Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply The Sims 3
I really wish this was a real thing...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Good idea?
  Yes, I want it!
  Nah, I wouldn't use it.
  I have a better idea!
View Results

Esri

Generous Millionaire

7,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:42 pm
I don't know about you guys, but really wish the game would autosave.

Sometimes I'll be playing for a long time, and I'll get a lot done, then POOF, my computer decides to close the program for no apparent reason. This is one of the few things that ruins such a great game.

They should make an option to autosave. Like, you can set it to how often you want it to save and on a file to file basis. Me, personally, I would make it save at least every 45 minutes.

I know sometimes it takes a long time for the game to save, like mine sometimes takes a minute or two but I honestly wouldn't mind it. If anything, it should remind you to save. That can be an option too. Like a pop-up in the corner that asks you if you want to save the game, and you can set how often you want that to do so. Or, not do it at all. Naturally, the time increments would have to be in REAL hours, not sim hours. Nobody wants they game to save every 2 minutes.

I can't tell you guys how much progress I've lost because I forgot to save! It's so annoying!

I like to build houses, and I'll spend countless hours on one house and sometimes my computer will spaz and exit out of the program, so they would have to figure out a way to save it while you're in build/buy mode.

So, my question to my fellow simmers is:
If an autosave function were available, would you use it?
If not, why?
Also, do you have any ideas that would contribute to making something like this more user-friendly?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:27 pm
I would only use it if it were kept as separate files, like Oblivion or Skyrim. It would be great when I don't realize that I haven't saved for awhile and then it crashes, but not so great when something bad happens (not even game events, but sometimes glitches that are only fixed by reloading) and the autosave ate up my last reliable reload. It could be a game-breaker at that point.  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:53 am
If you use AwesomeMod you can already do this. There is a tunable section of the config file that lets you tell the game how often to auto-save and how many auto-saves to keep.

Now I do use AwesomeMod but I do not use the autosave feature. I don't like the idea that the game could save after something bad happens and give me no way to go back prior to it.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:57 am
An option for Autosaving is a good idea, but I wouldn't use it.

I had a game before (Nothing Sims related) that ALWAYS autosaved. There was no option, it just always did it. I thought it wouldn't be so bad at first, but each time I load up a game, all the autosaves were on file ALONG with my saved games, which was rather strange to me. It autosaved often as well, so I had all these autosaves to scroll through before I actually got to my loaded games.

It's likely autosaving wouldn't be anything like that on a Sims game, but I'd rather do it manually anyway.  

Allrose

Beloved Lunatic

15,750 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
The Sims 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items