Curious... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OddeoFreq

Familiar Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:28 am
Im intrested about the whole furry thing. Im not sure about fully dressing up as (at least anytime soon) but i would like to learn more. Is it a choice like picking up a hobby or is it something that has to be born into your personality?

If it helps i have a few personality test results on my profile.

Other things about me to help give insite: I love twilight (moonlight not the glittery vampires). i am photophobic. i wuv my kitties cat_4laugh cat_whee anything cute, tiny, and fluffy is like Kryptonite to me. i love soft fuzzy anything, stuffies, blankets, etc...
and most of all, i have never felt fully comfortable around the average person. in other words i dont feel like im human. i dont know if im more like a cyber-organism, or something else.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:25 pm
It's different with everyone obviously. I found with myself it was always obvious, being an artist I always had anthropomorphic characters growing up I just never realised furries were a thing.

If you're interested in it right now you'll probably get into it.

Megalo Dawn

OddeoFreq

Familiar Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:33 pm
So, where do i go from here?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:58 pm
I would say get to know people. You've joined this guild so that'll help. Also probably thinking about fursonas. Just play around with stuff and talk to people about it and see where you fit into it all. 3nodding  

Megalo Dawn

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:42 pm
Furries are members of a fandom, so it's a hobby no different than Trekkies with Star Trek.

Anything spiritual/some mental delves into the therian territory most likely, though there are religions independent of that group such as Shamanistic ones. Those tend to be more common in hunter-gatherer societies though....well, and agricultural ones, but not like American Midwest Ag. Talkin' more Amazon Ag, or bits of Africa Ag. Maybe even the Aboriginals would fall under it but I do not know much about their society.

Anyway!
There are no real requirements to being a furry other than being a fan of anthropomorphic creatures, generally those dealing with animals versus ...like...virii or plants. Pretty simple and straight forward for the most part. Everything else is just a perk.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm
Like Garek said, Furry is just fandom and you join if you like it. You're a furry if you consider yourself one. There's no special requirements to being furry, and everyone takes their enjoyment of the fandom to their own level.
Some people just enjoy/make the art, some people make a fursona to represent themselves, some people dress in a fursuit. Everyone does their own thing.  

shoki_de_nai

Fuzzy Canine

12,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Robodicks

Robotic Exhibitionist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:57 pm
Just hang out and talk to people here. That's what the guild is for, after all.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:06 pm
Cattubus
It's different with everyone obviously. I found with myself it was always obvious, being an artist I always had anthropomorphic characters growing up I just never realised furries were a thing.

If you're interested in it right now you'll probably get into it.

I have to agree with this. Being an anthro artist really helped me get into the fandom, but it works differently with everyone.
You should really try visiting a con. Most cons are where people make connections and friends and the people there are usually really nice and inviting.

Memorex_TDK

catora

Mythical Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:37 pm
Oh I love this kind of topic, cause I'm working on a psychology degree and some day I wanna write a dissertation on furry psychology. Because it's a very interesting group to study, Furry is this subculture that can be blended with any other subculture, you can be a raver furry, goth furry, hipster furry, you name it. You can't really say that for, say, a trekie, ever seen a gothic trekie? And it may happen, but not as fluidly as furries do it, because furry isn't really a culture about changing your life style, it focuses on changing the body and physical form. Which makes it further interesting, because where you can dress and act goth, thus being goth, I can never truly be a furry. I can get pretty close with fursuiting, but the bulk of what this culture is about, is rooted in the imagination. As for what makes someone a furry, I have theories, but no solid facts. If I were to guess the major contributor, it would be mainstream furry media, cartoons you watched as a kid, there's a thousand shows and movies I could list all with anthropomorphic characters. I think this roots an idea in some people, this interest in variations of the human form, cause it's very striking to see another bipedal creature that isn't human and in our quest for our mind to comprehend what beauty is this can lead to some really interesting thought processes. It's a strange bridge for our reverence of the beauty of the natural world and our social constructs of beauty, blurring the two together so that we can enjoy both but have it be something unique in it's own right. Purely fascinating. But yeah, OddeoFreq, for a simple answer, you're a furry if you like anthropomorphics in what ever way you chose, drawing, rp, fursuiting, or even staring at from the side lines, you name it, you wanna be a furry, your a furry, we're a very accepting and loving group. Now to reward people who actually got through that monster paragraph, here's an adorable kitten  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:14 am
catora
Oh I love this kind of topic, cause I'm working on a psychology degree and some day I wanna write a dissertation on furry psychology. Because it's a very interesting group to study, Furry is this subculture that can be blended with any other subculture, you can be a raver furry, goth furry, hipster furry, you name it. You can't really say that for, say, a trekie, ever seen a gothic trekie? And it may happen, but not as fluidly as furries do it, because furry isn't really a culture about changing your life style, it focuses on changing the body and physical form. Which makes it further interesting, because where you can dress and act goth, thus being goth, I can never truly be a furry. I can get pretty close with fursuiting, but the bulk of what this culture is about, is rooted in the imagination. As for what makes someone a furry, I have theories, but no solid facts. If I were to guess the major contributor, it would be mainstream furry media, cartoons you watched as a kid, there's a thousand shows and movies I could list all with anthropomorphic characters. I think this roots an idea in some people, this interest in variations of the human form, cause it's very striking to see another bipedal creature that isn't human and in our quest for our mind to comprehend what beauty is this can lead to some really interesting thought processes. It's a strange bridge for our reverence of the beauty of the natural world and our social constructs of beauty, blurring the two together so that we can enjoy both but have it be something unique in it's own right. Purely fascinating. But yeah, OddeoFreq, for a simple answer, you're a furry if you like anthropomorphics in what ever way you chose, drawing, rp, fursuiting, or even staring at from the side lines, you name it, you wanna be a furry, your a furry, we're a very accepting and loving group. Now to reward people who actually got through that monster paragraph, here's an adorable kitten

