Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
holy water

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:53 pm
i'm already familiar with several methods for making holy water, but my question is: would adding alcohol (like vodka, or even rubbing alcohol) to it ruin it?

it's not possible for me to keep it in the fridge where i currently live, but i have rare access to natural springs here and need a way to help it keep longer.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:21 pm
I don't really get why you'd bother finding it from a natural spring, and then put something into it. Like, keeping it for a length of time would change its nature, wouldn't it?

To store water and keep it from going manky you can put I think three drops of bleach in it. But if you're going to holy-fy it anyway, I'd just use tap water.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:36 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
I don't really get why you'd bother finding it from a natural spring, and then put something into it. Like, keeping it for a length of time would change its nature, wouldn't it?

To store water and keep it from going manky you can put I think three drops of bleach in it. But if you're going to holy-fy it anyway, I'd just use tap water.

the tap water at my house has something in it that i'm mildly allergic to and that puts me off to using it spiritually.

why would keeping it change it's nature? it doesn't change where it came from, so i don't understand. i've never heard that before.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:32 pm
whiporwill-o
the tap water at my house has something in it that i'm mildly allergic to and that puts me off to using it spiritually.

why would keeping it change it's nature? it doesn't change where it came from, so i don't understand. i've never heard that before.

If you take water from a spring and stick it in a still pond, it's still going to stagnate. Keeping it in a glass bottle is different to keeping it in a plastic bottle. Tap water still came from clouds before it came from the reservoir and the reservoir before it came from the tap.

You can filter your tap water by various means, or buy drinking water, or whatever you like. If you're not using it soon, to me it doesn't matter that you got it from a spring because by the time you come to use it, it's not "spring water", it's "bottled water". It's lost all its springyness.

And at any rate, a spring can be contaminated, and you may want to boil it before drinking it anyway, just in case an animal corpse fell into it upstream.

If you're going to be making holy water, rather than the water itself being holy already, just do the holy-making after you've added whatever to it.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:40 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
If you take water from a spring and stick it in a still pond, it's still going to stagnate. Keeping it in a glass bottle is different to keeping it in a plastic bottle. Tap water still came from clouds before it came from the reservoir and the reservoir before it came from the tap.

You can filter your tap water by various means, or buy drinking water, or whatever you like. If you're not using it soon, to me it doesn't matter that you got it from a spring because by the time you come to use it, it's not "spring water", it's "bottled water". It's lost all its springyness.

And at any rate, a spring can be contaminated, and you may want to boil it before drinking it anyway, just in case an animal corpse fell into it upstream.

If you're going to be making holy water, rather than the water itself being holy already, just do the holy-making after you've added whatever to it.

ah, ok. i get it... i think. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:46 pm
whiporwill-o
ah, ok. i get it... i think. sweatdrop

Yeah, I'm not really sure I articulated myself very well xp

I think it's something about capturing moving water, and keeping it still for a while, that changes its nature to some degree. Feel free to disagree - this is something I personally feel, and your experience may be different.

And all water is tied into other water, too... It falls from the sky, seeps through the ground, bubbles up in a spring, runs down to the ocean, evaporates up into the sky.

Either way, if you're keeping spring water for a time, it will go manky, so depending on size of container, drops of bleach or something of the sort should keep it OK and still leave it drinkable.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:58 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Yeah, I'm not really sure I articulated myself very well xp

I think it's something about capturing moving water, and keeping it still for a while, that changes its nature to some degree. Feel free to disagree - this is something I personally feel, and your experience may be different.

i never really felt that it changed to a degree severe enough to alter it's potency, unless it does go "manky". kind of like taking sea salt out of the sea doesn't make it any less salt from the sea. does that make sense? sorry, it's late, lol.

Quote:
And all water is tied into other water, too... It falls from the sky, seeps through the ground, bubbles up in a spring, runs down to the ocean, evaporates up into the sky.

even though that's true, i don't like using tap water. it feels dirty to me (and not dirty and in from dirt) for spell craft. that could be because i had to go on a field trip to a water treatment plant when i was younger. sweatdrop but even if it's just a mental thing for me, if it's negative, it could negatively affect my work.

Quote:
Either way, if you're keeping spring water for a time, it will go manky, so depending on size of container, drops of bleach or something of the sort should keep it OK and still leave it drinkable.

thank you 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:21 pm
Question! Well questions.

But how do you make holy water and what would you use it for? Whenever I think holy water I think Catholics so I'm kinda confused.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:32 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Question! Well questions.

But how do you make holy water and what would you use it for? Whenever I think holy water I think Catholics so I'm kinda confused.

Basically it's the same concept - you're blessing and consecrating the water. Most holy water gets used as a cleansing material, or to confer the properties of elemental Water to other things when anointed by it.

Different people make it in different ways.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:44 pm
Morgandria
Basically it's the same concept - you're blessing and consecrating the water. Most holy water gets used as a cleansing material, or to confer the properties of elemental Water to other things when anointed by it.

So say for instance one way I, myself on my current path, could make holy water would be to take the water and ask Djehuty to bless it and that would be it? Bam! Holy water? And then go on my merry little way and use it to cleanse tools I would use in my craft if any? Or even myself like what I think the Catholics do with it?  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:24 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Morgandria

So say for instance one way I, myself on my current path, could make holy water would be to take the water and ask Djehuty to bless it and that would be it? Bam! Holy water? And then go on my merry little way and use it to cleanse tools I would use in my craft if any? Or even myself like what I think the Catholics do with it?

That's pretty much it. Blessing water in the name of a deity or deities is not uncommon. Some people bless water by placing objects like holey stones or silver in it, or by placing it in certain vessels. Some consider the location of certain waters to be sacred and just use water drawn from these places. Some may charge it energetically by leaving it out under certain conditions - like moonlight. Others add things like salts to the water.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:30 pm
Morgandria
That's pretty much it. Blessing water in the name of a deity or deities is not uncommon. Some people bless water by placing objects like holey stones or silver in it, or by placing it in certain vessels. Some consider the location of certain waters to be sacred and just use water drawn from these places. Some may charge it energetically by leaving it out under certain conditions - like moonlight. Others add things like salts to the water.
Ok. Thanks Morg.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Whenever I think holy water I think Catholics so I'm kinda confused.

I know this is old- but some kinds of pagans use Catholic holy water.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 am
Esiris
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Whenever I think holy water I think Catholics so I'm kinda confused.

I know this is old- but some kinds of pagans use Catholic holy water.

Still good to know. Thanks Esiris.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games