Reply Q&A (Are YOU using this?)
Wanting to build an AR platform DMR Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sergei Simonov

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:55 am
Anyone know of a good website to order parts? Cheaper the better, though I'm not looking to sacrifice too much quality. Also, any tips someone should know when building/owning their first AR pattern would be appreciated.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:25 pm
For a DMR, I fully recommend a long barrel, 20-24", and 1:7 twist, no less (1:9 is less). Flash hiders are nice, you can swap them out with a muzzle brake later, and a well-designed brake on an AR can negate all recoil. I think CMMG makes decent-quality parts at rock-bottom prices, but I'm not sure about the prices on their non-bargain-bin items. CMMG Bargain Bin is the best price to quality ratio on the market. If you want something a little quirky though, look into American Spirit Arms' side-charging upper receivers. I want one so bad. They make the gun easier to operate, and stop that distracting blast of gasses that comes out the charging handle hole and goes up your nose.

Building isn't too hard if you've got some punches and know-how (or a tutorial), but don't try to build your own upper.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Sergei Simonov

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:42 am
Fresnel
For a DMR, I fully recommend a long barrel, 20-24", and 1:7 twist, no less (1:9 is less). Flash hiders are nice, you can swap them out with a muzzle brake later, and a well-designed brake on an AR can negate all recoil. I think CMMG makes decent-quality parts at rock-bottom prices, but I'm not sure about the prices on their non-bargain-bin items. CMMG Bargain Bin is the best price to quality ratio on the market. If you want something a little quirky though, look into American Spirit Arms' side-charging upper receivers. I want one so bad. They make the gun easier to operate, and stop that distracting blast of gasses that comes out the charging handle hole and goes up your nose.

Building isn't too hard if you've got some punches and know-how (or a tutorial), but don't try to build your own upper.

Yeah, I was planning on getting this complete upper.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:48 am
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel

Yeah, I was planning on getting this complete upper.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm
The price is solid enough, and I've heard good things about Bravo, but personally, I would not recommend a fixed front sight. They tend to get in the way of optics.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Sergei Simonov

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:01 am
Fresnel
The price is solid enough, and I've heard good things about Bravo, but personally, I would not recommend a fixed front sight. They tend to get in the way of optics.

Know of any sites that sell more then just one or two complete uppers?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:37 am
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel

Unfortunately not. Unless Brownell's or Cheaper Than Dirt does that kind of thing?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Sergei Simonov

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:47 am
Fresnel
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel

Unfortunately not. Unless Brownell's or Cheaper Than Dirt does that kind of thing?

Best I'm finding in my price range is with an 1:8 twist. How much does the twist rate affect accuracy? Would an 20" 1:8 be a better choice then a 22" 1:9?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:10 am
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel

Best I'm finding in my price range is with an 1:8 twist. How much does the twist rate affect accuracy? Would an 20" 1:8 be a better choice then a 22" 1:9?
Twist rate affects bullet weight, bullet weight affects accuracy and range. A 1:9 barrel is shallow enough to not detonate a 45gr hollowpoint, but it won't properly stabilize a 77gr OTM round, which is perfect for long-range shooting. A 1:8 or 1:7 will properly stabilize the 77gr, but the twist is too fast for lighter rounds, and a 45gr round will shred itself apart in a few yards from centrifugal forces.

However, be forewarned: that 1:8 claims to have a heavy-profile barrel, which means it's identical to #14 here:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

That's three extra pounds of steel compared to the government-profile #13 above it. It's an incredibly accurate barrel, but it is noticeably heavier. Shooting that offhand is a challenge, and the balance feels funny.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Sergei Simonov

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:14 am
Fresnel
Twist rate affects bullet weight, bullet weight affects accuracy and range. A 1:9 barrel is shallow enough to not detonate a 45gr hollowpoint, but it won't properly stabilize a 77gr OTM round, which is perfect for long-range shooting. A 1:8 or 1:7 will properly stabilize the 77gr, but the twist is too fast for lighter rounds, and a 45gr round will shred itself apart in a few yards from centrifugal forces.

However, be forewarned: that 1:8 claims to have a heavy-profile barrel, which means it's identical to #14 here:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

That's three extra pounds of steel compared to the government-profile #13 above it. It's an incredibly accurate barrel, but it is noticeably heavier. Shooting that offhand is a challenge, and the balance feels funny.

