Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
herbs - medicinal and magic

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:24 am
I am surprised at how many herbal remedies there are at my local pharmacy. All distilled down, of course, into pills or drops, but so much the better for it, I think.

But one looks at the price of them all and adds them up and wonders if it would not be easier and cheaper to buy seeds and grow them oneself. Of course, that requires more knowledge: which part of the plant is safe, how do you prepare it, what dilution, how do you consume it, etc etc. and it all seems so much easier just to buy the damn pills.

Do you grow plants for medicinal purposes - eyebright, for example? St John's Wort? Would you like to? What books on the subject do you recommend?

Culpeper's Herbal springs to mind but it is a little, erm, out of date.

PART B

Of course if one is growing herbs for one purpose, what about another? Herbs like wormwood and white sage can be grown and are attractive as a concept, but again we have the preparation and so on to consider. What is the safe way to prepare them? If this herb is safe to make tea from, can one also throw it into the fire or burn it in a pot or cauldron? that is to say, is its smoke safe to inhale?

Do you plant by a particular moon phase, or at a certain time of day? Do you use magic in your growing, or choosing when to harvest, and what to you use them for?

I am planning my imaginary herb garden, and picking out this and that. Wormwood, yes yes, into the plot - perhaps white sage just in case I feel like using it - thyme for cooking if nothing else - fennel in case I decide to make my own absinthe (ha!) - eyebright, as my eyes are not.

All this because I realised my St John's Wort has been expired for three years, and having a plant of the stuff will result, theoretically, in less expiration. Although the pills do seem to have a good amount of the stuff in it.... Also, I do not like tea.

This book looks more mature than many, though honestly it would be nice to find one written by a pharmacist.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:40 am
The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual by
James Green is pretty good for learning the different ways to make herbal concoctions (extractions, infusions, etc...).

If I recall, she's not one of your favorite authors, but Dorothy Morrison's Bud, Blossom Leaf: The Magical Herb Gardener's Handbook might have a few things in it worth looking at.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:48 am
Not sure I've read any Morrison. I'm not all that interested myself in magical purposes for herbs; I was really asking more what other people did with them.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:17 am
I pretty much avoid using herbs on a medical basis, aside from the tisane I make for my insomnia.
Since you don't like tea, I'll be quiet. :p My high priestess is an experienced and trained herbalist and makes her own salves and tinctures, but I don't really have the interest in that particular area. I only use them to make incense, or for magical purposes. I think my student may be more interested in the medicinal stuff, though, so I will direct her to my teacher instead.

Like you, I figure it's easier to just buy the prepared herbal medicines and let someone else do it. If I do end up growing a garden, it'll be stuff for incense and magic entirely - although it will be when I have a home with a yard. I can't garden here easily.

She's a bit hippy dippy, but try Susun S. Weed for herbal information. A friend of mine bases her garden practice on her books and she has an extensive forum and website.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:44 am
I go to an herbalist- and they're teaching me to make some of my own tinctures and grow my own herbs so I can help supplement what they give me.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:59 pm
i think Earl Mindell's Herb Bible is a good starting point for a few things (medicinal uses and whatnot), but i'd always double check for things. i've read that he tend to omit the negative side-effects from his books.

i also like Morrison's Bud, Blossom, & Leaf. she covers a lot of gardening basics, which i like. i'm not into the whole chanting and ritualistic parts, but that's just not my thing.  

whiporwill-o

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:05 pm
Thanks for the input, all. smile  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games