Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GreenInkling
Crew

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:21 pm

I haven't forgotten you, dearest guild!
    You deserve some Christmas love, too!

What are some of ya'll's Christmas traditions?
    What do you do for Christmas Eve? Do you celebrate Three Kings' Day?
    Is there a special food you have every year?
    Do you attend Mass or a service?
    Did you do anything special this year?

(And thank you Vetus Gainus Christmas elf!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:56 pm
GreenInkling

I'm glad you made this! Sadly, I didn't even notice this thread until today. sweatdrop

We don't celebrate Three King's Day (not sure what it is to be honest), but we do go to the Christmas Eve service at church on Christmas Eve night. They always have communion, and light the last advent candle. This year, I was really happy to get to go to church on Christmas day. It really put Christmas in the proper perspective. My mom always makes a peppermint candy cake which is absolutely amazing. whee We always open presents on Christmas Eve night after the service, but my brother's new girlfriend was at our house all day long (and they were watching movies in his room all day and night), we didn't get to open gifts until after midnight. It was okay though. I felt bad for the girl. Her mom was out all night, partying with friends, and she didn't come home to her daughter until morning. sad  

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Elocutionist 200

GreenInkling
Crew

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:26 pm
LilChibiusa
GreenInkling

I'm glad you made this! Sadly, I didn't even notice this thread until today. sweatdrop

We don't celebrate Three King's Day (not sure what it is to be honest), but we do go to the Christmas Eve service at church on Christmas Eve night. They always have communion, and light the last advent candle. This year, I was really happy to get to go to church on Christmas day. It really put Christmas in the proper perspective. My mom always makes a peppermint candy cake which is absolutely amazing. whee We always open presents on Christmas Eve night after the service, but my brother's new girlfriend was at our house all day long (and they were watching movies in his room all day and night), we didn't get to open gifts until after midnight. It was okay though. I felt bad for the girl. Her mom was out all night, partying with friends, and she didn't come home to her daughter until morning. sad

So I take it you guys' like opening presents to be a family-only affair?
    We had to do ours in front of my aunt, uncle, and cousin.
    We were kind of hoping they'd leave and head to their time-share condo before we opened them,
    but then we realized they were waiting for us before they left. xD

Three King's Day is January 6, also called Epiphany, the day the wise men visited the baby Jesus.
    In some cultures, children leave out hay for their camels the night before,
    and the kings leave them little gifts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:15 pm
GreenInkling
LilChibiusa
GreenInkling

So I take it you guys' like opening presents to be a family-only affair?
    We had to do ours in front of my aunt, uncle, and cousin.
    We were kind of hoping they'd leave and head to their time-share condo before we opened them,
    but then we realized they were waiting for us before they left. xD

Three King's Day is January 6, also called Epiphany, the day the wise men visited the baby Jesus.
    In some cultures, children leave out hay for their camels the night before,
    and the kings leave them little gifts.

Oh! I'm familiar with Epiphany! I just didn't know it by its other name. I don't think anyone at my church observes it, but I know about it all the same. I can't put my finger on how I learned about it though. confused

You're right. It's usually a family-only affair for us too. However, grandparents and other extended family count in that. Friends and girlfriends don't count in that category though. Since we usually have already given them their gifts (and not really invited them over to our house in the first place), we don't have anything to give them when we're opening presents. We feel it would be rude to open presents without having something for them to open. It's kind of the same principle as eating in front of guests without sharing.  

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200

GreenInkling
Crew

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:12 am
LilChibiusa
You're right. It's usually a family-only affair for us too. However, grandparents and other extended family count in that. Friends and girlfriends don't count in that category though. Since we usually have already given them their gifts (and not really invited them over to our house in the first place), we don't have anything to give them when we're opening presents. We feel it would be rude to open presents without having something for them to open. It's kind of the same principle as eating in front of guests without sharing.

I understand, I was raised similarly.
    I did have something for my little cousin, 'cause he's also my godson,
    but aunt and uncle didn't have anything to open with us.
    Awkward. XD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:47 pm
GreenInkling
LilChibiusa

Awkward. XD

That's when you run to the kitchen, throw some sweets in a gift bag, and pretend that you had planned your gift in advance. rofl I hope you got some cool stuff! I got a kindle, and I've been looking at all of the free books I can download to it. heart  

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200

GreenInkling
Crew

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:43 am
LilChibiusa
GreenInkling
LilChibiusa

Awkward. XD

That's when you run to the kitchen, throw some sweets in a gift bag, and pretend that you had planned your gift in advance. rofl I hope you got some cool stuff! I got a kindle, and I've been looking at all of the free books I can download to it. heart

Cool! I wonder if I would get a Kindle if I had the money . . . so far it hasn't interested me.
    Which is good, because as I said, I don't have the money. xD

I got a nice purse/bag, one of those Gwen Steffani Haru Juko (sp?) ones, but with a Scandinavian twist;
    a journal made from a reclaimed old book;
    some gourmet orangic chocolates;
    homemade flower vases.
    It was a thrifty year for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:28 pm
GreenInkling
LilChibiusa
GreenInkling
LilChibiusa

Awkward. XD

Cool! I wonder if I would get a Kindle if I had the money . . . so far it hasn't interested me.

I got a nice purse/bag, one of those Gwen Steffani Haru Juko (sp?) ones, but with a Scandinavian twist;
    homemade flower vases.

Did you mean Harajuku, as in the fashion trend thing at the station in Japan?

The main reason I got the kindle was so I could take my whole library with me to Japan. xd They have oodles of free books, mostly the classics though. Since half of my library is composed of classics, it suits me just fine! biggrin I also downloaded a book of Japanese fairy tales for free. I was sad to see that they don't have Harry Potter for the kindle yet.  

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200

GreenInkling
Crew

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:31 pm
LilChibiusa
GreenInkling
LilChibiusa
GreenInkling
LilChibiusa

Awkward. XD

homemade flower vases.

The main reason I got the kindle was so I could take my whole library with me to Japan. xd They have oodles of free books, mostly the classics though. Since half of my library is composed of classics, it suits me just fine! biggrin I also downloaded a book of Japanese fairy tales for free. I was sad to see that they don't have Harry Potter for the kindle yet.

That's probably it.
    Gwen Steffani made a huge comeback after she went to Japan and was inspired by the Harajuku culture.
    If you've seen her latest videos, she always has Japanese schoolgirls in them,
    and she has a whole line of perfumes and other merchandise called Harajuku Lovers.

And that's crazy they don't have HP for Kindle yet.
    I'd think that would be the first thing they offered.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:44 pm
GreenInkling
LilChibiusa
GreenInkling
LilChibiusa
GreenInkling
LilChibiusa

Awkward. XD

homemade flower vases.

That's probably it.
    Gwen Steffani made a huge comeback after she went to Japan and was inspired by the Harajuku culture.
    If you've seen her latest videos, she always has Japanese schoolgirls in them,
    and she has a whole line of perfumes and other merchandise called Harajuku Lovers.

And that's crazy they don't have HP for Kindle yet.
    I'd think that would be the first thing they offered.

I wonder if they have Harry Potter for the Nook. confused

I'm not really familiar with her, but I know what those fashions are. There's actually a funny comic I found about it among a bunch of JET comics.

Click Here for the Comic  

LilChibiusa
Captain

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200

GreenInkling
Crew

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:07 pm
LilChibiusa

Yep, that's gotta be the one Gwen Steffani loves.
    (Her songs are all right, but I preferred her in No Doubt.)

Ye Olde Lobby

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games