I see, so assuming the weight doesn't bother me the 20" would be the better choice as far as accuracy. Kinda would prefer a bull barrel over a standard to be honest.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:53 am
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel

I see, so assuming the weight doesn't bother me the 20" would be the better choice as far as accuracy. Kinda would prefer a bull barrel over a standard to be honest.
That's hard to do, because of the standardization of gas blocks and front sight heights.

And yes, it's all down to comfort. It bothers me personally a bit, because I do a lot of offhand shooting, and it doesn't handle very well at all when compared to an M4gery or similar.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Sergei Simonov

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:12 am
Fresnel
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel

That's hard to do, because of the standardization of gas blocks and front sight heights.

And yes, it's all down to comfort. It bothers me personally a bit, because I do a lot of offhand shooting, and it doesn't handle very well at all when compared to an M4gery or similar.

I don't plan on shooting with irons, it will have a scope added on to it at some point or another. Any particular reason for so much offhand shooting?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:26 am
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel

I don't plan on shooting with irons, it will have a scope added on to it at some point or another. Any particular reason for so much offhand shooting?
I'm the kind of guy who'd put cheap folding irons on it anyway, JUST IN CASE.

Shooting in the desert, mostly. Too many pricklies to go prone or sitting, and I don't own a shooting mat. Also, no attachment points for accessories like bipods. Mine's a bog-standard A2 with an HBAR, a sight hood, and a paint job. Nothing else. When I build my next AR, I'm building it for home defense, so I'm definitely going 16" on that one. Probably gov't profile, maybe M4, but definitely laying down the foundation for a suppressed platform, because they're loud enough outside, I don't want to go deaf shooting one indoors.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Sergei Simonov

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:30 am
Fresnel
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel

Shooting in the desert, mostly. Too many pricklies to go prone or sitting, and I don't own a shooting mat. Also, no attachment points for accessories like bipods. Mine's a bog-standard A2 with an HBAR, a sight hood, and a paint job. Nothing else. When I build my next AR, I'm building it for home defense, so I'm definitely going 16" on that one. Probably gov't profile, maybe M4, but definitely laying down the foundation for a suppressed platform, because they're loud enough outside, I don't want to go deaf shooting one indoors.

Ah, They've got benches at the range I shoot at, and I've got some logs set up in my backyard for when I shoot at home.

I've got the M70 and the SKS and my "just in case" rifles, the SKS would be my first grab in a SHTF. I'm just wanting a nice accurate "SNIPUH RIHFEL" to have as a range toy.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:01 am
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel
Sergei Simonov
Fresnel

Ah, They've got benches at the range I shoot at, and I've got some logs set up in my backyard for when I shoot at home.

I've got the M70 and the SKS and my "just in case" rifles, the SKS would be my first grab in a SHTF. I'm just wanting a nice accurate "SNIPUH RIHFEL" to have as a range toy.
We made our own range. If you want a table, you have to grab an ironing board and haul it down with you, and with a range bag in one hand and a rifle case in the other, you're already short on hands. And you probably don't have to deal with prickly s**t. Not only do we have cactus, but a lot of our four-inch-high weeds are covered with spines and burs, so you risk laying in spines at any given time.

And it is definitely tons of fun to have a long-range rifle, I'm just too damn lazy to walk my a** all the way down to the end of the 600 yard range and score my own targets. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Sergei Simonov

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:15 am
Fresnel
We made our own range. If you want a table, you have to grab an ironing board and haul it down with you, and with a range bag in one hand and a rifle case in the other, you're already short on hands. And you probably don't have to deal with prickly s**t. Not only do we have cactus, but a lot of our four-inch-high weeds are covered with spines and burs, so you risk laying in spines at any given time.

And it is definitely tons of fun to have a long-range rifle, I'm just too damn lazy to walk my a** all the way down to the end of the 600 yard range and score my own targets. xd

Yeah, no prickly stuff up here. The briers are really bad in some places though. I live in the middle of the woods, so I just walk a couple hundred feet out to my little shooting area. Just some logs propped up enough to kneel behind, with a tree directly across from it 30 yards or so away.  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff