strong, for those people I have little patience.

When the N-word is concerned I will never understand why people use it in this day and age. It should have died alongside the era that bore it not be "reinvented," because no matter how you look at it its a rather insulting thing and no matter how many people use it "positively" there will be that many people still using its negative connotations. Death to that term I say.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:25 pm
Unfortunately, even if that word did die, there would still be some idiot saying it and either insulting people or making it sound cool.

Curse words are a part of peoples vocabulary nowadays and we'll just have to live with it. After all, majority rules.

Shrocomemos

[Amonie]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:36 pm
From my own experience, I've seen far more black people calling other black people '*****' (because I've only heard the word ****** in conversations involving the age of black slavery) than white people using the term.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with it, as it really is part of a certain dialect I guess you'd call it. As some might say "Ghetto life" birthed a certain dialect and one of the biproducts was the practice of callings your 'buddies' niggas. For whatever reason.

People need to realize that not everyone is going to use the same words as everyone else, as we all come from different backgrounds.

It's one thing to make fun of somebody slaughtering their own language and dialect, (for example, one girl in one of my classes once said "Dat's da way we do's it", and damn did I ever have a field day with that one) but we don't have the right to make fun of people for their dialects.

Even though dat's da way we do's it sometimes. XD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:21 am
[Amonie]
From my own experience, I've seen far more black people calling other black people '*****' (because I've only heard the word ****** in conversations involving the age of black slavery) than white people using the term.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with it, as it really is part of a certain dialect I guess you'd call it. As some might say "Ghetto life" birthed a certain dialect and one of the biproducts was the practice of callings your 'buddies' niggas. For whatever reason.

People need to realize that not everyone is going to use the same words as everyone else, as we all come from different backgrounds.

It's one thing to make fun of somebody slaughtering their own language and dialect, (for example, one girl in one of my classes once said "Dat's da way we do's it", and damn did I ever have a field day with that one) but we don't have the right to make fun of people for their dialects.

Even though dat's da way we do's it sometimes. XD
True, but when you have people throwing the word around carelessly and it's NOT part of their dialect, then people get upset and cause a scene. gonk

Shrocomemos

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:46 am
People swear all the time at my school, so swearing to yourself for me is not that big of aa deal. My own mom swears all the time XD... Actually, it runs in her family, hehe. My uncle swears even more than her. They swear to themselves and tell dirty jokes, but they are never, ever vulgar to anyone. There is a difference between using a swear word to yourself or using it to insult someone, which, unfortunately, isn't going to stop anytime soon.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:08 pm
Hexagon Hooligan

Correct language is commonly formal language.

And populations of well-spoken people have passed through the ages leaving a community of under-aged monkeys speaking Alien.

Is it moi, or is the new and under-intelligent language "Slang" made up of agressive words and insults?
People think it is 'cool' to walk around shouting out "Yo (N-word)".

But how is that cool?

It causes trouble by insulting other cultures.
If people did not use this unsuitable language to talk, would there be so many fights breaking out?

Tell us your opinion.

I'm sorry, but I had to correct that. It's okay though, just some misplaced commas and apostrophes.

But back on topic, what I find most annoying is when someone is walking down the street and saying, at the top of their voice, "..and I effin' did this, and effin' that and he effin' hit me for effin' nothin'..." and so on. It bugs me to no end.

The ocasional swearword I don't mind. Saying something normally isn't half as powerful as saying it with a swearword in front, even a minor curse, such as damn. And the ocasional [S-word] or so when something has gone drastically wrong doesn't bother me. It's when it's used as an everyday word that it annoys me. Unfortunately, that is what our society has become.

And obviously, using words like b*****d for their original meaning (illegitimate child or hand-and-a-half sword) doesn't bother me.

Personally, I try to avoid all except the ocasional 'bloody' or 'damn'.

And as for racist terms, I can't abide racism, but I honestly can't see why people get so touchy from the word '*****'. They call themselves it more often than different cultures call them it.

Now I must appologise profusely for the amount of swearing in this post, and hope I will be forgiven for both that and correcting the original post.

Ithaya

KuraiKitty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:47 pm
I have to agree with your sentiments. It makes it seem as if those are the only words in their vocabulary, doesn't it? It often appears to me that those are the only words that they use as adjectives... Let's give a small sample then, shall we?

"Effin' this, effin' that... Oh, that was the shi(z)!"

I don't see the point of doing so, quite frankly. All it does is address to others that you don't have the mental capacity to choose more appropriate words for the situation. For instance, perhaps a better word would stand nicely in for the last one (I'm sorry for the strangeness of the last one. I just tried to censor that to the best of my ability, while still getting the point across.), though many people nowadays would not go through the trouble of doing so.

Censorship seems old-fashioned to most teenagers, and swearing is now commonplace. The original intention of most swear words in the past was to shock and intimidate others; now, most of the population is desensitized to its original context. Almost no one uses the terms properly anymore, as aforementioned in Ikonik's post, which has rendered many children confused as to what the original meanings are. I even overheard a small boy the other day, confused as to why his mother called a female dog a 'dirty name'.

Racial words are never appropriate, but so long as they're taking no offense to it, I personally don't see the problem. Most of the fights are provoked by someone they are uncomfortable with shouting out the slurs, since they could care less if friends called them such. Again, pointing back to Ikonik's post, I have seen that most of them call themselves that 'more often than other cultures call them it'.

Is swearing supposed to increase popularity? Status? I have heard of no such things, but apparently fitting in nowadays mandates this habit... and, annoying and aggravating as it is, it's rather doubtful that that will change anytime soon.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff