Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
Miss Ravenwolf?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dr. H. Lecter

Dangerous Prophet

7,800 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 am
Soooooooooo.... a friend of mine told me of a 'wonderful' book by Silver Ravenwolf, which s he professed to be the bible of a learning pagan. I smiled and nodded, and sent her away.

She's rather... how is this put? Fluffy? So, I take what she says with a grain of salt. But I wanted to know, as I'be heard some choice things about Miss Ravenwolf, what are the facts on her book? Would it be best to direct my friend elsewere?

Edit: I'm aware my siggy takes from her poem in the aformentioned book. I thought it was pretty, so I kept a copy.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:09 am
Tell your friend to burn it to exorcise the evils it contains.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:58 am
Previous threads on the subject from our Reading Room forum...

* silver ravenwolf?

* Silver Ravenwolf

While the poem is nice, it really sort of epitomizes part of what is wrong with her works (aside from the ethical and historical accuracy issues) - that witchcraft (and/or Wicca) is all "rainbows and ponies", and that we are all that is "good and pure" in the world.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:09 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Tell your friend to burn it to exorcise the evils it contains.
This.

Don't take Ravenwolf with anything. Don't even take it. You'd need a dumptruck of salt to go with her books. Set it aflame and run headlong in the opposite direction in case the spirits of ignorance and stupidity decide to try and take you with them.  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

Bamfiz

Greedy Capitalist

8,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:07 pm
When I was first starting I bought a Silver Ravenwolf book thinking "It can't be THAT bad..." Well I was wrong mad . First she makes up a bunch of stuff up on the "History" of witchcraft without referencing anything. Her herbs section is screwed up ( burning_eyes She lists some poisonous herbs without warnings.) Her, 'Christians don't know anything and Wiccans are the only people who are in the right',way of thinking also makes me mad stressed I ended up using her Solitary Witch Guide as a door stopper until it was Winter, in which I used it to make a fire biggrin

sweatdrop Sorry a bit of a rant. One book is never good, when on the path one needs to read as many books as possible (and it's even better if you get a wide variety of authors.) So even if you can't convince your friend to avoid Ravenwolf, at least convince her to read a couple of other (good) books, perhaps she will change her mind. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:12 pm
Nalafei
I ended up using her Solitary Witch Guide as a door stopper until it was Winter, in which I used it to make a fire biggrin
At least your money didn't go to waste completely xd  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

Dr. H. Lecter

Dangerous Prophet

7,800 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:13 pm
Right. Well. I'm going to have to send her a text, aren't I?

So, I'm gonna have to put her work on my "DON'T" list. Right behind Twilight and the Eragon movie.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:08 pm
Actually IMO, I'd put SRW in front of Twilight and Eragon. Only because Eragon was only entertaining until I read the book and I can stomach more of Twilight than I can of SRW.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Dr. H. Lecter

Dangerous Prophet

7,800 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:12 am
I put Twilight above it not because the vampires sparkle, which I hate but also find rather creative. I put Twilight so high up because it's sexist, encourages stalking, obsession and for girls to be co-dependent on a relationship that simply isn't healthy.

Not to mention that the main characters are about as entertaining as watching paint dry. The interesting characters only get about ten lines in total through all four books.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:23 am
I know. I have friends who've finished all 4 books. Plus my sister. But I look at it this way, I was able to read a good 50 pages of the first book. Couldn't even read 10 of SRW.
*page numbers subject to change. I haven't read either in a while and I'm prone to forget things. I get the feeling I underestimated how many pages I've read in each.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Bamfiz

Greedy Capitalist

8,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:49 pm
As someone who has read The Solitary Witch Guide cover to cover and all 4 Twilight books (I am the type that has to finish reading a book/series no matter how terrible it is.) I would have to say Silver beats Stephanie in awfulness. At least Stephanie tried (though failed sweatdrop ) to be creative while Silver mixed a couple of hallucinatory herbs in her incense section lol .

I learned things from both:
Meyer: You don't have to pass your English classes to become a famous author. smile
Ravenwolf: As long as you print REALLY big books, people will buy them despite the content. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:56 pm
exclaim Forgot to add, I was so disappointed when the Eragon movie came out. Apparently from the perspective of someone that didn't read the books it was awesome. For those who did; IT WAS SO BAD! They didn't include most of the main pieces, like the Varden and the elves. How are they even going to be able to make a second movie when they screwed up the story line so badly?  

Bamfiz

Greedy Capitalist

8,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200

Venra Axel Prey

Wealthy Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:33 pm
Opinion on Ravenwolf:

When I was 16:
OMG SHE'S SO COOL AND NO-NONSENSE I LOVE HER YAAAAYYYYY

When I am 18:
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:03 pm
User Image  

Kelsey MacAilbert

*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games