Welcome to Gaia! ::

Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Back to Guilds

"Helping" Final Fantasy fans with their addictions since 2004. 

Tags: Final Fantasy, RPGs, Square Enix 

Reply Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild
Favorite old-school Final Fantasy?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:39 pm
It seems very strange to me, but I don't actually think we've ever had a thread like this before! So, everyone, what's your favorite Final Fantasy, from the original through VI, and why?

Personally, I really love V. I don't know exactly what it is about that game that makes it inexplicably fun, but it's there.

Part of it, I think, is that it has a relatively complex story like II, IV, and VI, but it's so much lighthearted. I've come to like VI a lot more than I did when I first played it, but I've shamefully never really been able to get over how depressing the game looks at the beginning, with the muted colors and general atmosphere of Narshe. V is serious in its own way, but it's so much more... playful, I guess, than VI. That's also probably part of why I love IX so much, too.

I also think V's got by far the best battle system of the early games. I really love job systems, and V simply does it so well. Runner-up in this category would be II, actually; I love the idea that the more you use a skill or attribute, the better you get at it. On the other hand, pretty much everything else about II puts it at or near the bottom of my favorites list. sweatdrop

Besides, I adore the music, Faris is amazing, there's Gilgamesh... just so many things to love.

How about you guys?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:53 am
Ravenwolf

Besides, I adore the music, Faris is amazing, there's Gilgamesh... just so many things to love.

How about you guys?

i completely agree, FFV was the first FF game i played and for me was also the best in the old school FF's, . period razz  

Torio lll

Militant Tactician

Alice the Loving

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 am
I'll have to Final Fantasy Legend for the gameboy. I could be what ever I wanted in that one. But I never made it to far in it. I kept getting side tracked and then my sis sold it.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 am
My all-time favorite always has been, and always will be, Final Fantasy VI. It's the game that got me started in gaming to begin with, The game features some of the greatest music in the series, and some of the most dynamic characters. Locke and Celes are my all-time favorite FF couple, and I also love the versatility of the battle system. The customization of characters is awesome, and a lot of characters can use really unique weapons, as well as some of the series debuts of classic weapons. The Ultima Weapon and Lightbringer both first showed up with FF6, as did spells like Meltdown, Imp, and Vanish.  

DM Draco Moondragon

6,550 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Kef-Palazzo

Blessed Guildsman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 pm
I'LL LET YOU GUESS! UWEE-HEE-HEE~!

...but seriously, not only is Final Fantasy VI my favorite Retro FF, not only is it my favorite FF in general, it is hands down my favorite RPG.

PERIOD.

The characters are deep and developed (as in I actually CARE what happens to them), the story is engaging, and the gameplay is downright perfect! Now, write this all off as the rantings of a devoted fanboy, but you cannot deny the recognition this game warrants. It's just a shame most people I know simply start from 7 and up, and refuse to acknowledge the older games existence, as if sprites will give them cooties or something.

Hell, I just got into an argument with someone in the forums the other day with someone who claimed all the games before 7 were, in his eyes, "Feces" and after a few jeering remarks back and forth, I discovered he's actually never even played a game before 7.

Its just a bit depressing this is a pretty standard viewpoint when it comes to the later gen fans.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:35 am
I actually liked Final Fantasy II a lot. I don't know why, but I just loved certain parts of it. The rebel base theme will always be stuck in my head lol.  

Metalsand

ILOVEMAV

Invisible Informer

8,800 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:13 am
Tough one! I actually like all of them but if I had to pick one, I'd probably go for IV.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:05 am
final fantasy VI is definitively my favourite of the series. The engaging story lines, the character development. You cannot deny it is a pinnacle in SNES history. The touching moments were touching and not cheesy... This game knew how to tug on your hearts strings and not let go.

Now that being said.. Number III is a VERY close second. I loved the story line and the game play. Both were very well executed. Even the ds "remake" stood up well.

Post Script- My fiance disagrees wholeheartedly and stands by IV as *the* best Final Fantasy.

loren_aries

8,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Brandisher 100
Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items