Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:27 am
I've been thinking about doing this thread for quite some time, so I decided to go ahead and start it today. (Plus I haven't had lunch yet, so I've got food on the brain right now. mrgreen ) So...what are your favorite recipes? What do you love to cook and share with others? It can be anything--meals, desserts, snacks, etc.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:40 am
I'll start with a couple of things I like to make at Christmas for my family's finger-food party!

Cheese Dip
This stuff is INDESCRIBABLY good! My pastor gave us the recipe a couple of years ago, and I've been using it ever since!

Ingredients:
2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
1 pound Jimmy Dean ground pork sausage, original flavor
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes (I usually use the mild ones because the sausage is already pretty spicy)

Instructions:
Brown the sausage, drain the fat out of it, and set the sausage aside. In a saucepan, combine the cream cheese and Ro-Tel and melt the mix on the stove. Then stir in the sausage, and you're done!

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:48 am
(I'm putting each recipe in a separate post so none of the posts will be overly long.)

Sweet and Salty Cookies
I honestly have no idea what these are actually called, but my aunt taught me how to make them YEARS ago, and they're delicious!

Ingredients:
Ritz crackers (get at least one box)
1 jar creamy peanut butter
1 package of chocolate used for making candy, e.g. Almond Bark chocolate, Candi-Quik, etc. Basically, you are looking for the kind that you melt and dip things in and that hardens around what you dip it in, if that makes sense.
Wax paper (cover a countertop or a bunch of plates with it so your treats can cool without sticking to everything.)

Instructions:
Make a BUNCH of little sandwiches with the crackers and peanut butter. Then, melt the chocolate (I usually use the microwave for this), and dip the sandwiches in the chocolate. As soon as you dip them, set them to cool on a surface covered with wax paper.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 pm
    User Image
    Dip sounds good. :3
    I like to make things without recipes or with very easy ones.
    I don't have the attention span and patience to diligently follow one.
    So, for instance, I'll put some chicken in a pan, add onions, garlic,
    whatever, season it, maybe a bit of cooking wine . . .
    and see what comes out!

GreenInkling
Crew

Salty Sweetheart

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:58 pm
Well, that sounds yummy to me! blaugh And hey, isn't that how recipes are invented to begin with? wink  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:13 pm
I like to play around in the kitchen. If I'm making something for the first time, I'll look at several recipes, find the patterns, and then kind of combine them. It usually works out pretty well. I like experimenting. heart

@Alv - I've had that dip before, and it's incredible. eek Too bad it definitely isn't on my diet though. sweatdrop  

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Elocutionist 200

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:37 pm
blaugh That's true! But we have it maybe twice a year, so...yeah. Plus you can use fat-free cream cheese. That's what I do! It doesn't reduce the calories,of course, but it does reduce the fat content!

...And now I'm all hungry! blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:22 am
Hehe, I'm planning on posting more recipes, but I'm feeling so lazy right now! sweatdrop But yeah...

Green and Chibi (and anyone else), if you guys remember any of the dishes that you've made up and really enjoyed, I would love to hear about them! I'm always looking for new stuff to try out! xd  

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:48 pm
Mademoiselle Alvinette
Hehe, I'm planning on posting more recipes, but I'm feeling so lazy right now! sweatdrop But yeah...

Green and Chibi (and anyone else), if you guys remember any of the dishes that you've made up and really enjoyed, I would love to hear about them! I'm always looking for new stuff to try out! xd

Malomy and I used this recipe, and it was really yummy. We had trouble keeping the battering on, but then again, neither of us are familiar with battering and frying things. sweatdrop

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/chiles-rellenos-stuffed-peppers/detail.aspx  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:13 pm
*looks at recipe* That sounds yummy! heart I bet my dad would like that too!  

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:51 pm
Mademoiselle Alvinette
*looks at recipe* That sounds yummy! heart I bet my dad would like that too!

Let me know how it turns out for you. biggrin

Btw, when you scorch the peppers, it happens super fast, so you have to continually move those things around. After all the skin is scorched, put them in a ziploc bag for 10 or 15 minutes, and the skin will peel right off. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:53 pm
Oooo, thanks for the tip! heart I've never made stuffed peppers before, so I'm glad you warned me. 3nodding  

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:20 pm
I like making Boston Cream Cupcakes. You pretty much make a batch plain boring yellow cake cupcakes and some pastry cream.

Once the cupcakes cool down, you cut a circular hole in the top [without completely removing the top] that you use to hollow it out. Fill it with pastry cream, then put just enough of the top back on to cover it.

Once all the cupcakes are filled, make chocolate ganache, and use that to cover all the cupcakes. It also acts like a chocolatey glue that holds the part of the top you had to cut out in place while also covering up what you did.

Chocolate Ganache is very easy to make... You pretty much cut bittersweet chocolate very finely then heat up whipping cream in a microwave until it gets very hot but before it starts to boil over. You poor the hot whipping cream over the chocolate, and stir quickly. You need to work fast with this stuff as it will start to set as it cools down and eventually harden. I have only found it to be difficult to work with if you have to reheat it at all. [I don't remember the chocolate-to-cream ratio but if you google chocolate ganache, any recipe should be able to give it to you.]

As for pastry cream, the part about tempering the eggs is far more intimidating that it seems. I've successfully made the stuff every time I've made it. The first time, all I had was a recipe in a book and looked up a video on youtube just to see the process. You will want to follow a recipe exact on this.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:32 pm
That sounds WONDERFUL! emotion_omnomnom I'm going to HAVE to try that when I can get the ingredients! whee Thanks for sharing!  

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50

Mademoiselle Alvinette

Vice Captain

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:14 am
Anybody got any good chicken salad recipes? I'm CRAVING chicken salad right now and want to try a recipe that I like better than the one my mom uses (which is essentially potato salad but using chicken instead of potatoes). yum_puddi  
Ye Olde Lobby

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games