someone pelase pass the aspirin.

the itteh-bitteh kitteh is FRICKIN CUTE!!!  

OddeoFreq

Familiar Gaian

catora

Mythical Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:25 am
OddeoFreq
catora

someone pelase pass the aspirin.

the itteh-bitteh kitteh is FRICKIN CUTE!!!

blaugh I know! I got a million pics like this. Oh and thanks for the friend request!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:24 pm
catora
Oh I love this kind of topic, cause I'm working on a psychology degree and some day I wanna write a dissertation on furry psychology. Because it's a very interesting group to study, Furry is this subculture that can be blended with any other subculture, you can be a raver furry, goth furry, hipster furry, you name it. You can't really say that for, say, a trekie, ever seen a gothic trekie? And it may happen, but not as fluidly as furries do it, because furry isn't really a culture about changing your life style, it focuses on changing the body and physical form. Which makes it further interesting, because where you can dress and act goth, thus being goth, I can never truly be a furry. I can get pretty close with fursuiting, but the bulk of what this culture is about, is rooted in the imagination.

Well, according to a social psychologist (student? I never asked) I'm talking to, there is someone at Texas A&M University doing research on how all fandoms are relatively similar to each other and serve many of the same purposes. I found out by mentioning to him the following article, in which someone managed to create a model that seems to apply to most cities very well. It's sort of a basic law to work with, despite being very new and will probably need tweaking.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/magazine/19Urban_West-t.html?pagewanted=all
The researcher points out that while each city has it's own unique features, that is all besides the point since focusing on those features ignores the many similarities. It's also really cool to find out that cities are extremely efficient and "green" all considering.

Anyway, that doesn't mean the furry fandom lacks unique aspects, but when anime fans, trekkies, and furries all have online communities, media they watch, and conventions they attend while also dressing up as characters, that says there's a lot of similarity. It also probably means they serve the same social functions as each other.

Er, and you don't have to be imaginative to be a furry. razz
I've seen plenty of furs that lack imagination just as I've seen some that have an amazing imagination that sometimes makes me envious. sad  

Garek Maxwell

ryukane satori

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:35 pm
catora

Hmmm...food for though.
Anthropology has much to offer on this subject. It is more encompassing than psychology, and includes cultural perspective. Not dissing on psychology, but it does have its' limits within the discipline. Not so with anthropology, which is holistic in nature.
I prefer a middle of the road approach, with both disciplines on each side. Though I do have to say I am biased towards anthropology. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:11 am
I started drawing anthro/furry out of money, and then it sort if... grew on me.  

ronnie92

Phantom

7,665 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • First Fall 15
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Yumitoko II

Eloquent Genius

14,575 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:42 am
OddeoFreq
Im intrested about the whole furry thing. Im not sure about fully dressing up as (at least anytime soon) but i would like to learn more. Is it a choice like picking up a hobby or is it something that has to be born into your personality?

If it helps i have a few personality test results on my profile.

Other things about me to help give insite: I love twilight (moonlight not the glittery vampires). i am photophobic. i wuv my kitties cat_4laugh cat_whee anything cute, tiny, and fluffy is like Kryptonite to me. i love soft fuzzy anything, stuffies, blankets, etc...
and most of all, i have never felt fully comfortable around the average person. in other words i dont feel like im human. i dont know if im more like a cyber-organism, or something else.
Hmmm seen as a herd much?

Quote:
I love twilight (moonlight not the glittery vampires). i am photophobic.

It's not a joke you know... cat_stare

Get some sunglasses on and turn away from your computer and tv screens. >.>
The furry experience is different for everyone, it's not a religion, just a fandom. You might like the pictures, role-play, costumes, etc etc. You'll find what you like.

Furries ARE NORMAL PEOPLE TOO... so if you don't feel comfortable round the average person then you just might not be comfortable around anyone.
We don't place ourselves above or below people.

Think normal people. Being in a fandom doesn't make you not normal...take for example people who like star wars, star trek, anime and manga....you get my drift.

NORMAL.

Good luck. cat_razz  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas