Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Academy
You, I, He, She?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bloody Rosen Knight

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Atou... Sumimasen, I have a question? What is the vocab for words like I, you, he, she, they? I want to know so I can put in my notebook I've been using for this guild so I can expand my sentence-making abilities. I think watashi means 'I', correct? If so, what are the others?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:09 pm
Not 100% sure about he/she. The ones I do know are kare, kanojo, aitsu, soitsu, koitsu, and yatsu.

For you there are many. Polite anata, informal anta, personal kimi, rude omae, really rude kisama, temee, onore.

For I there is polite watashi, ultra polite watakushi, feminine atashi, washi used by elderly, old fashioned ware, I/you hybrid meaning jibun, masculine boku, rude ore, really rude oresama.  

Acobjum

Intellectual Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:06 pm
There ARE words for those things, but they are not often used in conversation because it is considered to be rude. You should almost always use the specific name of the person you are talking about. It might sound a little funny to English speakers, but you do.

Pronouns are usually eliminated from speech altogether. When you say "ni jyuu ni sai desu" (22 years old), it's implied that YOU are 22 years old. Starting every sentence with "watashi wa" would get boring.

To say "I", you have a few options. Females can use "watashi" or "atashi" if they're being cutesy. Males can use "watashi" or "boku". In very casual conversation, you can use "ore", but using in that in the wrong context can be taken as rudeness. Never use your own name with an honorific to refer to yourself - it sounds very conceited.

To say "you", you could say "anata", but it's better to use the other person's name.

If the person is within sight, you can refer to them by location. For instance, you can use "ano hito" (that person), "ano otoko no hito" (that man) or "ano onna no hito" (that woman).

The terms "kare" and "kanojo" mean "he" and "she", respectively, but be careful using those; they also mean "boyfriend" and "girlfriend".  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:15 pm
Arigato!! cat_blaugh  

Bloody Rosen Knight

Demonic Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Bookworm 100
Japanese Academy

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash